T Nation

Brendan's Training Log

Hey guys, if it's OK. I'd like to start my journal here. My name is Brendan Ryan. I'm 17 years old. I have been training for 3 years (about 1 correctly). And I plan on starting this journal with Chad Waterbury's BBB. Then I might move on to ABBH. We'll see.

My stats as of 11/27/05
-Calves 14.5in
-Arms 12.5in cold
-Waist 29.5in
-Quads 21in
-Chest 35in
-Neck 13in
-Weight 153.5lbs
-Bodyfat 8.5%

Also, after reading Dan John's "Goal Setting for Hardasses" (great article, great writer), it inspired me to up the ante and do the following:

My short-term goal is to pack on as much quality muscle as possible. My long-term goal is to compete in bodybuilding by the end of 2006.

For my short term goal, I will post up a before picture of myself and, by the end of June, post an after picture. If I fail to do so I ask you all to bump and humiliate me until I do.

For my long term goal, if I do not compete in a show by next year, I will quit bodybuilding (this may be a bit extreme-I'm open to suggestions for motivation)

My BBB program starts tomorrow and I will post of the before pic (taken today, 11/27/05) by Friday. I will also include my diet.

Sounds good should be interesting.

Well, it looks like you are definitley approaching this smartly. It's a great idea to have before measurments and pictures. I personally think that's a better way to track progress than taking BF% or weighing yourself.

Having short and long-term goals is also a great idea, so keep them challanging and keep making new ones.

I never tried Chad's BBB, but the ABBH worked out great for me. I think either of those programs will be a good start.

What about your nutrition? Have you ever had, or do you currently have a food log to track your food and calories? They can become a pain after a while, but can be very beneficial in the beggining.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't let anything or anyone stop your motivation.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate it.

Here is my "goal sheet". It's a text document that I set as my homepage and I read through it everyday before I start my day.

EAT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT WITH 2 RULES:
1.RECORD IT ALL
2.ADHERE TO TEMPORAL NUTRITION
work on retracting delts for posture next
work on glutes next
RECORD RECOVERY DATA NOW

Goals for this blast:
I MUST get to 165lbs with same BF by February 1st
I MUST maintain perfect form on everything
I MUST spend less time in the gym (no more than 1 hour) EVERYTIME
I MUST do less cardio
I MUST get 205 for 10 squats by the end of BBB
I MUST get to 100lbs DBs for rows by the end of BBB
I MUST eat more P+F meals
I MUST do 3 GPP/Cardio days per week with NO long distance running
I MUST keep it SIMPLE (not easy)
I MUST have no worries for PPWO except for cardio

Fat is expendable.
I am a human blast furnace.
Everyday is a clean slate- a new oppurtunity.
I am still too small.
MY MIND IS MY ALLIE THAT WILL HELP ME ACHIVE MY GOALS. I WORK WITH IT NOT AGAINST IT.
I am awake in this moment.
I tell everyone my goals proudly.
I'm getting more metabolically expnsensive everyday.
I get more muscular every day.
They're all watching you.
I love eating healthy foods.
I love working out with high intensity.
I love drinking water all day.
I love stretching and staying limber.
I visualize my future body everday.
My thoughts are just thoughts. MAKE IT HAPPEN BABY!

I actually have been keeping a food log and I will be posting it here starting tomorrow. In fact, when I weighed in this morning, I found that I was actually down 1.5lbs from my last weigh in (I do it every 2 weeks). So, I looked over my food log from another site and looked at my calories (I just logged the macros and enver bothered adding them up). I found that I wasn't eating what I thought I was -especially on the off days. Here's what I found:

11/14 3173
11/15 3152
11/16 3104
11/17 2974
11/18 3079
11/19 NA (forgot to add a meal)
11/20 2730
11/21 3056
11/22 2990
11/23 2983
11/24 3054
11/25 2847
11/26 2797

Average: ~2765kcal per day

I need to get the average to AT LEAST 3000kcal per day. I'm not sure how much more than that I need in order to gain. I should probably just eat everything in sight.

By the way guys, I really appreciate the positive feedback. I was hesitant to post a journal here as there are none to speak of.

It's funny you should say that. I found that 2700-3000 calories were the amount that I was able to maintain a bodyweight of 175lbs (2700 on 'off' days and 3000 on workout days).

Hey bro Id say the folowing really dont work with one another AT ALL. Might rethink one or the other.

On this next one. Id say ASAP find the contest you want to compete in, sign up, and PAY!!!! This will help assure you will do it and be added inspiration. It will also have a set goal for the exact weight class. etc.

Keep it up

November 28th, 2005

Phil, why don't you think those two goals go together? Are you alluding to the bodyfat?

Training: BBB

5 minute warmup

-Flat BB Bench Press 8 x 3 @ 160lbs with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

-Hammer Strength Seated Rows 8 x 3 @ 160lbs with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

-Pull-Ups 8 x 3 @ Bodayweight with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

-Standing DB Shoulder Presses 8 x 3 @ 45lbs DBs with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

Duration: 55 minutes (one of my goals to keep it under an hour)

About 20 minutes of ab and posture work at home.

