Broken Hand - A Helping Hand?

I had broken a bone in my hand about 6 weeks ago maybe a little longer. I just got my cast off but according to the x-ray it’s still a nice size break but healed enough to go with out the cast.

My hand is swollen where the break is and gripping stuff is still difficult. I can do some pulling, with relatively low weight. Some pullups and rows. Even light dead’s. But pushing? Forget it. I can’t stand the pain.

The break is in the 4rth metacarpal bone, or the bone under the pinky for the lay folks (I had t look it up). The break is clear through, it wasn’t just a small fracture.

Has any one broke a hand before? How long did it take to recover enough to train properly.

I can do legs, I can do cardio, but I am ready to get back in to it for real. I am going nuts with out it.

O man, i can feel your pain… To want to workout so badly but not being able to. But honestly, its probaly better off to wait a few weeks rather than risk more injury to it.

I don’t see any problems squatting, but maybe you should try more body weight exercises and see how that feels.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
I had broken a bone in my hand about 6 weeks ago maybe a little longer. I just got my cast off but according to the x-ray it’s still a nice size break but healed enough to go with out the cast.

My hand is swollen where the break is and gripping stuff is still difficult. I can do some pulling, with relatively low weight. Some pullups and rows. Even light dead’s. But pushing? Forget it. I can’t stand the pain.

The break is in the 4rth metacarpal bone, or the bone under the pinky for the lay folks (I had t look it up). The break is clear through, it wasn’t just a small fracture.

Has any one broke a hand before? How long did it take to recover enough to train properly.

I can do legs, I can do cardio, but I am ready to get back in to it for real. I am going nuts with out it.[/quote]

If you have those padded wrist-strap handles on your cable crossover machine, you could try using them for different exercises.

Thanks!