Bruce Lee Was the Best Eva!

Come on you know you wanted to make the thread :slight_smile:

What no pic?

I appreciate the joke, but letā€™s hope we donā€™t seriously see more of these threads (mods, make note please)

prime mike tyson ko1

damn you

You know, I thought about posting this when I saw slim jim portending it in antoehr thread, but I decided I didnt want to antagonize anybody ā€¦ this is still funny

Seeing this post just made my day :slight_smile:
I canā€™t even think of where to begin if I were to say why I thought he was awesome, because there are just so many reasons that this guy kicks ass.
If I had one wish, It would be to be able to train with Bruce Lee.

While obviously I was just being facetious. Fact remains that bruce lee is the reason why MANY of us got into martial arts. He helped to influence a whole generation, and as far as fight choreography a lot of his techniques are still used today.

Itā€™s debateable to say whether or not he was as good as his lore indicates but he at least opened his mind to the idea of cross training before most of the world (if he wasnā€™t the first). And according to student Larry Hartsell he had begun constructing ideas for a combat league that combined disciplines from all over the world (ie, UFC).

Imo, if he had still been alive he would have been a dynamic enough character to have gotten a ufc type league on its feet and to become a serious contender in the world of sports not just a freakshow occurrence (and currently an xtreme sport akin to skateboarding or skydiving).

Regardless of the MA fantatics he was an amazing character.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
While obviously I was just being facetious. Fact remains that bruce lee is the reason why MANY of us got into martial arts. He helped to influence a whole generation, and as far as fight choreography a lot of his techniques are still used today.

Itā€™s debateable to say whether or not he was as good as his lore indicates but he at least opened his mind to the idea of cross training before most of the world (if he wasnā€™t the first). And according to student Larry Hartsell he had begun constructing ideas for a combat league that combined disciplines from all over the world (ie, UFC).

Imo, if he had still been alive he would have been a dynamic enough character to have gotten a ufc type league on its feet and to become a serious contender in the world of sports not just a freakshow occurrence (and currently an xtreme sport akin to skateboarding or skydiving).

Regardless of the MA fantatics he was an amazing character.[/quote]

If you ever get the chance to buy it, buy one of his 7 volumes he published when he injured his back called " The art of expressing the human body"
It illustrates a lot of his triumphs and also shows his own personal workout journals.

been there done that, seen the originalā€™s from guru inosanto

[quote]Brucelee69 wrote:
If you ever get the chance to buy it, buy one of his 7 volumes he published when he injured his back called " The art of expressing the human body"
It illustrates a lot of his triumphs and also shows his own personal workout journals.
[/quote]

You mean the book John Little admitted to putting together and stamping Bruce Leeā€™s name on it to push his (Littleā€™s) idea of weight training? The same one the Linda Lee Caldwell Bruce Lee thingie really, REALLY pushed hard to get more of the tragic, triumphant Lee idol-worship going?

However the bodybuilders may ridicule newbs that cite Lee as an inspiration, the general BL hate is in my opinion unwarranted. Sure, the hype can be a bit much, but to deny his importance as a fitness and martial arts icon, and just as significantly, as perhaps the most pre-eminent philosopher whoā€™s thoughts prefigured the MMA revolution, demonstrates shallow historical understanding and, frankly, ignorance.

Bruce Lee isnā€™t my idol by any means, but I count him an influence without hesitation.

[quote]Vash wrote:
Brucelee69 wrote:

You mean the book John Little admitted to putting together and stamping Bruce Leeā€™s name on it to push his (Littleā€™s) idea of weight training? The same one the Linda Lee Caldwell Bruce Lee thingie really, REALLY pushed hard to get more of the tragic, triumphant Lee idol-worship going?[/quote]

well, If you did your homework instead of just getting little bits and peices of fact, you would know what the accual scenario is. The volumes were written by Bruce. If you pick it up and read, it is bruceā€™s notes furthermore described and simplified by the people that put the volumes together. His collegues and students describe his notes in further detail.

