Bringing 5/3/1 to Powerful Women

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Ha, you and me both, Alisa. I am like two different women stuck together: a shapely and moderately athletic one from the waist up and a prehistoric fertility goddess from the waist down (which is all the more galling because I have never wanted kids. I don’t have so much as a molecule of maternal instinct in my body). I have never had any appreciable definition and have had cellulite since puberty.

Nothing I have done has ever made any difference. Fact is, though, that I like to eat, and can’t put up with dieting for long enough to make any real difference. (In fact, stress is actually the only thing that will put me off my food - but I don’t have much of that currently).

Oh and PS, I don’t have boobs either, just a pair of sad labrador’s ears which hang from my pecs like an afterthought.[/quote]

Ha. I think we share the same body. Now I think of my titties as sad labrador ears. Somehow, I’m not feeling super sexy right now. I did chase a ball though. I’m a pretty slim build from to to bottom but I’ve has cellulite on the back of my legs since birth. Even this summer when I was under 10% bf I had dimples.

However, for quite some time, I’ve taken exception to people making statements such as ‘You can eat whatever you want’. I do pretty much eat whatever I want but what I want isn’t a shit ton of crap and is mostly whole foods. A couple of years ago the guy I was seeing told this to his (overweight) daughter. It pissed me off because statements like that would doom her to be fat forever since she clearly didn’t have my super magical metabolism (or incidentally, my puppy boobs).

Puppy boobs huh? This training log has become an itty-bitty-titty-committee confessional. Oh well. I’ll join in.

The truth is, I like my boobs. They’re of good shape, are a handful for me, and never once have interferred with posture or sport. However, no one can tell they exist unless I run around with my shirt off. In regular clothes, my shoulders (which are the largest circumference on me by 10 inches) dwarf my boobs to the extent that I look like a pancake. Since I’ve started training, this has become even more exaggerated.

The other day I tried on 30 shirts and none of them fit right. Cheers to tiny boobies.

Few tops fit me unless they’re stretchy, and even then I have issues. If they fit across the back, they’re huge on the waist. If they fit around the waist, they cut me under the arms. Also, because I have a long back, wide hips and relatively small waist, all my tops ride up, exposing my muffin top to all and sundry. (I make myself sound delightful don’t I? I guess it’s not that bad but I am my own harshest critic).

Im still giggling @ Labrador puppy boobs!

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Cal Jones wrote:
Ha, you and me both, Alisa. I am like two different women stuck together: a shapely and moderately athletic one from the waist up and a prehistoric fertility goddess from the waist down (which is all the more galling because I have never wanted kids. I don’t have so much as a molecule of maternal instinct in my body). I have never had any appreciable definition and have had cellulite since puberty.

Nothing I have done has ever made any difference. Fact is, though, that I like to eat, and can’t put up with dieting for long enough to make any real difference. (In fact, stress is actually the only thing that will put me off my food - but I don’t have much of that currently).

Oh and PS, I don’t have boobs either, just a pair of sad labrador’s ears which hang from my pecs like an afterthought.

Ha. I think we share the same body. Now I think of my titties as sad labrador ears. Somehow, I’m not feeling super sexy right now. I did chase a ball though. I’m a pretty slim build from to to bottom but I’ve has cellulite on the back of my legs since birth. Even this summer when I was under 10% bf I had dimples.

However, for quite some time, I’ve taken exception to people making statements such as ‘You can eat whatever you want’. I do pretty much eat whatever I want but what I want isn’t a shit ton of crap and is mostly whole foods. A couple of years ago the guy I was seeing told this to his (overweight) daughter. It pissed me off because statements like that would doom her to be fat forever since she clearly didn’t have my super magical metabolism (or incidentally, my puppy boobs).[/quote]

puppy boobies LOL, that’s a good one Cal!
bench pressing has magically evened out the girls, the left side is not deflated anymore. not sure how that worked, but it’s a lot cheaper than titty surgery.

as to how and why some women lose weight just by considering dieting and others have to work their entire lives at it, I believe it comes down to genetics and just how much one enjoys feeding themselves. Personally if there was a pill to replace daily feedings I’d take it, I get very little joy or comfort from food. There are exceptions to this but those times are few and far between. The last time I really wanted to eat something it was fish and chips after the Nationals, Julie will attest to my happiness of seeing that item on the menu. They were not all that good though, could have something to do with being about 2000 miles away from any sort of ocean or fresh seafood LOL.

