Brian14's Rippetoe Log

Hello, I’m 14 and have been working out for the past 2 years on and off. I have mostly focused on upper body and bench stuff and have only squatted and deadlifted like 2 times in my life just screwing around.

I’ve done a lot of research and I think Starting Strength is a great program for me. I’ve already researched form and stuff but theres always room for improvement. My stats are:

Height:6’
Weight:150
Bench:210
Squat:165
Deadlift:245
Military: 125
Cable Row: 165x5

Goals:
Get body weight up 10-20lbs by August 17(this is when football practice starts and I will stop doing the program.)
Get bench to over 240
Get squat to over 250
Get deadlift to over 325

Todays workout 6/27

Squat
125x3x5
These felt good and easy, went light because it’s the first workout.

Bench
155x3x5
Felt good and light.

Deadlift
190x3x5
These were hard but deadlifts are always hard. I think I might have been using a little too much back because my knees would lock out when the weight was only about 4-5 inches or so off the ground.

Great workout and really fun.

Had to skip the last workout because I had to workout w/ my lacrosse team that day and it was really draining cause the stupid coaches made us do a full body workout with like 15 second rest between sets.

Todays Workout

Squat 135x3x5

Military Press 95x3x5

Cable Row 140x3x5
The thing is with these cable rows the machines go up by 20 lb increments, and I wont be able to progress for long. I know I should be doing barbell rows but my form really sucks on these cause my middle back always bends really bad whenever I go slightly heavy. Anyone have any tips to help this?

Squat

140x3x5 PR!
These actually felt pretty easy.

Bench

155x3x5
These were harder than they should be.

Dips

BW + 20lbs 2 setsx5
Decided to add these in because I’ve never done weighted dips before. I think it’ll help my bench significantly. I’ll try to up the weight 2.5lbs every workout with these. I’ll do weighted pullups in my other workout.

Deadlift

195x3x5 PR!
Hard but not too bad. When I focused on pushing my heels into the floor rather than just pulling the weight up it got a hell of a lot easier.

Looks like your off to a great start. I was the same way, had a higher bench then squat when I started, dont sweat it, youll be in the mid 200’s in no time. Good luck.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Looks like your off to a great start. I was the same way, had a higher bench then squat when I started, dont sweat it, youll be in the mid 200’s in no time. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks man. Yeah I definitely gotta get my squat up but it’s moving along nicely so far.

Todays Workout

Squat

145x3x5 PR!
These felt quite easy again. I think once I hit 150 I might start upping the weight 10 lbs a workout.

Standing Shoulder Press

100x3x5
Pretty hard actually. I used to do standing dumbell shoulder press once a week, and I could get 8 reps w/ my right arm and only 5 reps w/ my left arm w/ a 50 lb dumbell. So I gotta try to balance this out eventually.

Barbell Row

120x3x5
Form still needs some work with these. The actual row was pretty easy but it was hard to keep my back straight. I’ll work on it.

Weighted Pull up

BW + 25lbs 2x5

Power Clean

65x1x5
These were really light just tryin get to get the form down.

My thighs have already grown an inch since the start of the program. Haven’t gained any weight though

Todays Workout

Bench (Had to do these first because the squat rack was taken. No big deal.)

160x3x5
Felt just right.

Squat

150x3x5 PR!
Definitely gettin stronger with these cause the warm up with 135 felt like just the bar to me.(135 was challenging just a week ago)

Deadlift

200x1x5
Might have been a little too much rounding with this. I’ll have to video tape it sometime.

Dips

BW + 22.5 2x5

Todays Workout

Squats
155x3x5 PR!
These were challenging today. Gonna keep increasing w/ 5lb increment for more gains in the long run.

Standing Shoulder Press
105x5
105x4.5
100x5
These were tough to do after squats. I didn’t feel the greatest today due to a lack of sleep yesterday. I’ll keep the weight at 105 for next workout.

Barbell Row
125x3x5
Form has definitely improved on these.

Weighted Pullup
27.5x2x5
Felt easier than last time I did them with 25lbs.

Power Clean
95x1x5
Had trouble with the 2nd pull and the racking position which is weird because I’ve done them fairly easily with 120lbs before. Maybe just cuz it was the end of the workout and I was tired.

Todays Workout

Bench
160x3x5

Squats
160x3x5
These were tough.

Weighted Dips
BW + 25lbs 2x5
I’m progressing well on these.

Deadlift
205x1x5
These were really hard as always however I feel like I could probably do 10 reps with this weight if I really pushed myself.

These were all pr’s except for the bench.(For some reason the new gym I’m working out at the bar feels thicker and heavier than any other olympic bar I’ve ever used before. It probably weighs 50 even though I’m counting it as 45) Pretty much from now on all my lifts will be pr’s.

Some pics are coming later…

front

back double bi

front leg

side leg

Feel free to comment on anything.

Had to skip my thursday workout because I had a stomach bug and I threw up a couple times that day.

Yesterdays Workout

Standing Shoulder Press ( I like doing these first because my arms and shoulders get slightly fatigued doing squats before these.)
105x3x5
Glad that I completed these with 105 this time.

Squats
165x3x5
So I repped my old max! Pumped about the progress I’m making!

Barbell Row
130x3x5
Form has gotten better and these felt easy.

Weighted Pullups
BW + 30lbs 2x5
Gettin stronger every time.

Power Cleans
80x1x5
Decided to bump the weight down to make sure form was good.

Todays Workout

Squats
170x3x5
So I officially squatted more than I benched today.

Bench
165x3x5

Deadlift
210x1x5
Did touch and go with these today. I think it made it feel a lot easier. My form was still good on all the reps too.

Weighted Dips
BW+27.5x2x5

Todays Workout

Standing Barbell Press
105x3x5
Easier than last time.

Squats
175x3x5
They were hard.

Barbell Row
135x3x5
Easy

Weighted Pullups (These are wide grip BTW)
BW+32.5 x2x5

Power Clean
85x3x5
I didnt realize you were supposed to do 3 sets until now. These felt easy.