T Nation

Brown Sugar: Simple or Complex Carb

Like the title says: Brown sugar – A simple or complex carb?

Simple…its sugar. Btw honey is simple too.

well its brown…? ahha jk you pointed out the obvious, thanks :slight_smile:

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
well its brown…? ahha jk you pointed out the obvious, thanks :)[/quote]

Questioned answered already (I think), but brown sugar is simply refined white sugar + molasses, which is also fairly simple in structure.

i use brown sugar in my coffee sometimes… wondering if i should just use splenda instead?

If you’re dieting you should use a sweater (splenda) as brown sugar is equal to eating an apple (they’re both simple carbs)

Head explodes

[quote]rsg wrote:
Head explodes[/quote]

That was my first reaction too. :wink:

Reminds me of the time I heard “Dark chocolate is healthy for you, so that means Dark Snickers are okay too, right?”

haha yea i was thinking too deep and forgot the fact that brown sugar was infact – a sugar.

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
If you’re dieting you should use a sweater (splenda) as brown sugar is equal to eating an apple (they’re both simple carbs)[/quote]

If you MUST use a sweetener, use xylitol.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Hussayn wrote:
If you’re dieting you should use a sweater (splenda) as brown sugar is equal to eating an apple (they’re both simple carbs)

[/quote]

Please elaborate/educate… Is it due to the cancer thing?

Xylitol and Stevia are just naturally derived sweeteners as compared to artificial stuff. Without getting into all the studies and scientific bs it just seems to be a healthier choice. I have used both Xylitol and Stevia and I prefer the taste as well when conpared to Splenda, Equal or other sweeteners.

just drink it black you wuss

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Hussayn wrote:

[/quote]

I’d much rather use Splenda.

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
If you’re dieting you should use a sweater (splenda) as brown sugar is equal to eating an apple (they’re both simple carbs)[/quote]

NO. You question whether any kind of sugar might be a complex carb and then you equate it to a fruit. You’re all kinds of confused. The container matters. It matters very much. A fiber-rich apple is nothing like table sugar.

splenda is gods gift to cutting

Just because something is natural does not make it better, this is a logical fallacy. There are many, many things that are natural that will kill you… I’ll need a bit more “evidence” than that to switch over from another sweetener to stevia or xylitol.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Just because something is natural does not make it better, this is a logical fallacy. There are many, many things that are natural that will kill you… I’ll need a bit more “evidence” than that to switch over from another sweetener to stevia or xylitol.[/quote]

True, natural things can kill you but like I said it “seems” healthier to choose sweeteners that are plant derived vs created in a lab. I’m not going to start looking up articles and such to get you to switch over to using Stevia. It’s a personal choice what you decide to use and I thought it was worth mentioning the alternatives to artificial sweeteners for those interested.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
just drink it black you wuss[/quote]
Eventually, you will acquire the taste. Just like extra 90% cocoa dark chocaolate.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
just drink it black you wuss[/quote]

Exact, you little girl, drink it black :wink: