Bringing 5/3/1 to Powerful Women

I’m in recruitment - if anyone ever emails me their CV and starts their email with “Dear Carl” it goes straight in the trash can. If you can’t spend the time to read a name correctly then you ain’t gettin the job, motherfucker.

I’m marginally more tolerant of people who write to “Mr Jones” but only because Cal can be short for Calvin or Callum - however, I always point it out to them and tell them not to make assumptions in future if they want to actually get a fucking job. They usually apologise sheepishly.

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:
Oleena wrote:
rcfromdb= I haven’t spent very much of my life training my fast twitch muscle fibers. Basically, slow twitch fibers responsible for endurance activities, whereas fast twitch are better at big, short efforts, and the actual cell is much bigger.

I’m just amazed you managed to create MORE slow twitch fibers. Was that a painful surgery? Or did you just get injected with radioactive acid? [/quote]

Yes. It was actually part of an alien abduction which scarred me for life, and I will never be able to lift the same. Thanks for asking.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
I’m in recruitment - if anyone ever emails me their CV and starts their email with “Dear Carl” it goes straight in the trash can. If you can’t spend the time to read a name correctly then you ain’t gettin the job, motherfucker.

I’m marginally more tolerant of people who write to “Mr Jones” but only because Cal can be short for Calvin or Callum - however, I always point it out to them and tell them not to make assumptions in future if they want to actually get a fucking job. They usually apologise sheepishly.[/quote]

Wtf? We’re here to train, not get our panties in a bunch over dyslexia. I’m sorry I didn’t take the time to read your name correctly, but on the other hand I’m sure you’ve misread and mis-typed plenty of words yourself, so what’s the point in being judgmental?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I’m looking forward to following along. I envy your bench and I have no doubt your squat and deadlift will follow before too long. I’ve thought about trying 5/3/1 but am doing a modified sheiko at the moment.

You seem to have already done a shit ton of work on discovering what works for you. That’s something many people don’t put the effort into. They try template after template wondering why it’s not working.[/quote]

Thanks! That means a lot coming from someone who has accomplished as much as you have (seriously… I know I’m sarcastic 98% of the time, but I meant that sincerely).

Regarding the slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers, you actually have 3 types, fast glycolytic(fast twitch), slow oxidative(slow twitch), these two never change(you are born with a certain number of these), but the third type fast oxidative, can adapt or lean more towards a certain muscle fiber type depending on your type of training. As oleena alluded to she trained mostly in the endurance range for a long time so her muscle fibers are more geared towards endurance.
never thought anatomy would be useful, but there you go, carry on. /hijack

[quote]Oleena wrote:
Wtf? We’re here to train, not get our panties in a bunch over dyslexia. I’m sorry I didn’t take the time to read your name correctly, but on the other hand I’m sure you’ve misread and mis-typed plenty of words yourself, so what’s the point in being judgmental?
[/quote]

Calm down ducky, I was reply to the other posts rather than to yours. It’s one thing getting a name wrong on a forum, but it’s another when people are applying for jobs, which was the only point I was making.

Besides, I don’t wear panties.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Oleena wrote:

Calm down ducky, I was reply to the other posts rather than to yours. It’s one thing getting a name wrong on a forum, but it’s another when people are applying for jobs, which was the only point I was making.

[/quote]

Nice!

On a training note: Today I attempted the overhead press based on the idea that my max was 95 lbs (I was able to do that three months ago). Long story short, it’s not 95 lbs. I did do 75lbsx5, and according to the rep calculator, that would put my max at 87. So I should have done 50x5 60x5 and then it’s supposed to go to 62. Yeah… based on today’s performance I’m going to round down and do another set at 60 for as many reps as I can.

I also did ring dips: 5/3/3/2
Ring pullups: 8 and then 5. I pretty much suck at the ring, but they’re fun so I’m going to keep playing around. I also tried to do the pike position (where you try to lower yourself from an upside down position, slowly, while keeping your legs straight). Lats FTW! The first time I tried this I couldn’t achieve any angle, and this time I got maybe 10degrees. Not much, but I held it for as long as I could and felt the lats trembling. That’s a weird sensation. I don’t think most people have ever consciously felt their lats.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
Cal Jones wrote:
Oleena wrote:

Nice!

On a training note: Today I attempted the overhead press based on the idea that my max was 95 lbs (I was able to do that three months ago). Long story short, it’s not 95 lbs. I did do 75lbsx5, and according to the rep calculator, that would put my max at 87. So I should have done 50x5 60x5 and then it’s supposed to go to 62. Yeah… based on today’s performance I’m going to round down and do another set at 60 for as many reps as I can.

I also did ring dips: 5/3/3/2
Ring pullups: 8 and then 5. I pretty much suck at the ring, but they’re fun so I’m going to keep playing around. I also tried to do the pike position (where you try to lower yourself from an upside down position, slowly, while keeping your legs straight). Lats FTW! The first time I tried this I couldn’t achieve any angle, and this time I got maybe 10degrees. Not much, but I held it for as long as I could and felt the lats trembling. That’s a weird sensation. I don’t think most people have ever consciously felt their lats.

