Broken Down, but Not Broken

Lol…thx ecogenx. Glad to be interacting some now.

Nice to follow your work BB, welcome to the boards. Thats a good strong training session you had. BTW, we southerners have to stick together around here…

Welcome BB,
you are a hoss, those are huge ass numbers.
I think I need to shave my head that is what must be holding me back…

I Like the unilateral work- good luck with the rehab

kmc

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
5’9’’ and bald, sounds familiar. Glad to see you here.[/quote]

X 3. Going bald is my latest injury. Welcome aboard Big Bumpy.
Follow the bunny tracks.

TNT

Yes we do j_willy3. Ty kmc…it’s definitely the hair or lack of it…I call it the reverse Samson theory…lol. Thx TNT…gearin up for deads out of the rack tonight.

So THAT’s the secret to being strong! Just my luck to come from a family with advancing hairlines…

Its all about wind resistance. Less hair=less wind resistance. Simple physics. Strength=bar speed / (hair length)2.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Its all about wind resistance. Less hair=less wind resistance. Simple physics. Strength=bar speed / (hair length)2.[/quote]

Well… I’m screwed then. I am the first one in my family to walk upright.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Its all about wind resistance. Less hair=less wind resistance. Simple physics. Strength=bar speed / (hair length)2.[/quote]

I should be fine on bench then, but I am surely messed over on SQ and DL. Or doomed to grinders for my lifting career…

Now that’s good eco…a thinking man’s lifter with all the science to back it up…have to remember that equation…lol

Eco…Do you follow a Westside based template or do a lot of speed work on DE days? Personally, I have never seen the great carryover. I’ve eliminated them completely for lower and will basically do one heavy day only for SQ/DL with some type of pull or goodmorning as an ME and repetition based squat workout as a second ex. one week F/B some type of heavy SQ with a repetition pull or good morning, etc. the next. That way I SQ and DL every week but just alternate weeks heavy and weeks with reps…more of a recovery thing for me. In the past I’ve always done a great deal of volume every week coupled with high intensity, but have found my body just can’t handle the lower body volume any more. My gains are better off 1 lower per week. Plus the speed days with bands on BP kill my elbows more than ME work. Curious as to your approach…always looking to learn from fellow lifters.

5/26/09 (ME Lower)

OK, got the left hammie thing goin on since last week’s pull so not a whole lot to write home about today. I feel like my whole body is in rehab right now.

Rack Pin Pulls (app. 3" below bottom of kneecap): 135x10, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 455x5, 495x5. Weights were ridiculously easy, which is a good thing. The shoulder felt fine and this is a 30 lb. (rehab) PR from last week. I was tempted to go up to 525, but felt the hammie tweak a little and decided to listen to my body and give it another week of recovery. 700x3 is where I was in my training cycle before my tear so hopefully if I can go up 30 lbs. a week, I’ll at least be within spitting distance soon.

SB Box Squats (2" below parallel): Bodyweightx8, Bar(65)x8,8,8. Now I dare any T-man to compete with those squatting numbers…lol. The hamstring really pulls both going in and coming out deep of the hole with even just the bar. I’ve pulled it about a zillion times and I’m guessin based on past experience I’ll probably be able to bump these about a plate a week…so I’ll try a whopping 155 next week.

HS Curls (rehab): 60x15,15,15

AB Circuit: Various standing and groung based

Grip Work

I decided something today after my last post to eco that my problem has been that I typically do a lot more work than this on ME days with GHR, reverse hypers, split squats, etc. Probably gonna switch out the HS curls for GHR’s again as the hammie gets better, but I think I’m gonna revamp my lower body workouts and go back to 2 days a week with a ME day and repetition day. Basically similar volume, but split over 2 days. When the hamstring gets well I’ll make this change.

[quote]bigbumpy wrote:
Eco…Do you follow a Westside based template or do a lot of speed work on DE days? Personally, I have never seen the great carryover. I’ve eliminated them completely for lower and will basically do one heavy day only for SQ/DL with some type of pull or goodmorning as an ME and repetition based squat workout as a second ex. one week F/B some type of heavy SQ with a repetition pull or good morning, etc. the next. That way I SQ and DL every week but just alternate weeks heavy and weeks with reps…more of a recovery thing for me. In the past I’ve always done a great deal of volume every week coupled with high intensity, but have found my body just can’t handle the lower body volume any more. My gains are better off 1 lower per week. Plus the speed days with bands on BP kill my elbows more than ME work. Curious as to your approach…always looking to learn from fellow lifters.[/quote]

I was following a program Meat gave me and before that the 5/3/1 Wendler. I’ve only done speed work a handlefull of times so its hard for me to say if it works for me. Right now I’m trying to drop some weight so I’m low carbing it(as best as I can) and following a Dan John workout. You have some impressive numbers. I’ll be looking to you for advice.

5/28/09

Prowler Pushes (GPP)…40 yd. sprints x 8 (20 yds. down high handles/20 yds. back low handles) - 180 lbs.

Hey I dont know if you have seen this or not. But it has really helped my shoulders so here you go.
Check this out.
DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab Protocol
Hope it helps.

Good post zephed. Sorry about the late welcome bigbumpy, impressive lifting.

Thx daddy and zep. Appreciate the link zep. As a PT, the rehab side of things may be one of the few things I think I do know a little about, but the link was much appreciated.

I think Memorial Day threw me off this week. I was a day ahead on the date yesterday.

5/28/09 (RE Upper)

A. DB BP 70x12,13,13 Shooting for 3x15. Letting my weights be guided on these by whatever my R shoulder can handle. Weight was easy, just have to regain some muscular endurance

B1. Lat Pulls 200x8,8,8

Superset with

B2. Band Pull Aparts x 20,20,20

C. DB Side Laterals 30x8,8,8 Left and 8x6,5,5 Right

D. DB Shrugs 120x10,10,10

E. Cross Body DB Tri Ext. 40x8,8,8

F. ER with T-band x25,25,25

G. Grip Work

H. Foam Rolling (T-spine)

5/29/09 (RE Lower)

A. SB box Squat (2" below parallel): 155x8,8,8…Hamstring felt much better. Look forward to going up in weights before my Sq goes to the crapper.

B. GHR: 10,10,10 …no extra weight on these, was just happy the hammie held up

C. Calf Riases

D. Abs

5/31/09 (ME Upper)

A. BP Rack Lockouts (5" off chest) 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x1, 300x1, 320x1 (Stopped here because this weight was 70 pounds more than I’ve touched since surgery…420 is previous best at this level so I’ll start at 100# down)

B. BP Reverse Band Lockouts (Purples) 275x3,3

C. DB Floor Press left 105x5, 120x5 right 80x5, 95x5

D. DB Row left 115x8,8,8 right 105x8,8,8

Superset

E. Face Pulls 100x15,15,15

F. Trap Bar Deadlifts 245x8,8,8

G. DB Curls 50x8,6,6

H. Grip work