Brother's 741 Gangsta Proclivities

My gym opened back up, and I am back in the gym. I read Rippetoe’s article and I figured I’d use his shit to get started after sitting on my ass for a few months (read: no sprinting, no field work, and no real goals)

Monday

Stretch & mobility work w/ foam rolling

Squats

• Worked up to 5x285

Bench Press

• Worked up to 5x215

Dead lift

• Worked up to 5x325

Barbell Curls
Neck work

Tuesday

Ran hills which was so horrible I’m not going to post how many I did.

Yay you got a log :smiley:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Yay you got a log :smiley:
[/quote]

Sammich, woman! You should talk to me more often, I figure you left the site or something.

Sorry, I won’t leave you again.

:wink:

Double Post so here is short read for anyone visit my log.

Moving North of Vag
I canâ??t take credit for this name. I wish I could, but both the idea and the name come from my good friend Jim Messer. Jim and I have been friends since junior high, and we have the kind of friendship that doesnâ??t require us to talk every week. Or even every year. This is more of an idea. A concept, if you will.

Jim started training with the 5/3/1 method without my knowing it, and heâ??s had great success. He emailed me and let me know about this. Hereâ??s part of an email he wrote to me:
I feel compelled to tell you that after a few months of using the now-legendary 5/3/1, I have now moved somewhat north of being an utter vag. I fked my body up pretty badly last winter, stopped all physical activity, and thought that was pretty much gonna be it. Just another skinny fking wimp. Itâ??s been a really long time since Iâ??ve felt this good physically. By God, last week I puked in my mouth and almost blacked out squatting. Iâ??d thought that time in my life was over.

After I stopped laughing, I began thinking about his statement and about how many people seem to be moving and staying well south of vag. To quote Black Sabbath, this is a symptom of the universe. Then I started to contemplate how one stays in the Northern Hemisphere of the Holy Holes. What followed was the training template Iâ??ll show you now. Itâ??s very simple to follow:

1. Warm-up: foam rolling, static stretching and jumping rope (or something similar).

2. Lift Weights: 5/3/1; keep it basic and strong.

3. Condition: Run hills, push Prowler.

Thatâ??s it. Do this 3-4 times a week and you wonâ??t fall into the trap of being normal. Youâ??ll be strong, healthy and in shape. You wonâ??t make New Yearâ??s resolutions because youâ??ll be living it every day. You can eat that final piece of pie and not count carbs because you just ran 20 hill sprints for the third time this week. You can wake up and not feel like shit because youâ??ve actually taken the time to foam roll and stretch. You actually have some traps from deadlifting. You donâ??t fall for fitness trends, because you know what works. You stop caring what people say on the internet, because youâ??re always making progress. Youâ??re always moving forward toward something.

People ask you how to train, and you answer, â??I look at what you do, and then I do the exact opposite.â??

Youâ??ll actually be able to move because your feet will be fast from jumping rope. You wonâ??t be out of breath all the time. Youâ??ll be able to take on any physical activity you want. Youâ??ll be different once youâ??ve spent time straining to get a rep PR in the squat or pushed a Prowler for 40 minutes. Dealing with the idiots at work or your boss will no longer be an issue. Itâ??s hard to bring a man down after heâ??s had three weeks of personal records in the gym. Itâ??s hard to get mad at the guy who cuts you off in traffic after youâ??ve left your lunch on top of the hill after bear crawling up it. Who cares about all that meaningless stuff? When your training and your life are moving forward, you certainly wonâ??t.

It doesnâ??t take a lot to do this. You already give 8-10 hours a day to your boss and to your work. To boredom and to people and organizations that couldnâ??t care less about you. Then your family and friends get the rest of your time.

What about you? Do you really think so little of yourself that you canâ??t sacrifice an hour or two, 3-4 days a week, for yourself? This â??meâ?? time isnâ??t spent shopping, watching TV or getting on the internet. Youâ??re spending it reinvesting in your body, building strength, and building character. Kicking ass and training consistently â?? and with some balance â?? will do wonders for both your body and your mind.

