Breathing Oxygen Rich Air

I know many of you have run out of breath many times when you workout, especially when doing long and intense sets (ie. 20 rep squats, complexes, tabata, drop sets) that tax your cardiorespiratory system a lot.

I wonder if you guys have ever done or even contemplated breathing oxygen rich air (air with a higher % of oxygen) during workouts so that the cardiorespiratory system wouldn’t be a limiting factor and you can annihilate your muscles during those long and intense sets instead of failing due to running out of breath. If you have done it, did it help? Or is it just plain stupid to even think about it?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not gonna do it. I’m just curious.

You’d look pretty silly squatting with a nasal cannular.

Don’t forget to inject extra pint of blood into ya (for more red blood cells) to transport all the extra oxygen around!

Would it be beneficial if it was reasonable? Yes without a doubt. Especially for myself who utilizes a higher rep rest pause style of lifting the time between sets trying to floor the muscle with oxygen are extremely important. While I might normally get 8+3+2 with 20ish seconds between sets with an oxygen hookup maybe it would be 8+5+3 and cause more damage without having to increase volume. Hypothetically it would be great, but I can’t imagine wheeling around an oxygen tank through the gym ha.

[quote]Spry wrote:

Don’t forget to inject extra pint of blood into ya (for more red blood cells) to transport all the extra oxygen around!
[/quote]

That won’t work. The heart would have to work harder to pump more blood. Lol!

Breathing pure oxygen is toxic and it will kill you if you do it for more than just a few shallow breaths.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Spry wrote:

That won’t work. The heart would have to work harder to pump more blood. Lol![/quote]

If that doesn’t work, what would you call blood doping?

I’m remember reading something about how in the 50’s some babies in intensive care were given pure oxygen and they all went blind because of the lack of other gases. o_O

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Spry wrote:

If that doesn’t work, what would you call blood doping?[/quote]

Sorry, undeadlift, but you’re wrong. It does work. Quite well in fact.

Cyclists have been in trouble for it before. It works and is hard to detect.

More red blood cells = more oxygen can be carried in the blood to your muscles.

[quote]Spry wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Spry wrote:

If that doesn’t work, what would you call blood doping?

Sorry, undeadlift, but you’re wrong. It does work. Quite well in fact.

Cyclists have been in trouble for it before. It works and is hard to detect.

More red blood cells = more oxygen can be carried in the blood to your muscles.[/quote]

Yeah. I was just joking just in case you didn’t notice.

[quote]eggowned wrote:
I’m remember reading something about how in the 50’s some babies in intensive care were given pure oxygen and they all went blind because of the lack of other gases. o_O[/quote]

Yeah I hear that all the time. I just don’t know about adults.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
Breathing pure oxygen is toxic and it will kill you if you do it for more than just a few shallow breaths.[/quote]

I see college basketball teams using pure oxygen during games while the players are resting in the bench. They’re still alive with no adverse effects. Knowing this, I think it’s OK to inhale pure oxygen given that your body has a high demand for it and you don’t do it over prolonged periods.

One word

Erythropoietin

As with every such method, why should you use it? If there is a reason, (you’re an athlete, set a new record etc.) it’s a powerful tool, if it’s just for shit and giggles, it’s prob. nonsense. The bodily limitations are there for a reason.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Rugby_Owns wrote:
Breathing pure oxygen is toxic and it will kill you if you do it for more than just a few shallow breaths.

I see college basketball teams using pure oxygen during games while the players are resting in the bench. They’re still alive with no adverse effects. Knowing this, I think it’s OK to inhale pure oxygen given that your body has a high demand for it and you don’t do it over prolonged periods.[/quote]

How do you know its 100% pure? Like I said, short periods, like a couple breaths are okay, but anything longer can damage the lungs and cause brain bleeds also. There’s a reason that high alt pilots, divers and high altitude sky divers use a gas mix.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Rugby_Owns wrote:

I see college basketball teams using pure oxygen during games while the players are resting in the bench. They’re still alive with no adverse effects. Knowing this, I think it’s OK to inhale pure oxygen given that your body has a high demand for it and you don’t do it over prolonged periods.

How do you know its 100% pure? Like I said, short periods, like a couple breaths are okay, but anything longer can damage the lungs and cause brain bleeds also. There’s a reason that high alt pilots, divers and high altitude sky divers use a gas mix.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Rugby_Owns wrote:

How do you know its 100% pure? Like I said, short periods, like a couple breaths are okay, but anything longer can damage the lungs and cause brain bleeds also. There’s a reason that high alt pilots, divers and high altitude sky divers use a gas mix.[/quote]

OK. We’re getting too technical. I think I should rename the thread to “Breathing Oxygen Rich Air”.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Rugby_Owns wrote:

[/quote]

Divers only use a gas mix past a certain depth and they mix oxygen with helium. Otherwise they use pure oxygen. In hospitals, pure oxygen is used often for patients who are having trouble breathing. Your statements are false.

Rugby_Owns wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Rugby_Owns wrote:

Divers only use a gas mix past a certain depth and they mix oxygen with helium. Otherwise they use pure oxygen. In hospitals, pure oxygen is used often for patients who are having trouble breathing. Your statements are false.[/quote]

Good points. Here’s a quick reference: Oxygen toxicity - Wikipedia

Now let’s go back to talking about how increased oxygen intake can affect training…

Lifting(hard) creates an oxygen debt, and to perform at your highest level it would benefit trying to repay that debt as quickly and fully as possible. Increased oxygen uptake via special breathing techniques or whatever means are available(like an oxygen tank) would benefit just about anyone. Is there any question about this?

Interesting. If you supplemented O2 would the homeostatic response be a diminished anaerobic capacity?

Rugby_Owns wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Rugby_Owns wrote:

Divers only use a gas mix past a certain depth and they mix oxygen with helium. Otherwise they use pure oxygen. In hospitals, pure oxygen is used often for patients who are having trouble breathing. Your statements are false.[/quote]

This is very untrue. The average diver uses regular compressed air with the same percentage of oxygen and nitrogen as the air we breathe every day. Nitrox does have more oxygen and can allow longer bottom time with less risk of decompression sickness. 36% nitrox is the highest commercially available mix for even the most advanced divers. This means that it is 36% oxygen. Air has 20%. Even technical divers do not use pure oxygen. Nor can our bodies handle it.