[quote]dianab wrote:
The last time I really wanted to eat something it was fish and chips after the Nationals, Julie will attest to my happiness of seeing that item on the menu. They were not all that good though, could have something to do with being about 2000 miles away from any sort of ocean or fresh seafood LOL.[/quote]

I’d forgotten about that. They couldn’t hold a candle to a bagel with cream cheese though.

So I just learned how to do a kipping pull-up. It was super hard to relax my legs and throw myself away from the bar. Both of those actions are pretty counterintuitive after you’ve been doing regular pullups and trying to remove all momentum for 6 months.

Tonight I’m planning on trying my first cross-fit workout after I do my bench press.

I decided that Angie would be the least likely to interfere with deadlifts tomorrow:
for time:
100 pullups
100 pushups
100 situps
100 bodyweight squats

I know the situps and the squats are going to be a breeze for me, and I know I can make it through the pushups although I’ll have to take a few breaks. I’m planning on doing kipping pullups with a stool under my feet so I can assist myself a little bit and be reminded to relax at the knees. I’ll let you know how everything pans out…I’m sure my time will suck.

I predict sore abs from that lot.
Still, at least it isn’t Murph.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
I predict sore abs from that lot.
Still, at least it isn’t Murph.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree with you 100%. It’s going to hurt to laugh.

Bench today:

80x5
90x5
105x10 (new 1rm via rep calculator Go me!)

Then I did the cross fit workout described above with my boyfriend timing. 28:52 and I’m still quivering. I really have nothing else to say because somewhere in there my brain turned off.

Edit: I did jumping pullups instead of kipping. The bar was two inches above my finger-tips with my arms fully raised.

wow, go you!!

Okay I’m scared shitless about tonight’s workout:

I’ll be doing the regular 531 progress for the second week on deadlifts. Then I’m going to do this crazy ass crossfit workout:

25 burpees
15 bodyweight squats

Now I misunderstood what bodyweight squats meant for my last crossfit workout. It literally means your bodyweight on your back. I thought it just meant do it with ONLY your body. Fuck. I’m not going to include any accessory leg exercises today, because I don’t think I’ll be able to walk afterwards as is. I might push 531 squat day to Saturday.

So why would I do this if I think it might throw my regular 531 squat workout? Because I haven’t been doing enough high reps on my legs, and I think this is going to contribute quite a bit towards developing my legs this week, as long as I eat like a horse and sleep well until Saturday.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
So I just learned how to do a kipping pull-up. It was super hard to relax my legs and throw myself away from the bar. Both of those actions are pretty counterintuitive after you’ve been doing regular pullups and trying to remove all momentum for 6 months.

Tonight I’m planning on trying my first cross-fit workout after I do my bench press.

I decided that Angie would be the least likely to interfere with deadlifts tomorrow:
for time:
100 pullups
100 pushups
100 situps
100 bodyweight squats

I know the situps and the squats are going to be a breeze for me, and I know I can make it through the pushups although I’ll have to take a few breaks. I’m planning on doing kipping pullups with a stool under my feet so I can assist myself a little bit and be reminded to relax at the knees. I’ll let you know how everything pans out…I’m sure my time will suck.[/quote]

I almost threw up just reading that. I once did 75 chins in 15 minutes and my lats hated me the next day.

ouroboro_- Thanks? lol. I paced myself. Watching my boyfriend do it, however, was an education in the fundamental differences between men and women: after completing 25 pullups he looked ready to punch me in the face , threws up his hands, and demanded that I stop timing him. I refused, and he made it through just fine, except for being incredibly frustrated. I’ve noticed all of my male clients are like that- don’t pace themselves, and feel like they are failing just because it doesn’t come super easy.

