Brickhead: Question on Nutritional Career

this should be a Q & A sticky

do you find it beneficial to go beyond 1 g/lb with protein? Looking at my cheap protein powder (main source of protein) and its somewhat weak BCAA content, I wonder if I would be better off just adding in BCAAs rather than bumping up total protein intake.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
this should be a Q & A sticky

do you find it beneficial to go beyond 1 g/lb with protein? Looking at my cheap protein powder (main source of protein) and its somewhat weak BCAA content, I wonder if I would be better off just adding in BCAAs rather than bumping up total protein intake.[/quote]

For naturals on a maintenance or bulking diet, I believe 1 gram is fine. It’s when the person starts getting very lean and the diet becomes more calorically restricted that more protein can help.

Are you cutting now? Some people have found that BCAA’s help preserve muscle mass when on a severely restrictive diet.

I’m done cutting and am now seeing how well I can ride the line between maintenance and bulking. Maybe some intraworkout BCAAs could help next time I cut.

Brick:

What is your opinion on daily drinking (alcohol) and general health, workout performance and body comp.

BTW, I’m not looking for any justification in daily drinking, if anyone asks. I have an uncle recovering from alcoholism and am interested in this topic.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

You also have to stress to them that the more precise they are, the quicker and more dramatic their results will be and that the more lax they are, the slower and less dramatic their results will be. [/quote]

Common sense, but something to be emphasized that even lifters need to hear once in awhile. Good words and thanks for sharing all your opinions BrickHead.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Brick:

What is your opinion on daily drinking (alcohol) and general health, workout performance and body comp.

BTW, I’m not looking for any justification in daily drinking, if anyone asks. I have an uncle recovering from alcoholism and am interested in this topic.[/quote]

I have not looked into alcohol intake that much. Each gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. So if you fit in a drink or two per day in your non protein calories for the day, I can’t see much of a problem with body composition, though I can’t say with certainty that it would be OK to include alcohol on a serious and aggressive cut, like for a show perhaps, though I don’t think anyone ever bothered tinkering with alcohol in that kind of situation.

Alcohol abuse is a totally different story, which isn’t a drink or two a day.

If I recall correctly, Alan Aragon wrote an article on alcohol on here years ago. Martin Berkhan, Patron Saint of No Breakfast (I mean, fasting) has written on the topic too.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

You also have to stress to them that the more precise they are, the quicker and more dramatic their results will be and that the more lax they are, the slower and less dramatic their results will be. [/quote]

Common sense, but something to be emphasized that even lifters need to hear once in awhile. Good words and thanks for sharing all your opinions BrickHead.[/quote]

Thank you. I say that should be stressed because most ordinary people don’t to live like monks long term, but they might want to put in serious sacrifice in their initial weight loss, then take it a bit easier.

Good thread.

I have a question about nutritional support for high frequency training. For instance, if you were doing chins or dips three times a day for 3-4 set not to failure. Similar to the recent ‘chin up challenge’ article.

How would you recommend nutrition with this style of training. If ones goal is to build muscle size along with progressing in the exercise.

Thanks.

Keep in mind everything I say here are just intuitive statements or regurgitation, like every other guy who talks about training and nutrition.

I don’t read articles much anymore, but I am assuming your routine for dips and chins is one of those “grease the groove” programs to impove in a calisthenic exercise in which you perform sets of a calisthenic throughout the day and steer far clear of failure.

So, I really don’t have anything novel to offer that kind of program if size is your goal. Performing a calisthenic exercise while staying away from failure isn’t intensive exercise, so para-workout nutrition is not necessary for those mini-workouts. I suggest the same stuff I always suggest if size is a goal: set a baseline, consume adequate protein, and increase fat and/or carbs based on changes in your body composition and how you’re feeling and performing.

What is your perspective on Skiploading from a health, not effectiveness, level?

Also, not to thread jack, but my girl worked in corporate health promotion for a couple years. The in’s were:
-math: actuaries, statisticians, and database guys that actually crunch the numbers to find what’s effective, what is needed, and what sells
-sales: good looking people with master’s degrees (mostly online, because the corporation paid for it) for credibility and sales skills to get the programs to the clients. Many of these folks also taught aerobics for the headquarters gym (which did not have a squat rack).
-consultants: usually brought in to either help crunch the numbers, design a program, or implement it. Some of these folks became permanent, but most would just come in to do the heavy lifting of program design and implementation and then move on.
-health promotion: these were actually the minority and many functioned as some sort of coordinator or administrative position.

But really, the largest avenue was sales.

If I recall correctly–I might have it wrong–Skiploading is similar to Scott Abel’s Cycle Diet whereby you have some restrictive diet during weekdays and then in some designated time frame, one carbs up with high GI, lowfat foods. I can’t see this as unhealthy. I’m not some militant, anti-sugar, anti-HFCS, anti-whatever RD. I judge a diet as a WHOLE to be good or bad.

Also, I believe being lean as more important than so many other things for being healthy, more important than food choices, in some cases, I believe.