Bret C's 120 Trainer Tips Angering Women

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
About the stereotypes, I’m sure most men don’t like being thought of as nonverbal, emotionally limited sex machines who are prone to violence and probably potential child molesters. [/quote]
Actually that sounds awesome. Except for the child molester part. I’m not into kids. The rest of it sounds badass though.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

…Why won’t men never feel offended by some list like “male training observation tidbits”?

again, kickass list.

[/quote]

Maybe it goes back to the fact that it’s only socially acceptable to make black jokes if you are actually black. Maybe he would be ok making bro jokes since he’s a bro. I’ve tried to picture his blog post with Rachel Cosgrove’s name and picture on the top as author and I can’t. It’s not that women don’t laugh at themselves, but there’s too much that sounds demeaning there.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I don’t know Brett Contreras and am not familiar with his sense of humor. I assume he was trying to be funny. He succeeded some of the time. A lot of humor is misinterpreted on the internet. Sarcasm for sure.

I read it and I can see why some people really didn’t like it. My question is, what if a woman wrote a similar article about men, how would most guys react?

I think some of what he said was stupid. But what’s cracking me up is some of the stuff they’re attacking is just factually accurate; sexual dimorphism is a thing in our species folks. Commenting on how he thinks women’s grunts sound inherently sexual? Yeah that’s fair game (I make some of the same noises lifting as having sex too). Making snarky comments about the testosterone difference or the difference in flexibility or pelvic position? Well, go complain to evolution.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
nonverbal, emotionally limited sex machines who are prone to violence and probably potential child molesters. [/quote]

Statistically this would be true (compared to women). Though a few of them are not even close to the majority of men, men would encompass those stereotypes over women.

Except for the last one, I don’t see an issue with any of the labels (personally).

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
I read it and I can see why some people really didn’t like it. My question is, what if a woman wrote a similar article about men, how would most guys react? [/quote]

Laugh and then go get margarita since it is Margarita Day.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
I read it and I can see why some people really didn’t like it. My question is, what if a woman wrote a similar article about men, how would most guys react? [/quote]
I’d probably think it was fantastic. There are so many things to make fun of too. The virtual board presses who have a spotter lifting the weight off of them every rep, half squatters, spring break muscle only guys, etc.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
People need to lighten the fuck up. Too many easily offended people clucking their way through life, feathers always ruffled, skin oh so thin.[/quote]

exactly

It didn’t come off as if the point was to be offensive, ?Women sometimes twist compliments into insults, and they?re more sensitive to criticism than men.? fits it perfectly.

I have a feeling "Certain female sexual positions might contribute to women possessing good hip mobility and pelvic control (ex: ones that have the woman in a deep squat position, ones that have the woman in a bridge position, ones that have the woman rocking their hips back and forth, etc.)? is a part of the feather rustling of the feminists posting. That, and gasp having the nerve to mention all of those biological differences such as testosterone level, growth hormone, structural differences.

Maybe some people were also posting during that time of the month…

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
About the stereotypes, I’m sure most men don’t like being thought of as nonverbal, emotionally limited sex machines who are prone to violence and probably potential child molesters. [/quote]
Actually that sounds awesome. Except for the child molester part. I’m not into kids. The rest of it sounds badass though.[/quote]

LOL! And Dammit! Stop taking my insults as compliments.

Note to self. Next time put insults in SHOUTY CAPS so csulli will know that he should have his feelings hurt, or at least feel defensive.

If you read this and don’t understand why a woman might get offended I think you’re being willfully dense. It was obvious to me that he needed some filler to make it an even 120, so he included a bunch of “duh” tips in addition to some stuff that any dolt would know would ruffle some feathers. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but again, this isn’t exactly the best flag to rally behind, either.

There is something about “people are not defined by gender” (not even when it comes to strength traing? Really?) while at the same time bitching like a little girl that instills a sense of cognitive vertigo.

The Jezebel article is bookmarked, if I find a long enough rope I need to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes in the comment section.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Actually that sounds awesome. Except for the child molester part. I’m not into kids. The rest of it sounds badass though.[/quote]

Note to self. Next time put insults in SHOUTY CAPS so csulli will know that he should have his feelings hurt, or at least feel defensive. [/quote]

I have a question.

Like a serious and honest one.

Do you constantly fear “being judged” at a gym?

Because I dont feel that and by the sheer amount of old dudes who blowdry their nutsack in the locker room, most other men dont either.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

…he probably thinks I’m a drama queen, who doesn’t like facts much, is overly emotional…you get the idea. [/quote]

You’re missing the same point so many others have. He didn’t say “you” do these things. He said many of his clients do. Are you one of his clients?[/quote]

He called his article 120 Strength Training Tips for Women.

And what you said earlier about there being lots of man bashing out there is true. There are lots of blogs and articles where women are bashing men, and many of them seem pretty blind to the fact that respect is a two way street. Still, last time I asked my mom, the “everybody’s doing it” excuse didn’t get me very far. :wink:

Honestly, I think this is a matter of writing something for a particular audience, then realizing this is the internet so your audience is everybody. AND he’s writing something in an area where he is a professional so people expect a higher level of awareness and civility.

Would his article stop me from hiring him to help me fix my squat? Nope. BUT it’s a shame that so much good information got lost in all the silliness.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I just posted this comment on his site:

The PC backlash in the comments is comical and reinforces many stereotypes that the women who are making them so avidly abhor.

Bret, you did a great job here. There was good, useful information and it was spiced with truly entertaining observations that were not misogynistic in any way.

Keep it up![/quote]
You have the dumb. This has no educational value.[/quote]

You have the whine. I wasn’t trying to add any educational value.[/quote]

That was a response from the website by a woman that goes by “Karen.” He was making a joke.

I wonder how many people actually read the first paragraph. This wasn’t an article designed FOR women. It was an article designed for trainers and coaches that have female clients. It’s not that he went up to a woman and told her that every single one of these things is true about her. He was informing other trainers and coaches to be aware of differences (and similarities) between men and women.

If a women wrote an article about training men, it would probably contain a lot of the comparisons that are in this article, but the fact remains that most trainers and coaches already know how to train men because they are the largest percentage of gym goers.

Granted, as people take the internet very seriously for some reason, he probably should have made that paragraph in bold, in rainbow colors, and in between every single point, but otherwise, it was fine.

Now, if this was an article stating all the stereotypes of women that go to the gym, such as the video posted previously in this thread, then this would be a different story, but the fact remains that Bret wrote about observations that he gained through specifically training his female clients. Now, instead of berating Bret for his observations, maybe fixing the stereotypes (the few that were in that list)from the source might be better. It’s basically like complaining that the government spends too much money on welfare and then collecting a tax refund check.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

Note to self. Next time put insults in SHOUTY CAPS so csulli will know that he should have his feelings hurt, or at least feel defensive. [/quote]

I have a question.

Like a serious and honest one.

Do you constantly fear “being judged” at a gym?

…[/quote]

Mostly I’m too busy judging other people to wonder if they are judging me. :slight_smile:

Kidding.

I’m not sure what you mean by “being judged” at the gym? It’s not something I think about. I felt a little nervous when I first started lifting, but that was because it was all new.

I’ve never had anybody say anything rude to me at the gym. Most people are so busy doing their own thing, I don’t think they are paying much attention beyond saying “Good Morning” and such. Of people who do talk to me at the gym, they have been nice. I tend to assume good will.