Broken Index Finger

Long story short, the other night a couple of guys 10-15 years younger than me were (for no reason other than the fact that it was there) trying to lift a slab of stone. 3 of them together couldn’t even budge it. I had a few beers in me, so I grabbed the thing, deadlifted one end of it, and gently put it back down. On my own damn finger.

Result: A few minutes later I passed out from system shock, and x-rays show a broken index finger. I’m so proud of myself.

The timing is really bad, as I was about to start training with a couple of powerlifters I know - fall and winter should be heavy lifting and good eating, right?

Any input on how I should train for the next 3-4 weeks? I see squats and hiking in my future… Probably some one handed lifts as well.

Thanks!

You might check out some chinese herbal linament called Zheng Gu Shui. It’s about $10 or so with shipping. Apparently designed to help martial artists heal e.g. fingers and toes faster after they get beat up.

Anyway someone recommended it after I broke a toe recently and it helped speed things up trememdously (unfortunately I’ve done it enough to know how long it usually takes to feel better). Just google it for s source.

Thanks!

I’ll look into that. Desperate times, desperate measures, right? :wink:

you can dead with lifting hooks. I know, I know, that would be sacrelidge or cheating, but it takes your hands out of the equation and still allows you to do what you are there to do with deads - work the rest of your body.

Never crossed my mind to use hooks - great idea, thanks!

I’m going to make this injury an advantage. Every lifting day is leg day for the next 3-6 weeks!

Keep it coming, people!

The index finger isn’t that important to grip anyways.
Happy healing!

I’ve broken several fingers over the years, hitting things etc… Anyway, every time was a little different. Depends on exactly where the break is etc. One time I was able to do almost everything. Another I had to go to machines. Do what you have to do. Don’t be afraid to experiment, BUT be cautious, pain is one thing but you don’t want to reinjure. Sorry can’t help more. Like I said, seems to vary a lot.

Be sure to get plenty of calcium and glucoseamine. Can’t hurt anyway…

Best wishes…

you can also use the hooks to do pullups/chins, bent over rows, shrugs, standing rows, hack squats. If you go to a gym, you can probably do most cable and machine rowing movements too.

This is going to work just fine.

I just need to come up with some form of routine, but that shouldn’t be too difficult.

Thanks for helping me out, everybody!