Get rid of all the meaningless crap in your life and your training. Get rid of the things that bleed your energy in the weight room and in life. Whatâ??s better for you? The Prowler or a stroll on the treadmill? What do you think is going to make you better?

Donâ??t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnâ??t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. Iâ??ve got scars and blood and vomit.

This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me, too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back.

Something that pisses me off, it happens to be the first comment of where I found this article.

I think guy missed the whole fucking point of what Jim was saying…

Now, for what I am saying…how will you fucking know if it will work if you don’t get smash fucking weights? Try…Fail…Fail better…Try again.

I started out with BSF, that shit was horrible (the O lifts were great, but there was too much volume and intensity at one time, one good thing about it is that it didn’t have us kids maxing out every day, although it did have us doing rep maxes every week). That program had so much shit that I was doing every day that I am surprised I could play football. Or, even think. I give my father props here. If he hadn’t fed me the way, he did when I was in high school, I probably would have fucked myself up from going overboard. No wonder I gained so much weight when I stopped all that shit at once, I must have been eating my dad poor. But, I digress.

I hear it all the time, even from some of my friends. cough**cough Does it work? I don’t know why you donâ??t go bust your ass for a few months and try it. If it works, you’ll see if it works, if it doesn’t try something new. Kind of like a science module. It takes about 5-10 hours for a basic economics module to run. I may get impatient, but I can’t stop that shit after thirty minutes to check if it is working. I run that shit until it is done or fails That is what I did with BSF, I busted my ass with that shit for 10 months, didn’t work. I kept at it for a year; I finally started seeing results (this was through the summer). The program failed at its purpose So, I switched, found something that worked (thanks to Dave Tate) and stuck with that tell I graduate. It let me do my sports and get stronger at the same time.

6 October 2010, 2030 Wednesday

Squats

• Worked up to 3x5 315

Shoulder Press*

• Worked up to 3x5 55#

Power Clean**

• Worked with 5x3 135

Barbell Curls

• 3x12

• The gym in my basement has a ceiling of 8.5’ and I punched two holes in the dry wall when warming up, so I had to sit down and used dumbbells for my shoulder presses.

** Light weight, but I need to work on form and will increase weight in the next few workouts on these. I figured since I hadn’t touched a power clean since 12th grade I should take a low-moderate weight and work on form first.

Another article I’ve been reading 2-3x a week.

"I’m going to have to give you some Tough Lust here (no lube or spit). First, I need for you to re-read this article, especially this part:

"Where performance and kicking ass are more important than how you look. Where people eat to live, not live to eat. Where trucks are pushed and sleds are pulled. Where reps and weight are counted, calories are not. Where running isn’t “cardio, it’s part of training and if you’re going to walk for your conditioning you best have something on your back or in your hands”

You admit that you are not strong enough (many of us feel this way but understand that it is an ongoing process and that THIS process is important). But please DO NOT be that guy who talks about where he holds his fat or how his legs or “obliques” are fattier than they should be. Where has our gender gone?

What I would prescribe for you is to get rid of all these silly, pathetic and disgusting notions of what you think a man should look like and start over. I’m going to give everyone a huge hint here: no one gives a shit what you look like. Now I’m not saying being a fat slob doesn’t raise some eyebrows in disgust, but if you kick as much ass as possible int the weight room and conditioning field AND start OWNING the fuck out of your given “sport” (you better start competing and making your training count), you will not only LOOK better but you will feel better. People are not attracted to vanity - they are attracted to confidence and passion. No one owns a room by the way they look; it’s how they carry themselves.

There is so much more to this, but PLEASE don’t talk about your love handles. Talk about your passions in life, talk about how your moved boulders, talk about the books you’ve read, talk about the world’s you’ve changed. You have the passion for training, start making this shit count.

