T Nation

Broken Mirror Worries

So a few days ago at school I was doing triceps extensions(seated) and the weight slipped out of my hand bounced off my trap and smashed the mirror behind me(it is the type split into sections).

The bench is set up so close to the mirror (facing away) that it gave me little room but I am usually more careful about these types of things. The school is charging me full for it, granted I know it was my fault but the price is a little steep.

Am I in the wrong for requesting to pay half on acct of accident and poor equipment placement?

I dont think so. Just take full responsibility and figure out a way to pay for it. Perhaps work out a payment plan or something.

The best defense is a strong offense. Sue the crap out of them for mental trauma because you could have been cut by the shards.

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
The best defense is a strong offense. Sue the crap out of them for mental trauma because you could have been cut by the shards.[/quote]

Gotta agree here.

Personally, I don’t see how you can even consider stepping foot into a place that is clearly designed with such a clear and obvious lack of regard for the customer’s safety.

First thing tomorrow head to the gym and then just as you walk in the door just crash to the floor and have a total breakdown.

Make sure to stay at it until authorities are called and insist on an ambulance ride to get “checked out.”

They should have had shatterproof mirrors and taken measures to protect you from yourself at all costs.

You are clearly not responsible.

Good luck and Godspeed!!!

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
dragonmamma wrote:
The best defense is a strong offense. Sue the crap out of them for mental trauma because you could have been cut by the shards.

Gotta agree here.

Personally, I don’t see how you can even consider stepping foot into a place that is clearly designed with such a clear and obvious lack of regard for the customer’s safety.

First thing tomorrow head to the gym and then just as you walk in the door just crash to the floor and have a total breakdown.

Make sure to stay at it until authorities are called and insist on an ambulance ride to get “checked out.”

They should have had shatterproof mirrors and taken measures to protect you from yourself at all costs.

[/quote]

Seeing as how this is the “interweb”, I’m not sure whether that post was satirical or not. I have a feeling it was, but then again I’m tired as hell and I don’t know.

That said, I have a problem with this type of thinking.

People who think like this need to grow the fuck up.

As for the OP, pay for the goddamn mirror. If you don’t have the money now, a payment plan sounds like a good way to go.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
dragonmamma wrote:

Gotta agree here.

Seeing as how this is the “interweb”, I’m not sure whether that post was satirical or not. I have a feeling it was, but then again I’m tired as hell and I don’t know.

[quote]

If you don’t know, I sure as fuck ain’t gonna tell ya.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Mister T. wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
dragonmamma wrote:

Gotta agree here.

If you don’t know, I sure as fuck ain’t gonna tell ya.

[/quote]

Shutup. It’s been a long…few months.

This is what you do:
Walk into the owner’s office, pull down your shorts/pants,underwear, and say, “I’m here to pay for the mirror.”
He’ll drop to his knees.
Owner: :SLURP: :SLURP: :SLURP:
You: OOHHH , yea, UUGGGGHHH!
WORKS everytime I break something. :smiley:

But since you don’t have the balls to do the above just pay for the mirror.

:slight_smile:

You are too weak to be using whatever weight you were using.

It is obvious that you were being reckless with the equipment in the gym and the safety of its patrons.

Be a man and pay for the mirror.

And work on your terrible grip strength or next time the weight might crush your shoulder girdle instead of just bounce off.

I have never seen anyone drop a weight on a tricep extension.

if you’re a student there and the mirror is really expensive it might be worth only trying to pay for some. try to cut a deal. or what happens if you just say no?

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
You are too weak to be using whatever weight you were using.

It is obvious that you were being reckless with the equipment in the gym and the safety of its patrons.

Be a man and pay for the mirror.

And work on your terrible grip strength or next time the weight might crush your shoulder girdle instead of just bounce off.

I have never seen anyone drop a weight on a tricep extension.[/quote]

Do THIS!! seriously…

[quote]AxeKicker wrote:
So a few days ago at school I was doing triceps extensions(seated) and the weight slipped out of my hand bounced off my trap and smashed the mirror behind me(it is the type split into sections).

The bench is set up so close to the mirror (facing away) that it gave me little room but I am usually more careful about these types of things. The school is charging me full for it, granted I know it was my fault but the price is a little steep.

Am I in the wrong for requesting to pay half on acct of accident and poor equipment placement? [/quote]

Your first problem is you where doing tricep kickbacks. Your second problem is the fact that you are trying to refuse to pay the full amount, man up and pay.

The only thing I’ll add is that they should be able to justify the cost of replacing the mirror.

This includes both the mirror and labor.

Although it would be on the moral high ground to pay for the mirror or a portion of it, I would think the school would have insurance for these types of accidents. I am pretty positive that they do. Just like you don’t have to pay for merchandise you accidentally break at a store.

Circumstances such as damage in a chemistry class and the glassware, I had to sign an acknowledgement accepting responsibility for anything I broke, that wouldn’t apply with the mirror. Unless you had signed an acceptance to be able to use the gym facilities.
See what you signed up for.

But remember, just because you don’t have to pay doesn’t mean you shouldn’t.

The best defense is a strong offense. Sue the crap out of them for mental trauma because you could have been cut by the shards.[/quote]

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

It does seem, however, like they should have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

I dont think you should have to pay. It was an accident that could probably have been avoided if the gym was set up correctly. You werent doing anything stupid. Maybe pay half at the most.

dragonmamma wrote:

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

It does seem, however, like they should have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

[/quote]

They also have this little thing called a dedcutible coupled with the risk of turning in a small claim like this relative to a corresponding increase in premium at the next renewal makes this not a good alternative for them.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
You werent doing anything stupid. [/quote]

besides the (1) tricep kickbacks without using a (2)good grip.

overhead tricep extensions is what i thought he said. Not kickbacks.

Wonder if he was using 1 or 2 hands on the dumbell.

You could do extensions anywhere or move the bench or find another or do them standing so it’s not their fault that you decided to drop the weight.

What I would suggest is finding a glass cutter who would do it cheaper than they are charging. But otherwise, how much can it be? Just pay the damn thing.