T Nation

Broken Wrist

alright so my buddy (big guy in the picture, not the asian dude) broke his wrist one day after his last injection. he was doing a bread and butter, test, deca, d bol cycle (his 4th cycle total).

hes afraid of losing some serious mass becuase he cant work out, and its right after his cycle, didnt even get to his pct. so i was thinking of directing him towards your guys’ blast and cruise idea. hes out for a month or a little longer.

you guys have any ideas to help him maintain the mass he has worked so hard for?

wow that sucks.

even with blast and cruise hes going to lose some mass, its unavoidable.

How long was he on ?

If it was a short cycle he might be able to get away with just adding a few weeks to the cycle and avoiding movements that involve the wrist (there are some).

[quote]Westclock wrote:
wow that sucks.

even with blast and cruise hes going to lose some mass, its unavoidable.

How long was he on ?

If it was a short cycle he might be able to get away with just adding a few weeks to the cycle and avoiding movements that involve the wrist (there are some).[/quote]

he does 12 wk cycles. his doctor says no working out at all, and honestly with a broken wrist i would have to agree. i know he doesnt have many options, but what would be his BEST option, so far, ive still got blast and cruise on the top of my list.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
alright so my buddy (big guy in the picture, not the asian dude) broke his wrist one day after his last injection. he was doing a bread and butter, test, deca, d bol cycle (his 4th cycle total).

hes afraid of losing some serious mass becuase he cant work out, and its right after his cycle, didnt even get to his pct. so i was thinking of directing him towards your guys’ blast and cruise idea. hes out for a month or a little longer.

you guys have any ideas to help him maintain the mass he has worked so hard for?[/quote]

I say this from experience that,possibly the best thing to do during an injury is train.Obviously your not going to be able to train the injured side but train around it.Helped me keep my sanity,get’n through little roadblocks.

Im not actually sure what kind of trainin he’s into(BB,Pwrlifting,Oly,etc…)but with todays equipment most of the newer stuff is unilateral.Only thing I see he’ll have to stay away from are regular Barbells.

His pressing and pulling excersises will have to be done with only his good side,which will increase blood flow throughout the entire body and help with recovery.

Squatting would have to be done w/ a safety bar(if you have avaliability).Personally if that happened to me it be time set some wicked Good morning,Squating PR’s.

As far as the cycle would go if he continues to train he’d obviously run his correct PCT and that way not allis for nothing.It’d be a damn shame to runa 12 week cycle make some gains,then not be able to train and eventually lose your new gains and then some.Food for thought

i know this from experiance,
I was on a deca cycle broke my wrist while on and long story short blew up from 200s to 300s and 30s% body fat.

here is what I should have done.
taper calories down to maintance kcals.
stay on moderate,regular cardio

work legs but not hard work leg presses,khack squat machine ect something that does not involve that arm at all.

get off the cycle asap with proper pct to assure proper recovery.

when back to normal keep those kcals down there at maintaince to make sure he dosent gain fat due to the lack of workload.

I just stopped working out,I did what i could which was walking,bik leg presses that sort of thing but I got offt he cycle as well i was shut down from the cycle and from lack of work and the kcals stayed the same.

I gained 100 pounds and alot of it fat within a mater of that summer.
in hindsight if i did these things then I woudlnt have this problem I do now…

wrists suck they really do send him my wishes for a speedy recovery.
and DO NOT USE THAT HAND.
I used mine and I ended up needing to have a bone graft to fix it.

Dylan I would merely have him proceed with PCT et al as normal. He can train around the wrist. Certain things are out of course but almost all lower body stuff is still GTG.

Further depending on where exactly the break is and how severe it is he might be able to do a moderate amount of work with cables and machines to maintain his gains

good deal, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. no blast and cruise, just regular pct, and light training.

I would definitely bring the legs up with some work if possible… legs LOVE 12-20 rep sets IME, and that would be ok on the leg press, with just the one arm holding on IMO. DB SLDL, DB Lunges, DB Split Squats, DB Cleans… not too much that favours the opposite side of course… but a fair bit can be done without fear of any imbalances caused. depending on which side he favours he could actually potentially do quite a lot… concentrating on proprioception he could become better able to activate the fibres in his weaker side - as that is often a matter of neural efficiency than actually muscular contractile strength… AFAIK anyway.

Train around it… cardio… calves, quads, hammies, glutes, rotator cuff, stretches, soft tissue work, balance work/proprioception, imbalances on the healthy side if any… get creative.

It will (as mentioned) help to keep his sanity.

JJ

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Me to the rescue!
I just suffered from a broken hand which kept me out of the gym for 7 weeks.My knuckle was sitting in my palm and they just re positioned it and didn’t put a plate in.

Anyways, back to what I was originally going to say.
You have an awesome thing called muscle memory, it is amazing thing. In fact, it can save you months of training in a matter of weeks. Tell your friend not to worry about the broken wrist, it’ll rapidly get it’s strength and size back.

I’m not sure about using steroids in those weeks of gaining back what he’d have lost, because I’m not a user. But you’ll defiantly make your gains back in just under or over a month. Which is pretty sweet considering my gain was from 35 back to 70 in about four weeks. I could of easily done around 50-55 but my main focus was my stamina.

Good luck to your friend.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
He can also do his shrugs on the calf raise machine for his traps.[/quote]

A personal fav ;). Its kinda amazing to think just how much one can do without using your hands/wrist. Pec Deck, Pullover Machine, Lateral Raise Machine, etc

does your buddy know you are outing him online…i’d be kinda pissed if you were my friends and posted my face and said what I was doing…the pic was totally unecessary, why even post it unless you are trying to prove to us that it isn’t you that was on cycle and broke your wrist?

just saying…

plus i agree with these guys. train legs like a mofo and do some core work and cardio. make sure you don’t screw up PCT.

[quote]FuriousGeorge wrote:
does your buddy know you are outing him online…i’d be kinda pissed if you were my friends and posted my face and said what I was doing…the pic was totally unecessary, why even post it unless you are trying to prove to us that it isn’t you that was on cycle and broke your wrist?

just saying…

plus i agree with these guys. train legs like a mofo and do some core work and cardio. make sure you don’t screw up PCT. [/quote]

he was the one who told me to post it for him, said you guys might take him more seriously if you saw a pic of him. not totally unnessary if i was told to do it.

ok, cool. I just was curious why you would put it up…

Like the guys said above, at least train legs dude and go for the pct. Leg training has a tendency to help the entire body. Its also better than nothing!