[/quote]

Have you ever tried muscle ups? I tried them last year and got up on one side but am a bit of a spazz.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Oleena wrote:

Have you ever tried muscle ups? I tried them last year and got up on one side but am a bit of a spazz.[/quote]

No. I want to though! But I think that I’d fail miserably given my current number of dips to failure. Once I can do over ten with no prob, and an equal number of pullups, I’ll start trying. I’ve heard that the hard part in doing a set a muscle ups is actually coming down from them. It’s hard not to be a spazz!

Keep rockin’ lady, I hit a major PR today (6 reps on the military press on week 3, which is a good rep # for this week).

Good job PB! I’m coming for yah :wink:

Ring dips are pretty tough - I bought a set a while back but don’t use them much (they’re at home and I train in the gym round the corner). Stabilising yourself takes a lot of strength.
Anyone who can do a muscle up is a real stud. I’m not even close to that, though. It’s as much as I can manage to do one or two pull-ups.

Okay ladies, here’s my big confession and be prepared to hate me: I loose weight REALLY easily. As in, I have dropped 10 lbs in a month without thinking about it or even realizing it. It takes daily dedication to eat enough in order to see any strength increases.

So here’s my question: why is it so difficult for some women to loose weight while others drop it the second they stop keeping a food journal? I’ve tracked the calories, and I estimate that I’m still eating around 1800 when I stop paying attention to diet.

My only answer for this is that my mother was a health food freak and I wasn’t even allowed to have sugar until I was over 5 years old. All natural diet for the first five years of life! Could this have something to do with the way my body processes things? And no, I don’t have a thyroid issue.

I’m thinking that there’s some basic difference between my hormones and the hormones of a woman who’s spent a lot of life at a higher body fat percentage. Perhaps if we could figure out this difference, and how to reset the hormones somehow, everyone could be the weight they want to be.

Okay, enough musing. I’m off to the gym to knock out some squats. Also making sure to pack a ton of food this time, as a protein shake doesn’t seem to cut it.

Oleena,
For what it’s worth, I was raised by hippies and allowed no sugar or processed food at all until I became a teenager, and I’ve always been quite slender without trying. But I attributed it to my never developing a taste for sweets and a preference for vegetables (although I am weak for potato chips) and frequent small meals.

But after I started working out hard, my need for food shot up even more, while I cleaned up my eating. I don’t know how much of it is diet and how much is body chemistry factors. There’s actually an article on FA about your “fat setpoint”. Just sharing!

I’ve wondered that myself. I think (anecdotally) that there actually is variety in people’s builds; some people will get fatter than others on the same diet. I’ve heard a few physiological mechanisms for that – for instance, some people have a kind of gut bacteria that breaks down food molecules, so they literally get more calories from the same food.

But then there’s also how you eat. Some people are not big on eating; they don’t actually enjoy chowing down. They’ll forget to eat under stress. I’m a food lover, always will be, to my sorrow.

Let me just say, with the greatest affection, that I hate all you skinny bitches.

I totally was NOT raised by hippies. Rather by food-loving German people who loved their wursts and bread and chocolate. I was pretty much the same weight from high school (class of '82 bay-bee) until last year, give or take five pounds, without ever once dieting. Cleaner eating and lifting heavy for just six months lost me 10 pounds on the scale while muscle mass went from non-existent to pretty good. I neither have to eat constantly nor diet hard to maintain my weight.

Oh, my reaction to stress is not to eat and I’m not particularly “big on eating”.

Alisa darling, I completely understand…

I think everybody’s body is just different. One diet philosophy does not work for everybody.

Alisa, we skinny bitches love you desperately!
And not that I don’t appreciate society’s approval for being skinny but my boyfriend makes it clear that he wishes I had a little more here and there to grab on to. I’m just saying. :slight_smile:

[quote]arachne12 wrote:
Oleena,
For what it’s worth, I was raised by hippies and allowed no sugar or processed food at all until I became a teenager, and I’ve always been quite slender without trying. But I attributed it to my never developing a taste for sweets and a preference for vegetables (although I am weak for potato chips) and frequent small meals.

But after I started working out hard, my need for food shot up even more, while I cleaned up my eating. I don’t know how much of it is diet and how much is body chemistry factors. There’s actually an article on FA about your “fat setpoint”. Just sharing![/quote]

I have a weakness for potato chips and a dis-taste for sweets as well! Interesting. And Alisa, I understand the hate. I’ll trade you for some boobs though :wink:

In the gym today:

Squats: 105x5
120x5
135x10 . Technically not any kind of record there. I really need to get into crossfit for cardio soon because I think my lack of cardio conditioning held me back from accomplishing more in today’s workout. I’m also going to get one of the trainers to watch my form on the next squat day as it feel like it’s inconsistent and the bad form wore me out a bit.

what’s that about boobs?

Ha, you and me both, Alisa. I am like two different women stuck together: a shapely and moderately athletic one from the waist up and a prehistoric fertility goddess from the waist down (which is all the more galling because I have never wanted kids. I don’t have so much as a molecule of maternal instinct in my body). I have never had any appreciable definition and have had cellulite since puberty.

Nothing I have done has ever made any difference. Fact is, though, that I like to eat, and can’t put up with dieting for long enough to make any real difference. (In fact, stress is actually the only thing that will put me off my food - but I don’t have much of that currently).

Oh and PS, I don’t have boobs either, just a pair of sad labrador’s ears which hang from my pecs like an afterthought.