T Nation

Broner vs Porter


#1

Anyone see this?

I enjoyed it despite all the fouling by Broner. Its gotten ridiculous in boxing lately how much they will let the starlets get away with before they get points deducted.

Very glad Porter won, he's very likeable, humble and hard working. Can't say the same for Broner who seems to be intent on aping the "money" persona of the second half of Floyd's career, without actually putting in the kind of work floyd did to get there.

I think Broner needs to stop trying to be the next Mayweather and carve his own identity, both in the public sense and his game as a fighter. It's not like he's lacking in talent by any stretch.


#2

I haven’t seen the fight yet, but I gather it was a good one. I did watch the Lemieux fight, which was great.

Damn glad Broner lost. He’s all mouth, and Porter is a quality fighter who has had a hell of a rough life even by boxing standards, if I remember right.

Broner is a talented fighter at lightweight, but I don’t think he can cut it at welter. Something has been lost there in the move up in weight class. I suspect he just doesn’t quite have the quality to hang in a slightly better pool of fighters.

I will get to your other thread on old time boxing I promise!


#3

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Anyone see this?

I enjoyed it despite all the fouling by Broner. Its gotten ridiculous in boxing lately how much they will let the starlets get away with before they get points deducted.

Very glad Porter won, he’s very likeable, humble and hard working. Can’t say the same for Broner who seems to be intent on aping the “money” persona of the second half of Floyd’s career, without actually putting in the kind of work floyd did to get there.

I think Broner needs to stop trying to be the next Mayweather and carve his own identity, both in the public sense and his game as a fighter. It’s not like he’s lacking in talent by any stretch.[/quote]

I agree.

But I think the boxing world has to face the facts that Broner simply isn’t that good. He can use the shoulder roll against the right (shitty) opponent, and his hands are fast and heavy, but he doesn’t have Floyd’s ability to control range or his ability to time his opponents.

He couldn’t time Porter, who was fighting very similarly to how Maidana did against Floyd, and so he just clinched, held on, and shook his head. He did nothing of consequence through the entire fight, and looked listless and ill-prepared. The one clean shot he did land - that left hook that floored Porter at the end - he couldn’t follow up on, because it was simply a lucky shot.

I despise Broner - he’s everything that’s wrong with boxing - and I was thrilled to see him lose again.

Unless he rights the ship, his career is nearly finished. And not a moment to soon.


#4

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Anyone see this?

I enjoyed it despite all the fouling by Broner. Its gotten ridiculous in boxing lately how much they will let the starlets get away with before they get points deducted.

Very glad Porter won, he’s very likeable, humble and hard working. Can’t say the same for Broner who seems to be intent on aping the “money” persona of the second half of Floyd’s career, without actually putting in the kind of work floyd did to get there.

I think Broner needs to stop trying to be the next Mayweather and carve his own identity, both in the public sense and his game as a fighter. It’s not like he’s lacking in talent by any stretch.[/quote]

I agree.

But I think the boxing world has to face the facts that Broner simply isn’t that good. He can use the shoulder roll against the right (shitty) opponent, and his hands are fast and heavy, but he doesn’t have Floyd’s ability to control range or his ability to time his opponents.

He couldn’t time Porter, who was fighting very similarly to how Maidana did against Floyd, and so he just clinched, held on, and shook his head. He did nothing of consequence through the entire fight, and looked listless and ill-prepared. The one clean shot he did land - that left hook that floored Porter at the end - he couldn’t follow up on, because it was simply a lucky shot.

I despise Broner - he’s everything that’s wrong with boxing - and I was thrilled to see him lose again.

Unless he rights the ship, his career is nearly finished. And not a moment to soon.

[/quote]

that’s certainly how it appears to me. He seems a little too impressed with his defence when its working and doesn’t have floyd’s impeccable footwork to get out of range when it isn’t.

He also seems to rally far too late against aggressive fighters. Floyd’s excuse for pot shotting is brittle hands and being in his late 30s, but Broner? I dont get it. He’s even got the power to put people out when he really turns it on but he seems to content to bark like a poodle while throwing one shot.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
I haven’t seen the fight yet, but I gather it was a good one. I did watch the Lemieux fight, which was great.

Damn glad Broner lost. He’s all mouth, and Porter is a quality fighter who has had a hell of a rough life even by boxing standards, if I remember right.

Broner is a talented fighter at lightweight, but I don’t think he can cut it at welter. Something has been lost there in the move up in weight class. I suspect he just doesn’t quite have the quality to hang in a slightly better pool of fighters.

I will get to your other thread on old time boxing I promise![/quote]

Haha looking forward it!