T Nation

Bringing Knowledge to the Masses

Simple Question: if you could, or would.
How would you bring knowledge of training and nutrition to the world?
secondly; what would you tell them? I suppose the most obvious thing would be to start with the basics and build up from there.

Compulsory PE theory in schools would be a good way, but even that is minefield in itself as to what to teach, because even universities get it wrong sometimes.

Squats and milk.

Interesting question.

I wouldn’t try for a couple of reasons:

1. The masses already know but choose not to do the right things.

2. Most people do not want to hear anything other than “you are right”. Even when they ask questions, most of the time they are asking so they can tell you what they think and to get confirmation that they are right or proof that you are wrong.

What would I tell them? Easy, free advice is worthless and won’t be followed so if you want to know what I know, pay up.

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
Interesting question.

2. Most people do not want to hear anything other than “you are right”. Even when they ask questions, most of the time they are asking so they can tell you what they think and to get confirmation that they are right or proof that you are wrong.

What would I tell them? Easy, free advice is worthless and won’t be followed so if you want to know what I know, pay up.
[/quote]

Yep. It’s for those reasons that I read but don’t even post in training sections anymore, except for once in a blue moon. People already have their minds made up and just want others to agree with them.

Now, if somebody approaches me and are serious and have an open mind - different story.

You don’t have to “bring” anything to anyone, just lead by example.

[quote]MsM wrote:
905Patrick wrote:
Interesting question.

Yep. It’s for those reasons that I read but don’t even post in training sections anymore, except for once in a blue moon. People already have their minds made up and just want others to agree with them.

Now, if somebody approaches me and are serious and have an open mind - different story.

You don’t have to “bring” anything to anyone, just lead by example.[/quote]

Exactly,

I have a female friend that is not bad body composition wise cause she is small had 3 kids. She has some fat that she wants to turn to muscle. She is single Mom and doesn’t have much money beyond a gym membership and some basic supplements.

So I decided after she said she would be completely serious and follow everything I instructed her to do within normal parameters of living her life. And she has a better log book then I do.

She records everything she eats even the glasses of water she has a day. She records her sleep to the exact hour. All the training at the gym even the tempo.

I have carefully gone through everything with her training and supplementation and rest. I am so surprised at the results. In 6 weeks her legs and butt have smoothed out. Sure there is some fat there but women are suppose to have a little. She is getting stronger all the time. Her arms have little muscles in them and the fat on her arms is melting away.

We still have a ways to go but I can see an awesome difference.

One bad point she is getting aggressive cause her body is producing a little more T. Her libido is through the roof. Since she is making changes her idiot bf is saying stupid things like you should not have definition in your body etc etc.
And has not had sex with her in almost a month cause of it(or so he says).

But the point is. I drop knowledge on serious people free of charge. Lead by example and try to influence those that ask.

I would absolutely bring knowledge to the masses for a couple of reasons:

Takes responsibility from the trainer and places it upon the individual ? people can take responsibility for their workout and their goals. People who tend to have more information tend to be more dedicated as they have a sound understanding of the goal and how to achieve it and the consequences of failure.

Injury prevention ? look around your local gym. Really examine and take a postural analysis of someone doing a squat from head to should, to hips, to foot placement. Watch the biomechanics of the spine, hips, leg rotation as they squat, foot movement. Look at the people at the gym as place themselves into an injury progression. (I saw some article earlier about a wrist hurting while you squat and some else recommending that just change your hand positioning ? are you kidding me?)

Humanitarian ? Simply share what you have with others. Aid them in training and it will come back to you ten fold. This is a small industry and you build a reputation on how you deal an interact with pother. They may come back to you next time willing to pay for services and certainly refer.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Squats and milk.[/quote]

What she said.

cwutididthar?

There are some really basic misconceptions that the masses need to be aware of I think. The biggest that comes to mind right away is that extreme calorie deficits are a bad way to lose weight.

I think BMI should be completely thrown out the window, and body fat % combined with levels of activity should be used to more generally determine health (you can still be an unhealthy skinny bastard if you’re an ecto who never exercises).

Also weight training should be emphasized more over things like cardio for weight loss - and intervals should be taught. These are things that in my mind, no one with real experience in the health and fitness world could really argue with, but misconceptions still abound.

fascism

The masses are sleeping cozily in their bed. Such a pain to have to awake.

[quote]MsM wrote:

You don’t have to “bring” anything to anyone, just lead by example.

[/quote]

People will always pay more attention to your deeds than your words. Besides “the masses” don’t give a shit about training information, anyway.

“A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.”

-The Boxer
by Simon and Garfunkel

[quote]Omca wrote:
Simple Question: if you could, or would.
How would you bring knowledge of training and nutrition to the world?
secondly; what would you tell them? I suppose the most obvious thing would be to start with the basics and build up from there. [/quote]

The ancient Romans used to teach children to not eat during the day, with exception of small nibbles. This made them very alert and energetic, because eating all the time makes you sluggish and weak. Later then, Roman soldiers could march 30 or 40 miles, go into a pitched battle, put up a camp, then finally eat. They were lean and mean.

In contrast, slaves were fed all day (like Zoo animals) to keep them docile. They ‘bulked’.

When the Romans began eating all the time, like we do and their slaves did, Rome fell apart.

So, therefore, I’d teach people to fast/nibble all day and have one big healthy meal at night.

It’s a first world issue to a great degree.

Large parts of the world struggle for any nutrition as opposed to the right kind. Those same folks do enough physical labor that they need to rest at the end of the day rather then train.

Now those of us who are lucky enough to have the leisure time available to discuss it on the internet…we have no f-ing excuse.