Broth: The New Miracle Food

Hi friends,

Recently I have read lots about the benefits of broth?
Who here makes broth a daily ritual? Or is it a waste of time?

Uncle Bird.

tweet

it’s super good for you, but just seems like a pain in the arse to make all the time

[quote]Yogi wrote:
it’s super good for you, but just seems like a pain in the arse to make all the time[/quote]
Do you have links for info on this subject?

What type of broth are we wanting to have? Any particular way to make it? How often?

tweet

Mostly agree w/Yogi.

I save bones every time I cook wings, thighs, drumsticks, ribs and when I have a bag full I make myself a batch. But I only have enough bones to make a worthwhile batch every month or two, and I can’t justify buying a ton of bones just to make broth.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
it’s super good for you, but just seems like a pain in the arse to make all the time[/quote]
Do you have links for info on this subject?

What type of broth are we wanting to have? Any particular way to make it? How often?

tweet
[/quote]

Marks Daily Apple has a total boner for it, Birdy. You’ll find tons of good info on there.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Mostly agree w/Yogi.

I save bones every time I cook wings, thighs, drumsticks, ribs and when I have a bag full I make myself a batch. But I only have enough bones to make a worthwhile batch every month or two, and I can’t justify buying a ton of bones just to make broth.[/quote]

That’s my issue as well. So little of my cooking involves meat on the bone it’s a pain in the arse hoarding bones.

Actually a lot of butcher shops will sell you soup bones for relatively cheap. Joints are especially good, as the cartilage and and tendons make for a really rich stock. A couple of times a month I boil them in a pressure cooker overnight and save the stock. It’s not much work. (Fridge space is the bigger issue for me)

I have a pot in the slow cooker right now.

I usually do bone broth once every week or every other week, or whenever I cook a whole bird. I can’t say that I can prove any immediate or discernible health benefits, though there are articles out there touting the health benefits of bone broth, including some that were mentioned on Mark’s Daily Apple. I think some have merit, so I just do it whenever I cook a full bird. My sister actually turned me on to it when I was visiting AZ last year, I liked the taste, and decided to try it.

I always pull all of the bones out of the chicken, then place them back in the slow cooker, add 2-3 TBSP of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, and then fill up the slow cooker ~ 2/3 of the pot with filtered water. I cook it on high for 3-4 hours, then turn it down to the low setting and let it slowly simmer another 20 hrs or so.

[quote]websipe wrote:
Actually a lot of butcher shops will sell you soup bones for relatively cheap. Joints are especially good, as the cartilage and and tendons make for a really rich stock. A couple of times a month I boil them in a pressure cooker overnight and save the stock. It’s not much work. (Fridge space is the bigger issue for me)[/quote]

that’s not such a bad idea, I think I’d need a bigger freezer to make it worth my while. I rent, and only have one of those shitey boxes in the top of the fridge.

It’s actually a fucking NIGHTMARE not having a proper freezer!

[quote]JR249 wrote:
I can’t say that I can prove any immediate or discernible health benefits, though there are articles out there touting the health benefits of bone broth, including some that were mentioned on Mark’s Daily Apple. [/quote]

This is how I feel as well. I can’t PROVE that it does something magical for me, but it’s easy enough to save my bones in a freezer bag and, whenever it’s full (could be 2 weeks or 2 months, depending on how often I cook short ribs, drumsticks, or wings) I will make something from it. I can buy the plausibility that it’s beneficial, but it is the sort of “beneficial” that won’t just show up in a single workout or a single day.

[quote]JR249 wrote:
I always pull all of the bones out of the chicken, then place them back in the slow cooker, add 2-3 TBSP of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, and then fill up the slow cooker ~ 2/3 of the pot with filtered water. I cook it on high for 3-4 hours, then turn it down to the low setting and let it slowly simmer another 20 hrs or so.[/quote]

^Basically this is what I do as well. Add enough water to cover the pile of bones, add a little ACV, and let it go for a full day.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]websipe wrote:
Actually a lot of butcher shops will sell you soup bones for relatively cheap. Joints are especially good, as the cartilage and and tendons make for a really rich stock. A couple of times a month I boil them in a pressure cooker overnight and save the stock. It’s not much work. (Fridge space is the bigger issue for me)[/quote]

that’s not such a bad idea, I think I’d need a bigger freezer to make it worth my while. I rent, and only have one of those shitey boxes in the top of the fridge.

It’s actually a fucking NIGHTMARE not having a proper freezer![/quote]

Oy vey. My sympathies. I don’t have an enormous freezer, but it’s big enough to hold 50 pounds of meat (I order large quantities of grass-fed beef in bulk). I can’t imagine life without a freezer to store my meat.