T Nation

Breathing Squats.

I have read a lot about the benefits of doing twenty rep squats and was wondering if these could be done as Front Squats and not just Back Squats? Also can this method be extended to further exercises like Bench Press, Bent Over Rows and push Presses?

No, that’s impossible. You might explode, or something worse could happen.

Just read the articles and precisely apply the information therein. Don’t deviate or experiment or look for other methods that might work better for you – that’s how trouble gets started.

As far as front squats, I don’t know if the wrists and/or shoulders could bear the load that long. Maybe the shoulders if you hold the bar crossed-arm style, but I would think even they would give out with any appreciable load. If they’re not giving out, you’re probably selling yourself short and not going heavy enough.

I suppose you could do other lifts as 20 rep sets, but most wouldn’t quite be the same. With squats, you are supposed to use a load that causes you to fail around rep 10. And you are supposed to take “breathing” time in between reps to stretch it out to 20 reps without putting the bar down. You can do this with squats because you can stand there all day with a 10RM load on your back. It’s hard to convert this to other movements.

Deadlifts – the bar gets put down. Bench – you will have to breath with either the bar extended or on your chest. Rows – what do you do with the bar? See the trend? The only exercises that this works well with are where the bar is on your back.

I suppose you could GM’s, lunges, or step-ups, but I would be very too nervous or an injury when fatigue sets in and I push for the last couple reps.

Of course, if you just want to do some 20 rep sets, knock yourself out. You can do that with anything.

Get a Manta Ray (or Sting Ray). The 20 reppers are bad enough what with the weight on your back for so long. There’s no reason to not try and make it more tollerable. Who knows, those items may allow you to use more weight than you would otherwise.

Just get your traps jacked and you won’t have a problem with resting the weight on your back.

You could use wrist straps and wrap them around the bar and grab those.

Also, I find that its MUCH harder to breathe during front squats than in back squats, so- have fun with that. Breathing is a big part of this program- as you might know.

Why rely on crutches to lift the weight. Increase your grip strength so you can do it yourself.

[quote]derek wrote:
Get a Manta Ray (or Sting Ray). The 20 reppers are bad enough what with the weight on your back for so long. There’s no reason to not try and make it more tollerable. Who knows, those items may allow you to use more weight than you would otherwise.[/quote]

If you have developed traps these dig in like a fucking claw.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
You could use wrist straps and wrap them around the bar and grab those.

Also, I find that its MUCH harder to breathe during front squats than in back squats, so- have fun with that. Breathing is a big part of this program- as you might know.[/quote]

Give credit where credit is due, rr.

And I’ll agree that it would remove the entire point of the program if you did these with front squats. You can’t breathe very well with front squats.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
Why rely on crutches to lift the weight. Increase your grip strength so you can do it yourself. [/quote]

Have you EVER squatted before? Why the fuck are you talking about grip strength?

You could do 20 rep squats with front squats, but not breathing squats. The form for front squats is not conducive to breathing squats.