T Nation

Broadening Shoulders (Not the Muscle)

I’m new on the forums but I’ve been on the site before, read articles and so on. I’m 16, very nearly 17, 6’2 and weigh about 13 stone (I’ve gotten a bit fat recently as I was injured for a year, but I’m naturally very skinny). I know that increasing muscle mass will help.

So, is it possible at my age to broaden the underlying structure (bones) of my chest and shoulders? I know that testosterone does this, but I’m not sure if actively trying to increase my testosterone will make any difference. And if so, how much and how?

Thanks in advance.

No. Lift and get big. Then you will be broad.

maybe like half and inch? idk you still could grow youre semi-young. but you cant grow your bones length, only density. the only way youre gonna broaden your shoulders is to bring up your delts and traps, thats it. peace.

Well check out Ellington Darden’s site and he can spin you a yarn or two about how to get a big freaky ribcage. Which is almost as good.


Get a torture rack…

You’ll probably grow a bit in a few years – when I was your age my shoulders were fairly narrow as well, after putting on some size the difference was quite dramatic.

Also, your general physique/taper makes a big difference. Someone with a 34" waist is going to have “broader shoulders” than the same person at 40".

Lift, eat a ton, and you’ll be OK.

Put a bunch of muscle on your frame; I bet that’ll make it look broader.

:slight_smile:

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
idk you still could grow youre semi-young. [/quote]

Since when is 16 “semi-young”? I though I was “semi-young”…you’re making me feel old, man!

But to go with the other posts…right after I graduated HS I only weiged about 145 lbs. My shoulders were narrow as hell…my mom even commented about them and how she thought I should eat more. After putting on 40 lbs. my shoulders are visibly significantly wider, and I didn’t really grow any in height in that time.

Long story short, just eat and lift heavy ass weights over your head and you’ll see a difference.

IMO, the shoulder girdle will grow when exposed to heavy loads.

just keep lifting.

Eat a ton, especially good meat and green veg- a lot of people don’t stop growing till they are 21

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
IMO, the shoulder girdle will grow when exposed to heavy loads.

just keep lifting.[/quote]

This is also my opinion. Your skeleton is going to be different after you have gained 100+lbs of muscle tissue.

Any crazy shit you do to “expand your frame” would probably be a lot harder than just putting muscle on it.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
Any crazy shit you do to “expand your frame” would probably be a lot harder than just putting muscle on it.[/quote]

Low rep work. especially deadlifts IMO.

not that I can prove it or anything, it’s just my opinion.

edit: stuff like extreme stretching and pullovers might do it too.

yea i dont know where you guys are getting this stuff from. i dont think theres any medical evidence as far as lifting increasing length. there is however, evidence supporting that lifting weights, especially low rep/heavy work increases a bones density.

if you guys are personally experiencing any type of vertical length growth its probaly just posture improvement.

adding more muscle to your frame is the only way to broaden your shoulders though after natural bone growth has stopped. get big traps and delts. get big forearms too, thats how people know you lift whether youre wearing a winter jacket or not.

or you could take HGH

I hear that your jaw and shoulders are the last thing to grow, and usually a spurt between 18-21 is when both of them boom.

Might find some one who works in adamantium, could beef up your bone structure quite nicely.

or just lift heavy and get big.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
yea i dont know where you guys are getting this stuff from. i dont think theres any medical evidence as far as lifting increasing length. there is however, evidence supporting that lifting weights, especially low rep/heavy work increases a bones density.

if you guys are personally experiencing any type of vertical length growth its probaly just posture improvement.

adding more muscle to your frame is the only way to broaden your shoulders though after natural bone growth has stopped. get big traps and delts. get big forearms too, thats how people know you lift whether youre wearing a winter jacket or not.

or you could take HGH[/quote]

I disagree, There is some anecdotal evidence that DB pullover can widen your ribcage to a degree. My shoulders are 50", someday my chest will be that big or larger. WIll be shoulders only get a few inches larger, because I am not adding 3-4" of muscle sticking out of the sides of my shoulders.

the reason its anecdotal is because theres no real support to back it.

and why would it only be your shoulders? why wouldnt your legs get longer, why wouldnt your wrists get bigger or your fingers get longer? why would you grow in only the shoulders? it really makes no sense to me.

while theres also no evidence of rib cages getting bigger its more plausible that your lungs would expand them than to say your bones would just decide to grow.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
the reason its anecdotal is because theres no real support to back it.

and why would it only be your shoulders? why wouldnt your legs get longer, why wouldnt your wrists get bigger or your fingers get longer? why would you grow in only the shoulders? it really makes no sense to me.

while theres also no evidence of rib cages getting bigger its more plausible that your lungs would expand them than to say your bones would just decide to grow . [/quote]

Hey, don’t knock the bones. They can grow if they really want to!

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
the reason its anecdotal is because theres no real support to back it.

and why would it only be your shoulders? why wouldnt your legs get longer, why wouldnt your wrists get bigger or your fingers get longer? why would you grow in only the shoulders? it really makes no sense to me.

while theres also no evidence of rib cages getting bigger its more plausible that your lungs would expand them than to say your bones would just decide to grow. [/quote]

Why would my legs get longer if my hammys/quads got bigger. Your ribcage, and surrounding structure needs to get larger as you gain muscle. I don’t know about you, but I got a lot broader shoulders putting on 70 pounds. And there’s no way I added several inches onto my delts. And there’s no way puberty in and itself is solely responsible.

I would have to recommend handstand pushups! Those will beef up your upper frame!

If you can’t do a single rep yet then do slow negatives until you can. Pop up to a wall with your hands about 10 inches from the wall, fingers pointing towards the wall, feet on the wall for balance.

Be careful to come down slowly though. Don’t want a broken neck.