T Nation

Bringing Supplements Into Canada

Just some information for my fellow Canadians who are considering bringing supplements into Canada and are unsure if it will be stopped at the border.

The following items are not allowed to be imported unless it is through your Doctor:
Carnitine, Acetly-L-Carnitine, Tryptophan, DHEA, Pregnenolone, Androstenedione, Yohimbe, Human Growth Hormone and Any Products Containing Vitamin K.

Your Doctor needs to call "Special Access Program", at 1-613-941-2108, and get permission to import them. He/She needs to place the order directly.

Almost all other supplements including Melatonin and 5-HTP are currently allowed to be imported (although you should check before ordering as regulations are changing all of the time)

Also your order must be for 90 days of usage, and not longer. The way they determine this is by reading what the label says. So if it says 1 tablet/capsule a day, then you are entitled to import only 90 units of this supplement.

You may double-check these restrictions by checking into the following web site: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ or calling one of the following numbers:

Quebec Regional Office:
1001, Saint-Laurent Street West
Longueuil, Quebec
J4K 1C7
Telephone: (450) 646 -1353

Atlantic Regional Office:
1992 Baffin Street
P.O. Box 1060
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
B2Y 3Z7
Telephone: (902) 426 - 4775

Ontario Regional Office:
2301 Midland Avenue
Scarborough, Ontario
M1P 4R7
Telephone: (416) 973 - 1466

Manitoba Regional Office:
510 Lagimodiere Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2J 3Y1
Telephone: (204) 983-5490

Saskatchewan District Office:
412 - 101 - 22nd Street East
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
S7K 0E1
Telephone:(306) 975 - 4502

Western Regional Office:
3155 Willingdon Green,
Burnaby, British Colombia
V5G 4P2
Telephone: (604) 666 - 3350

Edmonton Alberta District Office:
839, 9700 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
T5J 4C3
Telephone: (780) 495 - 3895

Calgary Alberta District Office:
282, 220 - 4th Avenue S.E.,
Calgary, Alberta
T2G 4X3
Telephone: (403) 292-4440

I hope this helps.

Vitamin K ?

Man us Canadians always get screwed on everything... Huge shipping costs, long waits, and now this crap

You fucking rock!!!!! After looking around forever, I finally know where to directly check if my supps will make it through the border.

Vitamin K can be produced in the intestines and this function is improved with the presence of cultured milk, like yogurt, in the diet, Vitamin K is classified as a fat-soluble vitamin.

Vitamin K is found in nature in two forms - K1, also called phylloquinone, is found in plants and vitamin K2, also called menaquinone, which can be synthesized by many bacteria. Vitamin K3, menadione, is a synthetic form of this vitamin which is manmade.

Vitamin K is used in the body to control blood clotting and is essential for synthesizing the liver protein that controls the clotting. It is involved in creating the important prothrombin, which is the precursor to thrombin - a very important factor in blood clotting. It is also involved in bone formation and repair. In the intestines it also assists in converting glucose to glycogen, this can then be stored in the liver. There are some indications that Vitamin K may decrease the incidence or severity of osteoporosis and slow bone loss.

A deficiency of this vitamin in newborn babies results in hemorrhagic disease, as well as postoperative bleeding and hematuria while muscle hematomas and inter-cranial hemorrhages have been reported.

A shortage of this vitamin may manifest itself in nosebleeds, and internal hemorrhaging.

Forgot to add this to my post.

If you are looking for Biotest products in Canada, the Canadian distributor for Biotest is a company called American Nutrition located in Hamilton, Ontario. Their telephone # 1-800-361-0287.

They are quite friendly and helpful. Just give them a shout and tell them where you live and what you are looking for, and they will supply you with the name and contact #'s of the nearest retailer to you.

Please do not ask them about the new Flameout Fish Oil at this time. It is so new that they do not carry it and will not be bringing it into the country for a little while. They advise that you buy it at this time direct from T-Nation or any other U.S. retailer that may be carrying this product.

Thanks for the info! And a nod to my fellow Canucks.

Thanks for the info.