T Nation

Brief Stint PT: 8/1

I’m not scheduled for tonight, but I’m here for a brief spell if you have any burning questions.

CW!

Is the best way to train sport skill to actually play the sport or do all these drills, e.g what football players perform, necessary?

Amir

How’s the book coming along CW? And the periodization article?

Waiting for some ground-breaking ideas man.

Amir

Chad,

Tomorrow is my 10x3 squat day on the WM. I’m in my last week and I swear that the muscles in my posterior chain, including hips, have either been tight or sore every damned day for the past 4 weeks since I started the program. Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE the program and have made very good gains. I’m just wondering if you have heard this before from other WM trainees. Thanks.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
I’m not scheduled for tonight, but I’m here for a brief spell if you have any burning questions.[/quote]

CW during a period of max strength as the main goal but still wanting your hypertrohpy would you advocate your 10x3 or 8x3 method? Knowing that volume is going to be the difference between strength and hypertrohpy, would those schemes be good for strength?

On a bench improving program would other chest work be needed or would you just say “flat bench 10x3, you’ll get stronger and bigger and thats all you need”?

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
CW!

Is the best way to train sport skill to actually play the sport or do all these drills, e.g what football players perform, necessary?

Amir[/quote]

I think so, unless your a pler or oler sports specfic happens on the field of play

I have done your WM progam and am almost finished with your TTT program. What would you recommend next?
goals: Size and strength

thanks

Just wanted to say thank you for some wonderful training programs and info!

Just finished SFM, and decided to go bananas before going on my vacation.

Did 33 on my pullups with my 5RM + 5 pounds, then continued with 32 and 2*1 with the same weight and finally went all out and did 7 reps to failure.

Pretty decent strenght-gain. :o)

No question here - I just want to thank you for the Set/Rep Bible article. It is the most down and dirty simple program building aid ever.

I’m into week 2 of your Waterbury Method. I know I need “Surge” after workouts - fine. Do you recommend the use of Surge after your GPP ASAP routine (which is my chosen “off-day” cardio workout)? I have a high-cholesterol past, and thus try to avoid insuin spikes if I don’t need them. I find your GPP intense (I love it!), but have no idea if it’s “catabolic” like the regular workouts are. What would you do, please?

I already notice a positive effect of your WM workout after just one week. You’ve saved me hours of time from doing my previous sub-optimal workouts, for which I’m very grateful, thanks!

Hey man. Appreciate the insight, but I asked Waterbury.

When a question is posted to one of the top coaches here on T-Nation, I like to hear everyones thoughts but only AFTER the mother-respose has been posted.

No harm done but you ruined my Waterbury-fetish there for a fe moments.

Amir

Hey Chad,

I emailed you a while back concerning one of your programs. My situation is somewhat unique, since my 5th and 6th cervical vertebrae are fused together. For me that means no high reps, usually above 6 causes me problems. You recommended following your “Waterbury Method,” which I plan to do, but I decided to work through Cressey and Robertson’s NNM workout to correct some imbalances.

My question for you is, in what order should I perform your routines? My goal is to get bigger and stronger, preferably bigger first. This way I’ll know what order to follow your routines. I really like all of your articles/programs, but I noticed that I can’t perform some of the set/rep schemes that you have outlined. Could you suggest an alternative set/rep scheme for me that will still yield maximum gains?

After coming up with an order of routines and adjusting some of the schemes, I’ll be set for a while.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Craig

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
CW!

Amir[/quote]

Yes, training the event is the best way to improve any skill. After all, the carry-over is perfectly correlated.

[quote]gottatrain wrote:
Chad,

Tomorrow is my 10x3 squat day on the WM. I’m in my last week and I swear that the muscles in my posterior chain, including hips, have either been tight or sore every damned day for the past 4 weeks since I started the program. Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE the program and have made very good gains. I’m just wondering if you have heard this before from other WM trainees. Thanks.[/quote]

You bet I’ve heard that! Keep at it, your work capacity will be enhanced, along with your recovery. Therefore, you’re setting your body up for some serious gains. Good work sticking to the program. It’s definitely challenging!

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
I’m not scheduled for tonight, but I’m here for a brief spell if you have any burning questions.

CW during a period of max strength as the main goal but still wanting your hypertrohpy would you advocate your 10x3 or 8x3 method? Knowing that volume is going to be the difference between strength and hypertrohpy, would those schemes be good for strength?

On a bench improving program would other chest work be needed or would you just say “flat bench 10x3, you’ll get stronger and bigger and thats all you need”?[/quote]

As I outlined in my Set/Rep Bible article, those are great parameters.

No, merely performing flat bench isn’t enough. You must thoroughly train your triceps, delts, and lats, also. Use the above parameters for each of the muscle groups listed.

[quote]jmn21 wrote:
I have done your WM progam and am almost finished with your TTT program. What would you recommend next?
goals: Size and strength

thanks[/quote]

Art of Waterbury

We’ll continue this tomorrow…

Art of Wterbury is the most fun I ahve had in the gym since working with Team Staley. If you try it, you’ll love it. You get challenged several different ways with a bunch of fun lifts.

CW, I am currently doing ABBH and about to start the 2nd half of it. I will start doing 10x3 of dips and chin ups. The pull up station in my gym is really weird so it makes it impossible to do chin ups on it. (before i was doing chin ups on one of those assisted machines so it wasnt a problem).

If I had to subsitute chin ups with something else, I have 3 options: 1. military style pullups, 2. neutral grip pull ups 3. pullups with the bar shaped like a triangle (so your hands are at a 45 degree angle). Which variation would you suggest?

[quote]Bijan1832 wrote:
CW, I am currently doing ABBH and about to start the 2nd half of it. I will start doing 10x3 of dips and chin ups. The pull up station in my gym is really weird so it makes it impossible to do chin ups on it. (before i was doing chin ups on one of those assisted machines so it wasnt a problem).

If I had to subsitute chin ups with something else, I have 3 options: 1. military style pullups, 2. neutral grip pull ups 3. pullups with the bar shaped like a triangle (so your hands are at a 45 degree angle). Which variation would you suggest?[/quote]

The station prevents you from gripping the way you want? A pull up and Chin up are virtually the same movement?? I’m a little cornfused…