T Nation

Broncos Give Shanahan The Boot

[i]DENVER (AP) ? Mike Shanahan became the latest and most stunning victim of the NFL coaching purge, fired Tuesday by the Denver Broncos after a late-season collapse knocked the team out of the playoffs for the third straight year.

Shanahan joined Eric Mangini, Rod Marinelli and Romeo Crennel on the unemployment line after going 24-24 over the last three seasons, including three straight losses in 2008 that turned a three-game division lead to an 8-8 record.[/i]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jm_GPt2jmT8wZDlX03VHkBlZYgkAD95DB67G0

meanwhile guys like Dick Jauron are sticking around

Yeah, we were literally talking about whether this was going to happen last night. Bye bye, Mr. Tanned Face.

[quote]chillain wrote:
meanwhile guys like Dick Jauron are sticking around

[/quote]

yeah,true…I’m kind of on the fence about Shanahan’s firing. I hope whatever coach that comes in doesn’t fuck up the O-Line zone blocking scheme…that’s the heart of their offense. As for the defense…umm yeah…that’s why Shanahan is gone.

I’m still surprised though.

Maybe now running backs will last in Denver longer than half a game before he’s wrecked.

I’m glad he’s gone.

It’s the whole defense thing. He didn’t try to change it up even though the other teams now can easily adapt to it.

Damn how long was that guy there? He knows nothing else! Soup line for him, lol

Now, how to fire Jerry Jones.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Damn how long was that guy there? He knows nothing else! Soup line for him, lol[/quote]

He would be a good pick up for the Lions at least…he does know how to draft.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

He would be a good pick up for the Lions at least…he does know how to draft.[/quote]

If he knew how to draft, perhaps his defense would’ve been in better shape.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

If he knew how to draft, perhaps his defense would’ve been in better shape.[/quote]

It’s not so much the players but the whole scheme.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

It’s not so much the players but the whole scheme.[/quote]

word. You can have a team full of first rounders and only get so far if they are not being utilized properly.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

He would be a good pick up for the Lions at least…he does know how to draft.[/quote]

Well they have plenty of picks thanks to Jerry Jones’ hardon for marquee players.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

word. You can have a team full of first rounders and only get so far if they are not being utilized properly. [/quote]

Like the Cowboys.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

word. You can have a team full of first rounders and only get so far if they are not being utilized properly.

Like the Cowboys.[/quote]

yeah…somewhat. Speaking of Cowboys…maybe whatever coach will play around with a 3-4 scheme and use Jarvis Moss in position similar to D.Ware. And possibly move Dumervil to OLB in position similar to J.Harrison. Might be part of the change they need.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

Like the Cowboys.

yeah…somewhat. Speaking of Cowboys…maybe whatever coach will play around with a 3-4 scheme and use Jarvis Moss in position similar to D.Ware. And possibly move Dumervil to OLB in position similar to J.Harrison. Might be part of the change they need.[/quote]

I only mentioned the Cowboys because msd was here. B

[quote]msd0060 wrote:

Now, how to fire Jerry Jones.[/quote]

Yep, he only gets 8 million a year for the next 6 years. He’s fucked like an alley cat.

Bowlen told him to fire the defensive coordinator, Shanny said no.
I wonder if Bowlen was wearing his fur when he fired him

Very surprised to see that. Figured he was coach for life after the Super Bowls, and with his relationship with the owner.

I’m surprised people are surprised. No one’s safe from the firesies… NOBODY. Shannahan has done very little since Elway, and he only made it to the AFC Championship one year almost by default… with Jake the Snake.

If I’m a prospective coach, I’m way more interested in Detroit or Cleveland compared to New York, though. Detroit has two first-round draft picks, could pick up Bradford, and could be totally rebooted. As for Cleveland, they have a young, underachieving offense, and a defense that needs some work. That’s much better, though, than New York, who’s only shining points are Thomas Jones and Leon Washington.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.