Bringing 5/3/1 to Powerful Women

In the last couple of months my bench press has gone up to 130lbs, my squat is still around 175 due to not training it specifically enough (I was doing front squats, back squats, you name it I tried it, etc), and my deadlift stalled at 195. Try as I might, I haven’t been able to get 200, even though I’ve pulled 195x5repsx3sets.

What I’ve discovered through all of this experimentation is that low reps work very well on my upper body, while high reps tend to do more for my lower. For example, I noticed the most progress (25lbs in a month) on my bench when I was doing a 4-3-2 wave and the most progress on my lower when I was banging out 5 plus reps per set. What has slowed me down the most has been trying to accomplish a lot with low reps on my lower body. It’s just not having it.

Right now I’m mainly interested in upping my deadlift and squat. I feel that my bench has made great progress from where I started, and it’s time to make the other lifts catch up.

For a while I was posting a training log over in the main training log area. There I observed a TON of 5-3-1 training logs. After reading Jim Wendler’s articles on this site, I went out and bought his ebook: 5-3-1 The Simplest and Most Effective Training program. If you really want to understand all of the numbers behind this training journal and learn some useful ideas for your own program, I recommend buying that ebook from elitefit.com.

The reason why I decided to post this journal here is that I’m interested in how this program will work on a woman. As I mentioned above, I’ve already found that different rep schemes are better on different body parts. I’ve had several other women try lower reps on their upper body after getting stuck, and they also found that it worked better than 5 reps.

So how will this much more complicated program work? Will my lower body notice more improvement than my upper because the reps are higher?

Today I’m heading down to the gym for the first day of the program, which is going to be deadlifts.

Here’s what I’ll be doing:

Deadlift: 120x5, 135x5, 155x5 or as many as I can get. Here’s the trick to the program- on the last set you just keep going and try to set a new rep pr for that weight. I’ll keep you posted as to what happens.

In addition, I’m going to start training with certain crossfit workouts three or four days a week. I haven’t picked which ones yet, but the idea is that they will compliment whatever I did that day without wearing out a different body part for the next day.

your in good company…there are a few girls here doin the same program! :slight_smile:

Interesting! Will definitely be following your science experiment. Good Luck!

Good luck, I’m on cycle 2 of 5/3/1 and so far its been a good experience.

Good stuff, I’ll be following this. 5/3/1 is a great program. I’m in cycle 3 and as strong/big as ever. Your legs should get a good workout every time because it has low reps + high reps with deads and squats (i.e. the widowmaker-type rep out set which make you want to puke). And feel free to tailor the accessory work to your own needs, you don’t NEED to do 5x10 or whatever he recommends. I might do 8 reps for triceps, 5 for hams, 10 for chest, etc. It’s all up to you and what you feel works best. Good luck!!

Oh yeah: don’t let the Crossfit workouts affect your workouts. The main part I’m worried about is your lower back not recovering, which could make your squat and DL sessions suck. For me through experience, I could not go above 2 complex sessions (similar enough to Crossfit) per week, and they could not be before DL/squat days.

Anxiously looking forward to how this plan works for you!

Hi Oleena!

I’m trying out a 5/3/1 loading/rep scheme for my deadlift and overhead pressing. I’ll be interested to follow your training/science experiment!

195 x 5 x 3 and can’t do a single at 200???

are u serious???

that is not a stall. that’s a mental block.

and yeah… 5/3/1’s already been here and made a baby.

glad ur on board too. =+)

Hi, Oleena.

You may catch some heat for the title of your log :slight_smile:

Alot of us here have been running 5/3/1 for a while(I’m about to start my 5th cycle).

Anywho, welcome.

[quote]dejavued wrote:
and yeah… 5/3/1’s already been here and made a baby.
[/quote]

quintuplets, i think.

t, imma need some wine before this is over.

Deadlifts from today’s workout:

120x5
135x5
155x15

It was kind of fun to knock out a high rep set after keeping it below 5 reps for the last couple months.

Whoa there were some comments since the first post.

In reply- I’m glad to see there’re other women out there trying this program. I’m really interested in whether 531 will have the same success on the upper body lifts for women as I already highly suspect it will for the lower body, so I’ll be sure to check on everyone else’s logs and see how they’re doing.

As for the til-you-puke sets at the end…these are actually pretty fun for me compared with lifting high weight low rep. Maybe it’s just the break from high weight, or maybe it’s because I have ridiculously low amount of fast twitch fibers due to years of martial arts. Whatever the case, I’m rocking it right now.

Thank you all for your comments and support!

Seen your posts over at SAMA so welcome to PW. Interested in 5/3/1 myself - only thing is that you seem to need a pocket calculator to work out all the weights. But carry on.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
snip or maybe it’s because I have ridiculously low amount of fast twitch fibers due to years of martial arts. snip
[/quote]

que?

Carl Jones- Thanks. I’m actually still posting in SAMA under a different name. As for 531 needing a calculator, you can figure it all out at home ahead of time for the entire month, and then all you need to record is your last set of the day. It’s pretty simple, and in addition, I think all lifters should be aware of what percentage of their max they’re working at in order to periodize properly. Probably the main thing that makes this program so effective for the masses is that it does just that.

rcfromdb= I haven’t spent very much of my life training my fast twitch muscle fibers. Basically, slow twitch fibers responsible for endurance activities, whereas fast twitch are better at big, short efforts, and the actual cell is much bigger.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
rcfromdb= I haven’t spent very much of my life training my fast twitch muscle fibers. Basically, slow twitch fibers responsible for endurance activities, whereas fast twitch are better at big, short efforts, and the actual cell is much bigger. [/quote]

I’m just amazed you managed to create MORE slow twitch fibers. Was that a painful surgery? Or did you just get injected with radioactive acid?

i just wanna know who the fuck Carl is?

[quote]talenaah wrote:
i just wanna know who the fuck Carl is?[/quote]

Carl Jung…oh no wait, wait…Carl Rogers.

Carls Jr…FTW!!!

I’m looking forward to following along. I envy your bench and I have no doubt your squat and deadlift will follow before too long. I’ve thought about trying 5/3/1 but am doing a modified sheiko at the moment.

You seem to have already done a shit ton of work on discovering what works for you. That’s something many people don’t put the effort into. They try template after template wondering why it’s not working.

pretty sure she meant Cal…but Carl’s JR? I’ll take some of those fried zucchinis!! mmmmmm*drool