T Nation

Broccoli & Veggies Make You Fat

Now I’ve heard everything. Surely nutritional advice can’t get any more assbackwards and retarded than this…

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Now I’ve heard everything. Surely nutritional advice can’t get any more assbackwards and retarded than this. [/quote]

Not really. Apparently you didn’t read the website very closely. The bulge induced by broccoli is not from calories, but its effect on intestinal bacteria. Cruciferous vegetable are well known for giving people gas. But before you fart, it will bloat your gut, particularly your small bowel. This occurs when the intestinal bacteria feed on the complex sugar molecules in the vegetables. Gas production is a byproduct. This is called “fermentation.” The resulting gas inflates the bowel like a balloon.

The added volume to your waistline is not from adipose tissue, but the visual effect is all the same. It is temporary, of course, which explains the author’s advice to not eat cruciferious vegetables immediately before you appear in your swimsuit.

Hm? That’s not bad advice.

I’m with the _kid on this one.

The average (ignorant) reader will likely just skim those numbered “tips” and conclude that they’re just better off avoiding broccoli, brussel sprouts etc.

[quote]chillain wrote:

The average (ignorant) reader will likely just skim those numbered “tips” and conclude that they’re just better off avoiding broccoli, brussel sprouts etc.
[/quote]

You can’t judge the quality (much less the accuracy) of advice based on the potential for misuse.

[quote]eic wrote:
chillain wrote:

You can’t judge the quality (much less the accuracy) of advice based on the potential for misuse.
[/quote]

Have you ever read some of the article discussions here at T-Nation? I agree with you, but that is pretty common practice, even here with people that have a clue when it comes to proper diet and nutrition.

Chillain hit the nail on the head. The average reader is going to skim this article and think, hmmm, best to just avoid this all together. And besides, since when is everyone a competitive bodybuilder or fitness competitor?

I could eat a whole head of broccoli and I seriously doubt you would be able to notice even the slightest difference, nor could you with anyone unless they have extremely low body fat levels.

Some broccoli and cauliflower ain’t gonna make the slightest bit of difference to 95% of the people out there. And whatever negative immediate physical effects they might cause, their positive benefits out weigh them by about a few million fold.

Bottom line, make sure you fart before you go to the beach and undress.

[quote]eic wrote:
chillain wrote:

[/quote]

For real. But then, we are becoming a society that caters to the weakest and dumbest among us.

Can’t find an MRI machine that will house your 400lbs big ass so the doctor can tell what is wrong with you? Cool, the hospital will simply make the machines bigger (as well as the beds in many places). We don’t want anyone to have to drop a few pounds, do we?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Now I’ve heard everything. Surely nutritional advice can’t get any more assbackwards and retarded than this. [/quote]

Reading comprehension ain’t your thing, is it?

Maybe you should spent a little time working out your brain. Lots of good books out there…

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Bottom line, make sure you fart before you go to the beach and undress. [/quote]

Well, that’s my means of propulsion TO the beach.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Now I’ve heard everything. Surely nutritional advice can’t get any more assbackwards and retarded than this.

Reading comprehension ain’t your thing, is it?

Maybe you should spent a little time working out your brain. Lots of good books out there…[/quote]

Mr. Huge Cock Internet Baddass strikes again.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Can’t find an MRI machine that will house your 400lbs big ass so the doctor can tell what is wrong with you? Cool, the hospital will simply make the machines bigger (as well as the beds in many places). We don’t want anyone to have to drop a few pounds, do we?[/quote]

The greatest part about that is that my tax dollars go into funding this new machine that I didn’t need. God I love* Political Correctness.

*Not so much love as it is loath.

[quote]LightsOutLuthor wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Bottom line, make sure you fart before you go to the beach and undress.

Well, that’s my means of propulsion TO the beach.[/quote]

I like to sit in the tidal pools and blow bubbles.

[quote]eic wrote:
You can’t judge the quality (much less the accuracy) of advice based on the potential for misuse. [/quote]

No doubt true, so I’ll go ahead and criticize the thorough lack of foresight and common sense of which that “nutrition expert” remains guilty.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I like to … blow bubbles.[/quote]

So does Michael Jackson.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I like to … blow bubbles.

So does Michael Jackson.[/quote]

Is Bubbles still alive? Poor chimp…,

They’re saying it can make you bloated…which is bad lol

[quote]Petermus wrote:
they’re saying it can make you bloated…which is bad lol[/quote]

Great one-line summary.

Perfect for people with analog_kid’s attention span.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Great one-line summary.

Perfect for people with analog_kid’s attention span.[/quote]

Wait… eating lots of food can make you bloated?

[quote]Petermus wrote:
they’re saying it can make you bloated…which is bad lol[/quote]

But when the majority of readers are overweight (read: locked into a perma-bloat state for years) anyway, this loses much of its relevance.