Broken LCD Screen On Laptop

I just slipped on some wet grass on a hill and fell on my back with mylabtop in my backpack. anyway I hooked it up to an external monitor and the hard drive is fine; however the lcd monitor looks like shattered glass when I turn the thing on, although it doesn’t look like the actual screen is cracked from the outside.

Is this something I could fix myself by taking it apart? I hear it costs 500 or more to have this fixed professionally, and I’m pretty sure Staples doesn’t cover accidental damage. There has to be a cheaper alternative…

[quote]ohagajosh wrote:
I just slipped on some wet grass on a hill and fell on my back with mylabtop in my backpack. anyway I hooked it up to an external monitor and the hard drive is fine; however the lcd monitor looks like shattered glass when I turn the thing on, although it doesn’t look like the actual screen is cracked from the outside.

Is this something I could fix myself by taking it apart? I hear it costs 500 or more to have this fixed professionally, and I’m pretty sure Staples doesn’t cover accidental damage. There has to be a cheaper alternative…[/quote]

I’ve heard and seen a lot of cases of the “broken glass” laptop screen. You can buy an replacement screen off of ebay for much cheaper than a professional repair, but depending on how much you paid for the laptop in the first place, it might not be worth it.

You can replace the screen yourself pretty easily- my dad knows nothing about computers and just followed an online guide, and it worked out for him. Good luck buddy!

Samr thing happened to my Dell 9300. I got a replacement screen off of EBay and just installed it myself. It cost me about 350 bucks, but it’s cheaper than a new $2000 computer.

That sucks - best of luck! I’m convinced that a laptop extended warranty is about the only extended warranty that’s worth it.

Good ideas on the fix. Just make sure what ever it costs you is less then what you could get a comparable laptop new. PCs depreciate pretty fast.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
That sucks - best of luck! I’m convinced that a laptop extended warranty is about the only extended warranty that’s worth it.[/quote]

You know, I JUST read a Consumer’s Report that said that laptops have the highest repair rate for 3-4 year old electronic products. I wasn’t that surprised until I saw that they have a 43% repair rate. That’s ridiculous!

here it is: