T Nation

Breathing

My friend told me that if i do not breathe properly…that one of my organs could be damaged…how do you breathe properly when you lift?..and do you use your nose or your mouth and when do i breath when i lift pls help!

i hold my breath during all of my big lifts. so sometimes when i squat, i’ll just pass out and the weights crush me. you should try it.

[quote]itsthenickman wrote:
i hold my breath during all of my big lifts. so sometimes when i squat, i’ll just pass out and the weights crush me. you should try it. [/quote]

lol

LOL , nice man…

no really im a noob but i was told breathe in when you lift and breathe out when you let it go… dont matter if you breathe with your mouth or your nose… same difference… newayZ, this is what i was told… im not 100% sure…

See what works for you? It depends on the exercise and amount of weight used. For squats, for example, I usually hold my breath on the way down and grunt it out on the way up. For deadlifts, I set up, inhale deeply, and grunt it out on the way up.

Test different breathing patterns for different exercises to see what’s comfortable. And frankly, sometimes it just doesn’t matter.

And don’t worry about damaging organs either. You’ll pass out long before that. Unless you have a preexisting condition, in which case you’re pretty much screwed anyway (go see a doctor).

Exactly its good to have a deep breath for core bracing etc. But in the end let it be natural. if you lift and push hard you will breath or not as your body thinks it needs to.

You must reduce the weight training heavy weights will make you bulky and manly anyway, try doing minimal weight and focusing on squeecing at the top and doing it slow for 50 reps and you should be able to breathe

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
You must reduce the weight training heavy weights will make you bulky and manly anyway, try doing minimal weight and focusing on squeecing at the top and doing it slow for 50 reps and you should be able to breathe[/quote]

LOL!!!

As others have said, for a squat or deadlift many people will hold their breath at the bottom of the lift in order to brace their midsection (yes, I’m tired of the word core).

So, for the squat, I’m breathing in at the top and bracing up as I decend. When I’m back up to a point where I don’t have to brace, I’ll start breathing out because I need air.

In general, I find for most lifts I’m breathing in as I “pull” the weight “toward me” and out in the other direction, but maybe delayed until past whatever sticking point there may be.

That’s the way it seems to work for me anyway. It shouldn’t be something you have to think about, but sometimes as a beginner there can be a tendency to hold the breath entirely, which you won’t want to do.