[quote]qiezi wrote:
However the bodybuilders may ridicule newbs that cite Lee as an inspiration, the general BL hate is in my opinion unwarranted. Sure, the hype can be a bit much, but to deny his importance as a fitness and martial arts icon, and just as significantly, as perhaps the most pre-eminent philosopher whoā€™s thoughts prefigured the MMA revolution, demonstrates shallow historical understanding and, frankly, ignorance.

Bruce Lee isnā€™t my idol by any means, but I count him an influence without hesitation.[/quote]

The hype is a bit much is an understatement. While he has an undeniable impact on martial arts and their popularity in America (and other places,) it is ridiculous when people continuously claim he was the greatest fighter. There is simply no evidence to back this up. Zero.

I also have no problem with bodybuilders bagging on people who come to a bodybuilding website and post aspirations to acquire his physique, a bodybuilderā€™s goals are different.

This whole idea that Bruce Lee revolutionized everything by introducing cross training is garbage. Cross training has been used pretty much ever since people started training to fight in an organized fashion. Thousands of years ago military organizations definitely cross trained. If you use more than one weapon or set of techniques you are cross training.

Modern military for instance was cross training way before Lee was born. Soldiers were taught how to use guns, knives and their hands rather than just one thing. Ancient gladiators cross trained because they often had to learn to use more than one weapon since random weapons were given at times to the fighters.

Any sport with striking and grappling is cross training such as Pankration.

You could argue Bruce Lee made mixed martial arts more popular and opened up new opportunities for it to be shown on television rather than straight boxing or Olympic wrestling. Sure, thatā€™s fine. But saying he may have been the ā€œfirst everā€ is just bs.

Thereā€™s no maybe that he was the first whatsoever. In addition many other people hyped mixed martial arts so if he didnā€™t do it someone else probably would have. Why donā€™t we worship Chuck Norris to then since he actually made his own fighting league, fought in tournaments and had his own action movies? The reality of how effective his training was is equally questionable.

[quote]nothingclever wrote:
This whole idea that Bruce Lee revolutionized everything by introducing cross training is garbage. Cross training has been used pretty much ever since people started training to fight in an organized fashion. Thousands of years ago military organizations definitely cross trained. If you use more than one weapon or set of techniques you are cross training. Modern military for instance was cross training way before Lee was born. Soldiers were taught how to use guns, knives and their hands rather than just one thing. Ancient gladiators cross trained because they often had to learn to use more than one weapon since random weapons were given at times to the fighters.

Any sport with striking and grappling is cross training such as Pankration.

You could argue Bruce Lee made mixed martial arts more popular and opened up new opportunities for it to be shown on television rather than straight boxing or Olympic wrestling. Sure, thatā€™s fine. But saying he may have been the ā€œfirst everā€ is just bs.

Thereā€™s no maybe that he was the first whatsoever. In addition many other people hyped mixed martial arts so if he didnā€™t do it someone else probably would have. Why donā€™t we worship Chuck Norris to then since he actually made his own fighting league, fought in tournaments and had his own action movies? The reality of how effective his training was is equally questionable.[/quote]

Iā€™ve argued this for years, good post.

sorry what i meant by first was first in that time period when asian martial arts were becoming super popular, and everyone claimed thereā€™s was the best. Revoluntionary for his time period.

even chinese martial arts (shuai jiao i believe) have grappling so its not like he did something completely knew.

He still paved the way for mma imo

[quote]nothingclever wrote:
Why donā€™t we worship Chuck Norris to then [/quote]

Excuse me, we dont worship chuck norris? The man for whom the bogeyman checks his closet at night? The man whose pajamas Superman sleeps in? The man whose tears could cure cancer, if only he had ever cried, even once in his life?

The man who has not paid taxes in 30 years, instead simply sending the IRS a picture of himself in the crouched and ready position and has never been audited? The man who does nto go hunting, since hunting implies the possibility of failure, and instead goes ā€˜killing?ā€™ That man? We donā€™t worship him?

Yea thats news to me too wtf do you mean we donā€™t worship chuck norris???

BELIEVE.