Bring the Forum

T-Brood: Often imitated, seldom duplicated, never overrated, protein constipated, likely playa-hated, forum moderated, here it is: the first phase of the 12-week program we’ve been cold lampin’ with style. All worthy fellows stand up and be counted; in the words of the bard (roughly speaking), he who shall shed his blood with me today shall be my brother.

Phase 1 (3 weeks) Mondays: Shoulders: 3, 2, and 1 sets each of 8-10 reps of rear, side, and front lateral raises; 1 set of 8-10 reps standing DB presses; 1 set 6-8 reps BTN press. Biceps: 3-2-1 sets of 8-10 reps of DB reverse, hammer, and regular curls; 2 set of 6-8 reps incline curls w/ wrist curl at bottom of movement. Triceps: 3-2-1 sets of 8-10 reps of DB overhead, supine, and decline french presses; 2 sets of 6-8 reps CG bench.

Tuesdays: Quads: Unilateral Leg Ext., 2 sets of 10-12 reps; BB Lunges, 2 sets of 6-8 reps; DB squats or BB hacks, 2 sets of 8-10 reps; Olympic style squats, 2 sets of 8-10 reps. Calves: Pop 'em out routine (3 triple drop sets of seated calf raises, 3 sets of standing unilateral calf raises w/ knee unlocked). Abs: Cable wood choppers, 3 sets of 10 reps each side.

Thursdays: Chest: the 3 part superset Jerry Telle Routine from T-Mag issue 47, 2 sets; Incline Bench, 2 sets of 8-10 reps. Back: 2 triple supersets of 6, 6, 6 reps: Bilateral BO Dumbell Rows to Chest (torso parallel to ground)-and- Bilateral BO DB Rows to sternum level (torso at 70 degrees)-and- Bilateral BO Underhand rows to waist (torso at 45 degrees); Chins, 2 sets of 8-10 reps.

Fridays: Hams: Unilateral Leg curls, 2 sets of 10-12 reps; Unilateral Good mornings, 2 sets of 6-8 reps; GH Raise or cable pull-throughs, 2 sets of 8-10 reps; Snatch Grip Deads, 2 sets of 8-10 reps. Calves: Unilateral Toe Press on Sled, 4 sets of 8 reps. Abs: Incline Situps, 3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Make sure to take "before" measurements so you can wow yourself with your progress just a measly 3 months from now. I'm definitely on board, starting Monday, and Jason N. (who'll post phase 2 shortly) is too. Who else be down? Come n' git some!

I’m in, but since the forum has been a bit jumpy of late, I’ll wait until things are normal to post phase 2. I think you guys will like what you see and always remember that you can easily make appropriate subsitutions.

So if you want to make some serious progress over the next 12 weeks and get ready to start 2003 several steps ahead of where you thought you would be, get on this wagon with Zev and I!

Phase 2 to be posted later this weekend.

I wanted to contribute to this project however it was swarmed upon and I didn’t get the opportunity. I would, however, enjoy being a participant in the real world testing of this program as it looks thoroughly asskick. I cannot say when, exactly, but I shall consider it for my upcoming mass phase. Thanks T-Forumites. Lata.

MBE: “Natural Selection picked the wrong door. Since 1493.”

-Eric

Ok, the general guidelines are that stages 1 and 3 are hypertrophy based, stage 2 will be a mix of strength and hypertrophy and stage 4 will likely be primarily strength, with just a bit of hypertrophy. So here is phase 2, I really hope these html tags all turn out:

Monday

Max Effort
Close Grip or Incline Bench, 4x3, 3 min rest btwn sets

EDT Superset 15 min
Slight Incline Dumbell Bench
Cable Rows

Accessory Work
Tricep Pressdowns, 3x12, 2 min rest
DB Rear Delt Raises, 3x12, 90sec rest
Rotator Cuff Work, 3x10, 90 sec rest

Abs Saxon Side Bends, 3x10, 2 min rest

Finisher Farmer?s Walk for 5 min

Tuesday

Dynamic Effort
Power Cleans, 8x2, 1 min rest

Bilateral Accessory Work
Squats, 4x8-10, 3 min rest
Toe Press, 4x8-10, 2 min rest

Unilateral Accessory Work
Unilateral Leg Press, 4x10, 2 min rest btwn sets, no rest btwn legs

Abs
Hanging Leg Raises, 3x8-10, 2 min rest

Finisher
8 min GPP Circuit (4 circuits total ? 2 min each) ? Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Shuffle Splits, Mountain Climbers, each movement is done for 30 sec, take 30sec rest btwn each circuit if you need it

Thursday

Dynamic Effort
Push Press or Clap Chins, 8x3(push press), 8x2(clap chins), 1 min rest

EDT Superset 15 min
DB, BB or Machine Overhead Press
Chins

Accessory Work
BB Curls, 3x12, 2 min rest
DB Side Delt Raises, 3x12, 90sec rest
Rotator Cuff Work, 3x10, 90 sec rest

Abs Russian Twist, 3x10, 2 min rest

Finisher One Minute Chin (30 sec concentric, 30 sec eccentric)

Friday

Max Effort
Deadlifts, 4x3, 3 min rest

Bilateral Accessory Work
Glute Ham Raises or Ham Pull Thrus, 4x8-10, 2 min rest
Seated Calf Raises Press, 4x15, 2 min rest

Unilateral Accessory Work
Unilateral Leg Curls or King Deadlifts, 4x10, 2 min rest btwn sets, no rest btwn legs

Abs
Swiss Ball Crunches, 3x8-10, 2 min rest

Finisher
One Arm DB Snatch Drop Set ? 1x6(3L,3R),6,6, then AMRAP, Pick a heavy weight that you could do for 7-8 reps to start, drop by 10 lbs or so for next five, then another ten for the next 5, then another ten and do as many reps as possible, alternate hands each 3 reps and start with weakest arm

Have Fun! And Remember to make any changes that are appropriate for your situation.

