Brief HIT Routine

Hello Dr. Darden.
Just wanted to get your input on a routine that I’ve been using, training in my garage with limited equipment. Once every 6 to 7 days, I do one set to failure of the following: Squats, DB Pullover, DB Lateral Raise, DB Bench Press (neutral grip), Barbell Row and One-Legged Calf Raise. Unfortunately, due to my current situation, I don’t get quite enough rest, so I tend to recover slowly. Any input that you would provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

At the end of your routine, I would add a barbell curl and a triceps extension with one dumbbell.

3 Likes

I did a very similar routine like this a couple of summers ago…adding the arm exercises as Dr. D suggested. I have a variety of equipment and created A and B routines alternating. I did well on it, but I also dialed back the intensity just a bit…to the point of stopping the exercise when I couldn’t control the movement as the muscle was fatigued and wobbled (instead of ‘cheating’ or using body sway to complete another rep or two). This preserved my recovery as I trained 2-3 days a week. I may revisit this again at some point in the future.

Thanks heavyhitter32. Maybe I’ll try the A/B approach and add a few more excercises, like stiff-legged deadlifts and military presses. I typically use a standard 2/4 rep cadence and just go to positive failure.

Thanks Dr. Darden. I’ll give it a try.