Today I did the crossfit workout I described above: 3 rounds plus 14 burpess in 20 minutes. My shirt is sopping wet, so I had to come home and shower before starting work.

Before the crossfit routine I did the 531 second week deadlifts:

135x3
155x3
175x12 (WAY higher new pr according to the rep calculator. Infact, according to the rep calculator, this would put me at a 244lbs 1rm. Sweet!) In addition, I had a guy watching me and he said my back was perfectly straight for all of them (same for my squats during the crossfit deal)

Fuck. I feel the hunger coming on. Squats and milk FTW!!!

You just did 100 pullups and 100 pushups? holy crap.

[quote]arachne12 wrote:
You just did 100 pullups and 100 pushups? holy crap.[/quote]

Yeah, not all at once. It took me a while to get them all out. My lats hurt like a bitch right now.

Today’s 531 2nd week #s:
OHP:
55x3
60x3
70x6

Yeah I suck at this one. I’m not really concerned about it, and am more interested in building my shoulders for the purpose of walking around on my hands than anything else.
Assistance exs:
Single-Arm Push-Press:
40lbs for 3 sets with 6 reps per set.

Face-Pull (I started with lower weight to remind myself how to do this. It’s been a couple months.): 30lbs x 12reps x3 sets

I love this exercise^^^^! I have yet to find anything else that makes my rhomboids burn like this does.

Hand-stand eccentric push-ups (starting in hand-stand against the wall and slowly lowering myself into a headstand) 10repsx3

Then I did the crossfit workout Annie, which is supposed to consist of jump-rope double unders. It’s been about 12 years since I last picked up a jump rope, and I probably would have ended up in the emergency room if I tried to complete the required 150 total of those things. As it was, I could do one double under, stop, reset the rope, and repeat. Once fatigue set in that was just a recipe for a face-plant.

So I did the following with regular jumps:
50 jumps+ 50 situps
40 X +40 X …etc all the way down to 10 of each.

Total of 7:45 and the needing-to-hurl sensation. The fact that this workout is the first crossfit time trial that’s made me want to hurl is pretty funny, considering I did 45 reps of 130lb squats with the last one, and felt fine afterwards. I guess I’m not enough of a badass to stand up to a jumprope.

I have so much energy in my legs today! You know how when you’re a little kid you’ll get the urge to just take off running because walking is too slow? I totally felt that way all day and I’m super pumped for tomorrow! I wasn’t originally planning on doing lower body again until Saturday, but hell, it’s been two days since my last leg workout and I REALLY WANT TO GET BACK UNDER THAT BAR!

Argh!!! So fucking mad about today!!!

Here:

squat:
120x3
140x3
155x7 (literally failed at 8. I also happened to be filming. Fucking awesome. On the bright side, I learned that I need to focus my eyes somewhere other then I was focusing them during the squats)

For assistance:
walking lunges:
6 per legx 3 setx 50lb DBs

Reverse Hypers:
10repsx3 sets no weight because these are not as easy as they looked

squat press:
180lbsx8
230lbsx8
270lbsx8 (I realized that I could have done more. Next time I will start at 270 and try to work my way up to 300)

And here’s the part that pisses me off:

Tabata body weight squats (135lbs on the bar).

For those of you who didn’t know, Tabata is considered a complete workout involving 8 rounds of 20 seconds on balls-to-wall and 10 seconds off. So for the first 20 seconds, you complete as many reps as possible, then rack the weight for 10 seconds, then pick it up and go for another 20 seconds, then rack for 10 etc. Your lowest round is your score for the whole workout.

The first time I started, I got through 2 rounds of 5 reps each, and then my boyfriend messed up on timing. I rested for 5 minutes, and started again. The second attempt, I got through 3 rouns of 5 reps each, and then messed up on the third round, so my score for the whole tabata was 2 (I did finish out the tabata doing 2 per round).

From now on, when I squat, I will also do tabata, and it will be better.

squat press?

Did you mean leg press?