Breathing with a Belt

I’ve recently started using a belt for my heavier squats and DL’s, and I’m having some trouble with the breathing part. I breathe into my belly before a lift, and it’s pretty much impossible to get a big breath with a belt on. If I take the biggest breath I can (chest and belly), I feel like my head is going to explode when I start the lift.

Do I just breathe into my belly as much as the belt will allow? Tighten the belt as much as I can and breathe into my chest? Somebody help me out here.

ummm. You might have the belt too tight. You should be able to take a huge breath and push your abs out into the belt. I usually put my belt on tight, and then loosen it one hole. This will allow me to push my abs out against it. It may take some practice. When you are warming up, after a few lighter sets, go to the belt.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I’ve recently started using a belt for my heavier squats and DL’s, and I’m having some trouble with the breathing part. I breathe into my belly before a lift, and it’s pretty much impossible to get a big breath with a belt on. If I take the biggest breath I can (chest and belly), I feel like my head is going to explode when I start the lift.

Do I just breathe into my belly as much as the belt will allow? Tighten the belt as much as I can and breathe into my chest? Somebody help me out here.[/quote]

I just take the biggest breath I can on squats. I don’t use my belt on deadlifts bc it feels like my face is going to explode lol.

[quote]dankid wrote:
ummm. You might have the belt too tight. You should be able to take a huge breath and push your abs out into the belt. I usually put my belt on tight, and then loosen it one hole. This will allow me to push my abs out against it. It may take some practice. When you are warming up, after a few lighter sets, go to the belt.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried it that way, and it doesn’t work so good for me. I take a big breath, push my abs against the belt, and then when I start to lift, I guess my whole mid-section tightens up really hard and the belt drops to my hips. No tension at all.

I do like the fact that the belt seems to keep me in the groove better on heavy lifts. I guess I’m just going to have to get used to taking a shallower breath.

[quote]elano wrote:

I just take the biggest breath I can on squats. I don’t use my belt on deadlifts bc it feels like my face is going to explode lol.[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. DL’s are the reason I started using a belt, though. On heavy attempts with a weight I know I have the strength to lift, I would feel my back start to give and I’d bail. I put on a belt, and pulled it right up. (well, not rightup, but you know what I mean).

I also felt my lower back working harder, but not straining. Doesn’t make any sense to me, but it doesn’t have to. Works better, stronger, more stable.

I’m just trying to get the finer points of it down. I know this is an idiotic newb question for a lot of you guys (as evident by the 99 views and only 2 replies), and I appreciate the help.

You know, I find it interesting that my connection can be perfect right up until a new post goes through. Then my connection goes to shit, I get the ‘try again’ button, and when I hit it, I double post.

But damn. Would you look at that post count.

A real big breath into your belly should have you feeling like you’re going to explode once you start going down to start the lift. It’ll be worse if you’ve got a thick midsection or can take a lot of air in (like give yourself a pregnant belly), as the belt will be pushing into you more.
If, however, you can’t physically take in enough air with the belt on then I’d say it’s too tight.

Sounds just like you have it too tight,once you start the lift your stomach will stick out and your not giving it any room to do so or are you?
is it effecting the amount of weight your pulling?

[quote]smokotime wrote:
A real big breath into your belly should have you feeling like you’re going to explode once you start going down to start the lift. It’ll be worse if you’ve got a thick midsection or can take a lot of air in (like give yourself a pregnant belly), as the belt will be pushing into you more.
If, however, you can’t physically take in enough air with the belt on then I’d say it’s too tight.[/quote]

This is why you’ll see powerlifters with blown blood vessels in their eyes, bloody noses, and red spots on their face after they lift. The increase in intra-cranial pressure is significant when straining against a closed glottis (Valsalva Maneuver) with your thoracic cavity full of air. This feeling that you’re going to explode means that you’re doing it right. You’ll get used to it eventually.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Do I just breathe into my belly as much as the belt will allow? Tighten the belt as much as I can and breathe into my chest? Somebody help me out here.[/quote]

You think that’s bad try doing deads in a DL SUIT.

I’d put the belt on so that it’s kind of loose when just standing there. When you take a huge breath the belt should be tight. When you go down to the start position it will get tighter. This big air IN YOUR BELLY- not your chest- will help you get some “pop” off the floor. If you can’t take the pressure you can let a little air out.

This technique works well for squats but not so much for deads.Having the bar on your back gives the movement different mechanics and requires a different set up for core stability due to the compression of the spine.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
smokotime wrote:
If, however, you can’t physically take in enough air with the belt on then I’d say it’s too tight.

This is why you’ll see powerlifters with blown blood vessels in their eyes, bloody noses, and red spots on their face after they lift. The increase in intra-cranial pressure is significant when straining against a closed glottis (Valsalva Maneuver) with your thoracic cavity full of air. This feeling that you’re going to explode means that you’re doing it right. You’ll get used to it eventually.[/quote]

I don’t have an overly thick middle, but my lungs have been measured at almost 7 liters, so I guess that may have something to do with it.

Best I have gotten it so far was by doing what I’ve heard of as the ‘Cressey salute’. Arms straight out, back arched, big breath, then reach for the bar. I guess it sorta limited the amount of air I could take in.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

You think that’s bad try doing deads in a DL SUIT. [/quote]

Can’t imagine. This is the first piece of ‘gear’ I’ve tried.

I’ll give it a go.

[quote]ummm. You might have the belt too tight. You should be able to take a huge breath and push your abs out into the belt. I usually put my belt on tight, and then loosen it one hole. This will allow me to push my abs out against it. It may take some practice. When you are warming up, after a few lighter sets, go to the belt.

This technique works well for squats but not so much for deads.Having the bar on your back gives the movement different mechanics and requires a different set up for core stability due to the compression of the spine.

[/quote]

Yeah, squats felt great with the belt on. Felt like it was forcing me to stay tighter in the groove.

When you said the belt fell to your hips it sounds like the belt is too loose or you are taking a big breath of air and then tightening your stomach back in.

Basically you are breathing into your stomach, and then you are going back to making your girth small by tensing your stomach instead of pushing it out.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
smokotime wrote:

This is why you’ll see powerlifters with blown blood vessels in their eyes, bloody noses, and red spots on their face after they lift. The increase in intra-cranial pressure is significant when straining against a closed glottis (Valsalva Maneuver) with your thoracic cavity full of air. This feeling that you’re going to explode means that you’re doing it right. You’ll get used to it eventually.[/quote]

See, e.g.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
See, e.g.[/quote]

Pussy.

I’ll take that to mean “quit bitching and get it done”.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
See, e.g.

Pussy.[/quote]

You are what you eat. I got one of those along with my exertion rash, but didn’t realize it until later.

the belt shouldn’t be tight before you take air, once you suck it in and push your stomach out it should then be tight.