Diet:

P+C
-Egg Whites 50/0/0
-Oatmeal w/ Cinnamon 7/50/5
-Apple 0/17/0
-Fiber Cake 5/22/1.5
-Green Tea 0/0/0
-St. John's Wort
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Multi

P+F
-Designer Whey Shake 36/4/3
-Natural PB and Celery Sticks 7/5/14
-3 Fish Oils 0/0/3
-St. John's Wort

P+C
-Chicken Tenderloins 50/0/1
-1 Cup Brow Rice 4/56/1
-FF Cottage Cheese 22/14/0
-Broccoli 3/4/0
-B Vitamin
-St. John's Wort
-200mg ALA

-1 Serving Xpand during workout 0/0/0

P+C
-1 Serving Surge 25/49/1.5

P+C
-Chicken 36/0/2
-1 cup Brow Rice 4/60/1
-Mixed Veggies 6/9/0
-2 Fiber Cakes 10/44/3
-Egg Beaters 12/2/0
-Fish Oil 0/0/1
-Soy Sauce 1/0/0
-FF Cream Cheese 35/7/0
-Instant Oatmeal 7/29/3
-Green Tea 0/0/0
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Potassium
-Calcium
-300mg ALA
-Chromium
-Vitamin C
(literally ate as much as possible PPWO)

P+F
-Pure Protein RTD 35/2/1
-3 Fish Oils 0/0/3

Comments:
It was extremely weird for me NOT to train to failure. It was the first time in God only knows how long. I do feel like I could do more and I've read that that's what I should expect. Today was my first time using Surge as well. It tastes amazing and mixes better than any powder I've ever used. We'll have to see how effective it is :slight_smile:

I feel like I could have done more wiehgt on the pull ups and the standing DB presses. The reason I went with bodyweight for the pull-ups was because I have a 5RM on wide grip and I figured 8 sets of medium grip would get me close to failure.

How much should I up it next time? I was thinking 5lbs. As for the shoulder presses, getting the weight up is the culprit. I just started cleaning the 45s up off the floor. I feel I can probably sucessfully complete the 8 x 3 with 60lbs. Should I go for it next time?

BTW I will be posting my "Before" pictures tomorrow. i sent them in to get developed today (it's on one of those kodak cameras that gives you a CD)

yes that thier is NO way you can put ont he maximum amount of muscle and worry about keeping body fat low. Not that you cant add some muscle just not the LARGE amount you elude to without adding BF.

Hey, couple things I noticed -

You may want to get rid of the P+C in the morning and stack all your carbs PWO. See Lowery vs. Berardi.

In addition, if you're serious about recovery and size growth, I'd add in some more sugary carbs. Either have two servings of Surge - one during, one after - or have your serving of Surge during and eat Rice Chex and protein PWO if you want to save money. Otherwise lookin solid.

Just an addenum - that would be my suggestion is to stack your P+C in the 6 hours after you workout. This will let you reduce carbs during the rest of the day where they aren't being used as efficiently. It'll also help with general body comp concerns.

Hey, Ani. :slight_smile: No over-analysing, ok? Your gonna rip this shit to pieces.

PS: Inside joke. :stuck_out_tongue:

November 29th, 2005

You're right Phil, I'll delete that keeping the BF in check from my goal sheet.

I've been looking into taking Surge about halfway through my workout and then the remainder afterwards. One of my goals is to eat more P+F meals. I will to so tomorrow.(My cardio day)

BRICKED! What's up man! Welcome to T-Nation.

Training: BBB

-BB Squats 3 x 8 @ 175lbs with 90 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

-Leg Raises 3 x 8 @ 15lbs DB with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

-DB Deadlifts 3 x 8 @ 85lbs DBs with 90 second rest intrevals. Completed sucessfully.

-Decline Bench Sit-Ups 3 x 8 @ 25lbs plate with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

-Standing Calf Raises 3 x 8 @ 345lbs with 60 second rest intrevals. Completed successfully.

Duration: 35 minutes (success in itself for me)

Diet:

P+C
-Egg Whites 50/0/0
-Oatmeal w/ Cinnamon 7/50/5
-Apple 0/17/0
-Fiber Cake 5/22/1.5
-Green Tea 0/0/0
-St. John's Wort
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Multi

P+F
-Designer Whey Shake 36/4/3
-Natural PB and Celery Sticks 7/5/14
-3 Fish Oils 0/0/3
-St. John's Wort

P+C
-Chicken Tenderloins 50/0/1
-1 Cup Brow Rice 4/56/1
-FF Cottage Cheese 22/14/0
-Broccoli 3/4/0
-B Vitamin
-St. John's Wort
-200mg ALA

P+C
-1 Serving Surge 25/49/1.5

P+C
-Chicken 36/0/2
-1 cup Brow Rice 4/60/1
-Mixed Veggies 6/9/0
-2 Fiber Cakes 10/44/3
-Egg Beaters 12/2/0
-Fish Oil 0/0/1
-Soy Sauce 1/0/0
-FF Cream Cheese 35/7/0
-Instant Oatmeal 7/29/3
-Green Tea 0/0/0
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Potassium
-Calcium
-300mg ALA
-Chromium
-Vitamin C

P+F
-Pure Protein RTD 35/2/1
-3 Fish Oils 0/0/3

Comments:
35 minutes is my shortest workout ever. I was definitely harder than yesterday though. The deadlifts and squats kicked my ass. I'm also not using belts or straps anymore. I feel great. I love this program. I probably could've used more weight for the sit ups though.

I will post up my before pictures later tonight when I figure out hopw to do it. I need to eat :slightly_smiling:

Front relaxed

back double bi

crappy most muscular

front double bi

legs

side triceps

side chest