T Nation

Bringing Up Chest and Arms

What do you guys suggest to work on my arms and chest? Those are the two groups my wife says are lacking. My shoulders, back, legs etc… obviously need to be maintained but I want to focus on the chest and arms. Thanks for your suggestions.

implants.

For arms, use Coach Staley’s “EDT Arm Specialization” program. You’ll get scared at how fast your arms will grow.

[quote]oicu812many wrote:
What do you guys suggest to work on my arms and chest? Those are the two groups my wife says are lacking. My shoulders, back, legs etc… obviously need to be maintained but I want to focus on the chest and arms. Thanks for your suggestions. [/quote]

My arms lag too. Increasing work frequency for them worked in my case. I trained them three times a week for a couple of months and gained half an inch. I could not keep up this pace indefinitely because of joint stress, however, but it’s a valid strategy. It would be better not to use too much intensity (as I did) and letting the frequency take care of the adaptation. Please check articles by Chad Waterbury on the subject of increased freq, especially his latest, “The Perfect 10 Program.”

Metal

[quote]Metalhead603 wrote:
oicu812many wrote:
What do you guys suggest to work on my arms and chest? Those are the two groups my wife says are lacking. My shoulders, back, legs etc… obviously need to be maintained but I want to focus on the chest and arms. Thanks for your suggestions.

My arms lag too. Increasing work frequency for them worked in my case. I trained them three times a week for a couple of months and gained half an inch. I could not keep up this pace indefinitely because of joint stress, however, but it’s a valid strategy. It would be better not to use too much intensity (as I did) and letting the frequency take care of the adaptation. Please check articles by Chad Waterbury on the subject of increased freq, especially his latest, “The Perfect 10 Program.”

Metal[/quote]

Let’s be real for a second, if his goal is to “maintain” all other body parts, it will be very hard to only add size to his biceps and chest. Your body doesn’t even work like that. You grow all over. This is why there are no people with 20" under 170lbs.

Growing other parts isn’t a problem. I just want a program that will let the focus be on arms and chest.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Metalhead603 wrote:
oicu812many wrote:
What do you guys suggest to work on my arms and chest? Those are the two groups my wife says are lacking. My shoulders, back, legs etc… obviously need to be maintained but I want to focus on the chest and arms. Thanks for your suggestions.

My arms lag too. Increasing work frequency for them worked in my case. I trained them three times a week for a couple of months and gained half an inch. I could not keep up this pace indefinitely because of joint stress, however, but it’s a valid strategy. It would be better not to use too much intensity (as I did) and letting the frequency take care of the adaptation. Please check articles by Chad Waterbury on the subject of increased freq, especially his latest, “The Perfect 10 Program.”

Metal

Let’s be real for a second, if his goal is to “maintain” all other body parts, it will be very hard to only add size to his biceps and chest. Your body doesn’t even work like that. You grow all over. This is why there are no people with 20" under 170lbs.[/quote]

True…true…

Don’t be a newbie either. Your arms are composed of both biceps and triceps. 2/3rds of your arm is triceps. I can’t tell you the people I see pound away at concentration curls, one right after another, but then don’t train their tri’s. Most of the meat on your arms are going to come from your tri’s.

[quote]Tank53 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Metalhead603 wrote:
oicu812many wrote:
What do you guys suggest to work on my arms and chest? Those are the two groups my wife says are lacking. My shoulders, back, legs etc… obviously need to be maintained but I want to focus on the chest and arms. Thanks for your suggestions.

My arms lag too. Increasing work frequency for them worked in my case. I trained them three times a week for a couple of months and gained half an inch. I could not keep up this pace indefinitely because of joint stress, however, but it’s a valid strategy. It would be better not to use too much intensity (as I did) and letting the frequency take care of the adaptation. Please check articles by Chad Waterbury on the subject of increased freq, especially his latest, “The Perfect 10 Program.”

Metal

Let’s be real for a second, if his goal is to “maintain” all other body parts, it will be very hard to only add size to his biceps and chest. Your body doesn’t even work like that. You grow all over. This is why there are no people with 20" under 170lbs.

True…true…

Don’t be a newbie either. Your arms are composed of both biceps and triceps. 2/3rds of your arm is triceps. I can’t tell you the people I see pound away at concentration curls, one right after another, but then don’t train their tri’s. Most of the meat on your arms are going to come from your tri’s.[/quote],

This is very true, a good work out for both tris and ches is dips, you will be suprised at what it will do for both your bench and tris…

Want to get your chest and arms growing…start powerlifting…

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
Want to get your chest and arms growing…start powerlifting…[/quote]

And that would consist of…?

Professor X wrote:[quote]
Let’s be real for a second, if his goal is to “maintain” all other body parts, it will be very hard to only add size to his biceps and chest. Your body doesn’t even work like that. You grow all over. This is why there are no people with 20" under 170lbs.[/quote]

Professor X,

Very true. But you can boost your arms a little bit, as I did, and leave the rest of your body pretty much the same. The change in arm size won’t be major, or course, as would be the case if you gained size all over.

We’ve all seen scrawny guys with large arms, and I personally have 16" arms and a 51" torso. I do wish I could bring my arms up two inches and stay at the same chest size so my arms wouldn’t look so small, but as you say such major change in one bodypart won’t happen w/o gaining bodyweight all over.

Still, if specializing for eight weeks could give him half an inch, that’s not so bad.

Metal

Increase your daily calories by a few hundred or more. Train your arms and chest twice a week, every thing else once a week.

Most of the advice you are getting is very general. Someone has already suggested it, but check out Chad Waterbury’s “The Perfect 10” program. It’s a fairly recent article and its purpose is SPECIFICALLY to bring up lagging muscle groups. It is to be used concurrently with your other workout routine. You basically drop your chest/tricep exercises from your current routine and just follow a Perfect 10 routine for your chest/tris. This is EXACTLY what you are looking for. Remember though, if you wanna get big, you need to maintain a calorie surplus in your system. EAT AN ASSLOAD OF CLEAN FOOD!

Weighted Dips!!!

[quote]oicu812many wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
Want to get your chest and arms growing…start powerlifting…

And that would consist of…?

[/quote]

Heavy compound exercises lots of benching and lots of deadlifts, most powerlifter have impressive arm development without wasting time doings concentration curls and tricep kickbacks, I don’t do any direct tricep or bicep work. Have you seen gymnasts arms, they don’t do any direct arm work either…

For arms I really liked close to mid grip bench and dips alot. once I added those my tris grew. The funny thing was I was not focused on my arms at the time. It just took going heavy for multiple sets and my tris loved it. For BIs I noticed changes when I started doing chins and added into my standard biceps routine either reverse curls or hammers to complete the arm.

When I did this I was hitting arms about once every 4 days. My arms grew when strength was my focus. Then again that was probably why…they needed the change up and push to reach a new plateau.