Bringin Back Squat Back

120k hit for a bunch of doubles. Maybe 4? I forget.

Back feels pretty good still, no complaints as of yet. Think I might chill at 120 for a couple more sessions, though. The plan to add 5k every 2 weeks has fallen by the wayside but I can’t keep adding 10k each week. It’s too dangerous.

So I think I’ll keep it at 120k for now. I’ll do a shit ton of triples at that weight for a couple of weeks

Strolling through the training logs thinking of starting one of my own, and I happened to come across this gem. The opening bit cracked me up. Then the follow up comment. Haha

How did you you injure your back in the first place? Forgive me if you’ve mentioned this before.

[quote]Steez wrote:
Strolling through the training logs thinking of starting one of my own, and I happened to come across this gem. The opening bit cracked me up. Then the follow up comment. Haha

How did you you injure your back in the first place? Forgive me if you’ve mentioned this before.

[/quote]

sup Steez,

My back’s been fucked for years. First started having problems with it when I was 15. I’ve had about a squillion diagnoses from different professionals over the years, and after a while I just stopped trying to find out exactly what the problem is.

Essentially, posture deficits from a childhood spent hunched over a computer game, guitar or bong coupled with training like the classic dumb kid who does everything completely wrong made it way worse.

My back’s been ok for the last while as I tailored my routine to doing everything I could to make it as lower back friendly as possible. A typical lower body day would be something like:

-Leg Extension/Leg Curl superset
-Leg Press
-GHR
-Front Squat

Exclusively using front squats and doing them at the end of the routine means I keep the weight needed down, and I do ludicrously high reps (20-30 sometimes) just to really brutalise myself with minimal spinal loading. It appears I may actually have been doing more harm than good with this approach, but time will tell if the deadlift is a kill or cure.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
and I’m sexier than you.
[/quote]

No you’re not! I can do the moonwalk.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
and I’m sexier than you.
[/quote]

No you’re not! I can do the moonwalk.[/quote]

Oh please, the moonwalk died with Bubbles

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
and I’m sexier than you.
[/quote]

No you’re not! I can do the moonwalk.[/quote]

Oh please, the moonwalk died with Bubbles[/quote]

Crap. That was a good one. First time I can’t think of a proper comeback hahaha.

Yogi 1 - Asian Cat Boy 0

Correction:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Scottish Juice Monkey 1 - Asian Cat Boy 0[/quote]

don’t be spamming up my log with your pro-cat propaganda! We’re here for serious discussion about back rehab and informative discourse.

EDIT: Haha, you dirty bastard, I’ve just noticed the “juice monkey” thing. I’m 100% natty,

The weird thing is, this whole time I didn’t picture dt being asian.

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

That’s because you haven’t heard my accent.

It’s fried rice, you plick!

[quote]Yogi wrote:
don’t be spamming up my log with your pro-cat propaganda! We’re here for serious discussion about back rehab and informative discourse.

EDIT: Haha, you dirty bastard, I’ve just noticed the “juice monkey” thing. I’m 100% natty,[/quote]

Oh ok lol.

I think the important thing about doing deadlifts while avoiding lower back pain is to not lose tension between reps. This does not mean you have to do them touch and go.

*I’ve stopped doing them btw. Prefer rack pulls now. Much easier on my lower back.

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

I know, eh? Kinda puts you off him slightly

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

EDIT: Haha, you dirty bastard, I’ve just noticed the “juice monkey” thing. I’m 100% natty,[/quote]

Oh ok lol.

I think the important thing about doing deadlifts while avoiding lower back pain is to not lose tension between reps. This does not mean you have to do them touch and go.

*I’ve stopped doing them btw. Prefer rack pulls now. Much easier on my lower back.[/quote]

Funny you say that, but I have been pretty much just dropping my reps from the top position, then spending a good 10-15 seconds getting tight as hell against the bar before my next rep.

Rack pulls would be a much better option for me but I just really want to be able to deadlift again. The semi-sumo stance seems to be perfect for me so far.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

I know, eh? Kinda puts you off him slightly[/quote]

You should see my tuppleware collection. Even my wife gets put off.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Oh ok lol.

*I’ve stopped doing them btw. Prefer rack pulls now. Much easier on my lower back.[/quote]

Funny you say that, but I have been pretty much just dropping my reps from the top position, then spending a good 10-15 seconds getting tight as hell against the bar before my next rep.

Rack pulls would be a much better option for me but I just really want to be able to deadlift again. The semi-sumo stance seems to be perfect for me so far.
[/quote]

Well, that’s cool as long as it’s working. I find pulling multiple reps from a deadstop to be what screws up my back.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Oh ok lol.

[/quote]

You’ve always got my vote for ROM progression to ease back into full ROM pulling. It’s how I overcame a pretty serious back injury and started to finally progress on deadlifts. It’s a good middleground in this regard as well.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Oh ok lol.

[/quote]

Rack Pulls would work for sure. Much less stress on the lower back. Plus you can typically add much more weight rather than deads so you don’t have look like a total pussy next time the fitness models come in.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

Just slightly, not much in regards to training and knowledge about lifting in general, but more so what I picture him doing when he’s not lifting like yelling at 9y/o’s on Xbox or doing math for fun. lol

[quote]Steez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

Just slightly, not much in regards to training and knowledge about lifting in general, but more so what I picture him doing when he’s not lifting like yelling at 9y/o’s on Xbox or doing math for fun. lol[/quote]

LMAO!!!