Broncos Give Shanahan The Boot

[quote]pushharder wrote:
SSC wrote:
…he only made it to the AFC Championship one year almost by default… with Jake the Snake…

I don’t buy the default thing although I am a diehard Broncos fan. I think ANY NFL team that makes it as far as the Conference title game does it by hard work and a lot of smarts.[/quote]

That conference game messed up the Broncos.

I was hoping this year would be different, but no.

Too bad for the Donkeys, or maybe it is good for them. I think it was the whole vice president thing and him having so much control that was the demise of him. He will probably be good on another team just as the head coach. I’m interested to see who they go after now for a coach.

It was stupid to fire him…they owed him better than that. Does Jerry Jones own the Broncos now too…cuz that is the type of classless crap he would pull.

Shanahan’s firing was less suprising than Mangini’s, who was pretty much thrown under the bus.

Here, let’s replace our quarterback at the last minute with an older one who doesn’t know the offense. Brilliant!

On a grand scale, I think coaches should coach, and vice presidents/general managers should do the player personnel stuff.

Look at Holmgren, Shanahan, Parcels (when he was with the Cowboys)… They had tons more responsibility than just x’s and o’s and ultimately their teams weren’t all that successful over the long haul.

Parcels’ career move up to the front office has really showed what a singular minded former coach can do when he doesn’t have to worry about gameday. I’m really impressed with what he’s done with the Dolphins. I doubt they’d be anywhere near as good if he was also coaching.

Coaches shouldn’t want to run everything, they should COACH. If they have aspirations of controlling personnel they should build their resume as a coach first.

Who do you all think the next coach for the Broncos will be?

I’m going to say Urban Meyer.

[quote]cr1404 wrote:
It was stupid to fire him…they owed him better than that. Does Jerry Jones own the Broncos now too…cuz that is the type of classless crap he would pull.[/quote]

Being a huge Bronco fan I was on the fence about this firing however no playoff appearances in the last three years and a 24-24 record in his last few season lead me to believe that change is needed in the organization.

That being said I think that he is a great coach and would be an excellent pickup for any team (I believe its rumored that he would demand something like $20m for 3 years), as long as Elway gets some sort of financial compensation for making Shanahan’s career

It’s not just Elway though, it was Davis and those horses on the O-line. Credit has to be given to Romo, Rod Smith, and those guys as well.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
It’s not just Elway though, it was Davis and those horses on the O-line. Credit has to be given to Romo, Rod Smith, and those guys as well.[/quote]

I’m in no way doubting the talent he had on those super bowl teams, those you mentioned plus Ed McCaffrey, Neil Smith, Trevor Price, Hebron, ect… but the fact is Shanahan hasn’t won a playoff game without Elway.

I dont have anything against Shanahan I just think its time for change, I honestly dont doubt his coaching ability nor his ability to evaluate and develop offensive talent, though I do have second thoughts on his ability to be a GM and a coach. That being said, I will miss him and still respect him greatly.

It was a surprise to me, BUT…

Shanahan will not be out of work long.

There is even talk of some D-1 Schools giving him a look.

He is just too good of a Coach, with too much experience, to be out of work long.

Mufasa

Question:

Are there many of the “Coach/GM’s” left?

It was tried for a while; and the THEORY was good; but it seemed to have never really panned out…or did it?

Mufasa