Just closing my bold tag.

Zev and I are committed to this thing for 12 weeks, so this thread should be alive for quite a while. We will post our progress, changes, etc. for others to learn from. Personally, I’d love to see several people try this out and I think it will be quite a challenge as it pulls from just about every strength coach contributor to T-mag.

Phase 3 will include an option for adding a 2 week MAG-10 cycle and Phase 4 will be structured in a way to optimally maximize gains from a MAG-10 cycle.

I will be doing this program while utilizing the Power Stack and Myostat (so Tim Patterson - please draw my name if your reading this - I've only got enough of this stuff for a couple of weeks). I also plan on including MAG-10 during Phase 3. I'll be posting real (i.e. - flexing and comparable) before and after pics in the photo forum. After a 5 month nasty training rut where things have been off and on at best, I don't really feel like posting my picture now, if you know what I mean. It also gives me a little motivation, if you all know that I've said this publically - so hold me to it. I'm off to my first workout now - gonna blast my shoulders and arms!

Finally, I'll be doing this M,W,F and a weekend day. I'll be adding 10-15 min of sledgehammer work on T and R and I'll be warming up for 5-10 mins and doing post workout stretching for 10 mins after each workout. Like I said, I've been in a nasty rut of late and I'm excited about this and I'll be the first to admit, I could use a little encouragement :-)

Oh, I tried to close the bold tag again, so if it doesn't work, can someone please fix it, because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Bold be gone!

Bold-free-bump!

Day 1 seemed easy enough, but I’ve barely been able to move my arms since Monday as my bis and tris are totally sore.

Day 2 was today and everything was good. I need to warm up more before leg work, but time was pressing. Also, one change was that I dropped the standing unilateral calf raises. My calves were so tight and pumped with the 3 drop sets of seated calf raises, I could barely walk normal.

That's all for now.

Im in!!! Starting Friday (Im a Tuesday to Saturday working man) and a chock filled high protein massive eating style diet. NSW Police Academy here I come…

is there any tempos assosiated with these workouts?

Well, the tempo area is really your call. Since phase 1 is mostly bobybuilding work, my tempos have been a bit slower than normal like a 3-4 sec eccentric, 1 sec pause and 1-3 sec concentric. So in short, the tempo guidelines are kind of your call.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I agree with Jason that the Phase I Monday workout is deceptively difficult; I’m still feeling it in my arms 3 days later. As coincidence would have it, I also ended up skipping the standing calf raises in Tuesday’s workout, not because my calves were thoroughly trashed, but because I’m training with a new partner and the rest of the workout had already taken too long. Hopefully as we become more efficient we’ll be able to include them in the weeks to come. And I second Jason’s suggestion to use whatever tempos seem best to you; at this point I think most T-mag readers should know enough to figure that out for themselves.

how long should rest intervals be in phase 1?

I use rest periods of about 60 sec btwn sets of smaller muscle groups and 2 min between big exercises and the drop sets. If it refers to a particular routine (Pop Em Out or Jerry Telle) just use the recommendations in the article.

One note for day 1 - I did the shoulder work first and then the bi/tri work together - one set bi, rest 60s, one set tri, rest 60s and so on.

Ryan: The program as I originally wrote it up had rest intervals. Sorry I didn’t post them. I wouldn’t worry about it too much if I were you, though; just be consistent and keep them to a minimum.
Jason: You’re in for it with Thursday’s row tri-set; I’d never tried anything quite like it before this evening, and it was quite tough. The Jerry Telle chest tri-set is tough too, but I’d tried it before so I knew what to expect. I’d say be conservative on the weights with both; as a point of reference (and bearing in mind that I’m very neurologically inefficient), I normally bench 95 lb. DBs and Bilateral Row 85 lb. DBs for 6 reps, while with these tri-sets using 45s for chest and 50s for back was quite challenging.

Zev - you are an evil man. What may look like it is deceptively simple, is not. My calves are still keeping me from walking normally due to the inclusion of the Pop Em Out routine.

Anyway, things are going well. I'm off to the gym in a few minutes to attempt to deadlift, but I'm not sure about doing any calf raises.

hey fellaz
i was just thinking of what my next phase was going to be and i am hapy to have found this thread,. first because it takes all the work away from me but also because it looks like a kick ass workout. so this week i start and i wil let ya’ll know. so rest periods again? and about how long did it take you(zev, jason, any one else) i just want to know and approx. thanks

jaytruly - rest periods: btwn legs on unliateral exercises - no rest; after smaller muscle group exercises (like most of monday’s workout) - 1 min; big muscle group exercises - 2 min

As for your other question, I'm not sure what your asking. Zev and I have been doing this for one week now, so we are just getting started. I've got phase 3 and just need to give Zev feedback before we post it and I'm still working on phase 4.

Each phase is designed to last 3 weeks. Let me know if that answers your questions.

Jaytruly, if you by “how long did it take you?” you intended to ask how long each individual workout lasts, mine have ranged from 35 minutes (Thursday’s workout) to 65 minutes (Monday’s workout). Note, though, that I am training with a partner, which slows things down a bit.