Brilliant John Stewart

I love this man!

He slaps ‘Crossfire’… on the show ‘Crossfire’!.
You HAVE TO check it out:

I’ve heard about this for a while, and have really wanted to see it. I guess I could have looked it up, but thanks for taking the time.

Those cats just didn’t get it. Never watched their show, but with one clip I can see clearly that Mr. Bowtie is titally guilty of all his alleged douchebaggery.

Were Stewart only half as great in reality as he and his fan boys thinks he is - he would be a genius.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Were Stewart only half as great in reality as he and his fan boys thinks he is - he would be a genius. \ [/quote]

Well, I don’t think Mr. Stewart takes himself as seriously as half of “mainstream” pop-media does. Clearly he tried to make that point. The disappointing thing is that I actually like Tucker Carleson and expected at least some fairness from him in that interview.

They invite a guest to share his opinion and then they don’t allow him share it–meanwhile, we get to hear all the great things “Crossfire” has done for humanity.

If anybody watches Stewart’s show they can see he makes fun of the media more than he makes fun of the politicians in the media. Now, I am not so blind that I cannot see the anti-Bush admin slant but I also see him dishing it to the dems as well–though, it is far easier to make fun of the people in power than those sitting on the sidelines.

The take home message should be that you shouldn’t take him seriously because he is there to entertain. His point was that mainstream news’ role is not to entertain but to hold our leaders to account and not be so sensationalistic about it. Clearly, The Daily Show is a parody of that sensationalism in the media.

I’m not a huge fan of “The Daily Show” but I did think that his arguments on Crossfire were compelling. The main thing that scares me is young people list The Daily Show as there main source of “news”. The Daily Show is parody and while parody has value it should not be confused with fact.

Not that the media truly deals with fact

La’
Redsol1

I think the crossfire guys should be put in a cage match against Hannity and Colmbs(sp?). To the death. Now that would be tv entertainment at it’s finest. Then, whoever won could be left in the cage anyway, just for fun.

Stewart is great. And he’s really not full of himself. Compare Stewart to Bill Maher who can also be funny and insightful but clearly has a chip on his shoulder and also has some very wacky, insane ideas. I have no doubt that Stewart isn’t a conservative, but he doesn’t make his politics explictly known like Maher. He makes fun of the Bush Administration because there’s a lot to make fun of. They’re the ones in office. And they’re made a lot of bad decisions.

He still dishes it out to the Democrats though. If they win the next presidential election, Stewart will surely make fun of all the inane stuff that they will inevitably do.

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
I’m not a huge fan of “The Daily Show” but I did think that his arguments on Crossfire were compelling. The main thing that scares me is young people list The Daily Show as there main source of “news”. The Daily Show is parody and while parody has value it should not be confused with fact.

Not that the media truly deals with fact

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

The Daily Show doesn’t do parody of actual events. The news on it IS real and as long as you can see what’s serious and what’s not (not very difficult), it’s a reliable source of news. Honestly, I find it more informative than a lot of news shows.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003571876

It looks like Daily Show viewers are more knowledgable than those who view Fox News.

Is anyone really surprised?

(Oh, if you watch the DS on a regular basis, you will find that they make fun of the stupid things all politicians say and do regardless of the political party they belong to.)

Crossfire, Hannity, and Imus pretend to be comedy and entertainment when they really strive to be political and meaningful. That’s why such a shitestorm erupts when they step in poo. The Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Howard Stern never pretend to be relevant. They clearly are satirists.

Isn’t his name Jon?

This is an old one, always good though. But Colbert last year was the nuke.

He’s no better than the other two, possibly worse.

I saw that clip awhile back. At the very least it’s ballsy.
He’s definitely a bright guy, and doesn’t talk down to people like a Maher or Hannity.

Reaching back a bit, have you guys seen this old clip of Mr. Frank Zappa on the same show? IMO, Zappa was brilliant – ESPECIALLY as a composer – but as a man as well.