Bringing Up My Squat

If your main goal is to bring up the squat try Smolov, base is just 3 weeks I think. Then do some other program that meets your general goals. For your numbers I don’t think weak point training is what you need to be looking at just yet.

Texas method did wonders for my squat at that level. Highly reccommended.

Sit back a little more, train hamstrings more (RDLS, Stiff leg deads, hypers, GMS, ham curls on hyper, ect…), arch really fucking hard, before you even go down, and hold the arch the whole time.

As far as programs, I would suggest westside for skinny bastards if you are after size and strength. I changed a lot about it, but followed the basic template when I was smaller.

Do HEAVY abs… that will help too, it will help the majority of people because most don’t do it.

You need to be consistent too, you said you deadlift 500 a few months ago then stopped. What is the point in getting strong if you aren’t going to keep the strength?

Being consistent will be the best thing you can do.

Also add in ukranian deadlifts for your low back.

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:
Sit back a little more, train hamstrings more (RDLS, Stiff leg deads, hypers, GMS, ham curls on hyper, ect…), arch really fucking hard, before you even go down, and hold the arch the whole time.

As far as programs, I would suggest westside for skinny bastards if you are after size and strength. I changed a lot about it, but followed the basic template when I was smaller.

Do HEAVY abs… that will help too, it will help the majority of people because most don’t do it.

You need to be consistent too, you said you deadlift 500 a few months ago then stopped. What is the point in getting strong if you aren’t going to keep the strength?

Being consistent will be the best thing you can do.

Also add in ukranian deadlifts for your low back.

[/quote]

What are Ukranian deadlifts? Another name for Romanian?

No, not another name for romanian.

For romanian you want to arch hard, hips way back, go down and let it stretch the hamstrings then come up…

For ukranian, you want to stand on 2 boxes or benches, hold a dumb bell, and round as much as possible as you go down then use your low back to pull yourself back up. No stopping at the top or bottom. Try 4 sets of 25 reps the first time you do it. With your squat, try a 30-45lb dumb bell, I bet it will be hard by the 4th set.

This is pretty decent form, but get the stance in some

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
If your main goal is to bring up the squat try Smolov, base is just 3 weeks I think. Then do some other program that meets your general goals. For your numbers I don’t think weak point training is what you need to be looking at just yet.[/quote]
I wonder if it’s what you’re advising, but I think Smolov Junior would be a good choice: three weeks, a manageable workload and quite effective.

OP, the first time you do it, you’ve better take 5% (or even 10%) out of your true max to calculate loads.

chain suspended goodmornings. these i find work really well. stay heavy with them. use a narrow stnace and stay in the 1-3 rep range. no belt.

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:
No, not another name for romanian.

For romanian you want to arch hard, hips way back, go down and let it stretch the hamstrings then come up…

For ukranian, you want to stand on 2 boxes or benches, hold a dumb bell, and round as much as possible as you go down then use your low back to pull yourself back up. No stopping at the top or bottom. Try 4 sets of 25 reps the first time you do it. With your squat, try a 30-45lb dumb bell, I bet it will be hard by the 4th set.

This is pretty decent form, but get the stance in some

[/quote]

Interesting.

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
If your main goal is to bring up the squat try Smolov, base is just 3 weeks I think. Then do some other program that meets your general goals. For your numbers I don’t think weak point training is what you need to be looking at just yet.[/quote]
I wonder if it’s what you’re advising, but I think Smolov Junior would be a good choice: three weeks, a manageable workload and quite effective.

OP, the first time you do it, you’ve better take 5% (or even 10%) out of your true max to calculate loads.[/quote]

I’m interested in something the way smolov works but I’m coming off another high frequency program where I squatted 4 times a week and did bodyweight jump/squats the other two days so I would like to stick to at the most 3 squatting days because my joints feel better already after a little break. I like how smolov increases the weight and lowers the reps. If I picked two days (mon/Thur) and just picked two days out of each week in the smolov cycle like 6x6x70% monday and 8x4x80% thursday, then I’d do the 10x3x85% monday? So basically stretching the cycle out by doing only 2 workouts per week instead of 4. But since I am spreading it out, I could also do other leg work on Monday/Thursday. I would do some of the assistance work mentioned, and maybe leg press and calves. What does everyone think of this?

[quote]illgixxer wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

OP, the first time you do it, you’ve better take 5% (or even 10%) out of your true max to calculate loads.[/quote]

I’m interested in something the way smolov works but I’m coming off another high frequency program where I squatted 4 times a week and did bodyweight jump/squats the other two days so I would like to stick to at the most 3 squatting days because my joints feel better already after a little break. I like how smolov increases the weight and lowers the reps. If I picked two days (mon/Thur) and just picked two days out of each week in the smolov cycle like 6x6x70% monday and 8x4x80% thursday, then I’d do the 10x3x85% monday? So basically stretching the cycle out by doing only 2 workouts per week instead of 4. But since I am spreading it out, I could also do other leg work on Monday/Thursday. I would do some of the assistance work mentioned, and maybe leg press and calves. What does everyone think of this?[/quote]

If you were already squatting 4 times a week then yea smolov (4 days a week) wouldn’t be as helpful. Its a good volume change for someone who is squatting once or twice a week. I am actually considering doing exactly what you just mentioned in a few months, the smolov rep scheme but twice a week, so I don’t know how well it works but it seems fine to me.

Ukrainian deads are great, also do zercher squats(squat holding the bar in the crook of your arms)

I am also a lifter with a longer torso; one thing you can do right off the bat is not squat so low if you want bigger numbers. You may have to increase your squatting frequency as well.