I know this is probably way off topic then what you wanted but I’m trying hard to get rid of all this bullshit that is plaguing SO MANY men, young men and boys. So in conclusion, I recommend this:

1. Stretch
  2. Lift
  3. Sprint

Do this all the time - no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker. Don’t be that guy that takes shirtless photos of himself so other men can drool on them. That shit is a disgrace to every man that has done anything awesome in his life - while they were busy “doing” these shirtless 'tards were busy trying to look the part. Get off the bench and get on the field. "

6 Surprising Cures for Depression: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1QjC6l/curetogether.com/blog/2010/04/22/6-surprising-depression-treatments//r:t

Atheist call the top four: meditation, exercise, sleep, and talk therapy. I call them prayer (meditation prayer, but prayer the same), mortification of the flesh, sleep (or rest), and confession. See the Bible had it right from the start. :wink:

10.8.2010:1815

I decided to try Dan John’s stretching tonight, and I feel my shit from my calves to my “rhomboids.”

Door Stretch
Hip Flex Stretch
Foam Roller

• Psifisis (whatever the muscle is crease of your leg is)
  • Calves
  • Hamstrings

Squats

• Worked up to 2x5 355, 1x4 355 (I had to dumb it on the last rep so I didn’t count it as a full set)

Bench Press

• Worked up to 3x5 215*

Dead lift

• Worked up to 3x5 325*

*Nothing else, I puked in the trash can, the dump took a ton out of me. By the time I got a bench and then a barbell I was fucking tired. Next time I go to the University gym, I’ll have to make sure that there isn’t a fucking class in there at the same time. The shit pissed me off, they have five benches (two flat, one flat but basically is 6 inches above the ground, two incline) and there is 25 students in a class, you know how many motherfucking benches where open the entire time I was there? Fucking none. Pissed me the fuck off. I had to work in to a group, and the whole time (they are training to be personal trainers) they kept telling me how to bench, which I am by far not a good bencher, but none of those motherfuckers weighed more than 175…that includes the green bean stalk of a giant that is 6’5".

I haven’t posted anything up on here, I have been working out, but was in two accidents (one real, one I just slide a few hundred feet down the road) and had a heavy case of homeworks this semester. Back to normal on Monday.

See you soon.

lol yay for you being in accidents.

prayers do work

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
lol yay for you being in accidents.

prayers do work[/quote]

I got Holy Water.

I am taking it hasn’t healed as fast as the rest of the body.

Monday - DL
225x5
285x5
315x5

Wednesday - Bench
135x5
185x5
215x5

Saturday - Squat
185x5
215x5
285x5

Sunday - Military Press
95x5
135x5
185x5

Thursday - Bench Press
95x5
135x5
185x5

I got some measurements today as one of the trainers wanted to measure a big body with one of his new devices, a.k.a. measuring tape, all the measurements unless indicated are in inches

I had drop down to my boxers in the middle of the gym, but I’m not a shy fellow, and the women and children were tucked away.

Thigh
R 31.5
L 31.0

Calf
R 17.1
L 16.25

Hips

Waist

Chest

Shoulders

Wing span

Arm
R 17.5
L 17

Forearm
R 14
L 13.75

Neck

Glad you have recovered; is there a reason you can squat more than you deadlift?

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
Glad you have recovered; is there a reason you can squat more than you deadlift?[/quote]

I can dead lift more than I can squat, if you’re talking about the session on October 8th, I had done two sessions or so of Ripptoe’s basic strength program. I figured since I was weak this would be a fast track to get back to a 100%. Even though I am weak, and weak comparatively to what I was, the weight and the volume was too high to be doing the squat, a press movement, and a pull movement all in one session. I was too out of shape mostly, I had already dumped my squat, and by the time I got to the dead lift, it was too much and I ended the session after puking in bucket for a few minutes.

My old DL I was 100 lbs. over my squat. Now, I’m not sure. I just maxed out one day (not trying to push it to an actual max because I wasn’t feeling good) and took those numbers and put them into 5/3/1.

Sunday - Squat
3x225
3x285
3x315

Hack Squat
4x10 @ 2 Plates

Leg Extension
4x15

Leg Curls
4x15

Weighted sit-ups
4x10