Breaking News: Creatine Deficiency is Real

Very nice of you to say! Thanks!

Was this pre Phosphagen?

About all I recall is that Bill Phillips published a very inexpensive pamphlet centering around steroid guidance. One of his oft contributors was Dan Duchaine. In one of his releases he mention the benefits of creatine monohydrate and offer the chance to purchase some.

It is possible it was called Phosphagen. I just can’t recall. I do know it was sold with dextrose and some B6. When I could no longer get his “blend” I bought dextrose elsewhere and mixed my own.

There doesn’t appear to be a solid reason to use dextrose, or for that matter, any kind of sugar at all to facilitate absorption. Makes it easier!

I used dextrose first thing in the morning when my muscle glycogen stores were lowest (Also post workout before Surge) to better drive the nutrients into the cells. I supposed that better utilized the creatine, as the stores might be lowest then.

It might have been of no benefit. It seemed that is why Phillips blended creatine with dextrose.

You’re right on the women part. I read an article that said as much as your mom bitched about you taking creatine bc its “unhealthy” (despite reading a total of 0 articles or research on that claim)

Women / mothers would be better off taking / eating more meat due to the decrease in calcium in women with increasing age…

So yeah…eat more meat women…

Is that the same when protein takes longer to digest than carbs / sugar/glycogen cycle ?

Curious topic

Or, if they lean towards vegan, supplement with creatine, at least.

2 Likes

I was going to start taking again, but good lawd those prices now its crazy! I’ll just stick to beta alanine.

The Biotest creatine monohydrate is $37.99 for 500 grams. At 5 grams per dose that is 100 doses for $37.99, or $0.38 (38 cents) per dose. (Or $11.40 per month for a 30 day month)

I know that get expensive over time, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable IMO.

But you are responsible for your budget. The choice is solely yours.

2 Likes

And even cheaper if you do the subscribe and save. At 5 grams a day, the deliver once very 90 days is pretty close to perfect.

1 Like

How do you guys normally take it? With water or throw it in a protein shake? Is it absorbed better with water?

I throw mine in a protein shake, but you can take it with almost any liquid. The original studies were done with coffee or grape juice, but it wasn’t necessary to use either of those drinks.

Thanks TC! I’ll try that.

Phosphagain was a thing during like my Sophomore year of college and I remember having gas and shits so bad during the loading phase that someone actually called facilities to check for a sewer pipe leak on our floor.

1 Like

Here is your retro-oriented comment for the day: what has happened to lists of foods/beverages one might consume to eliminate a deficiency without resorting to purchased supplements or extraordinary beverage concoction and consumption? I say this although I am on person who DOES take supplements (mostly in the oversaturation category) because I figured out I could NOT obtain certain nutrients I needed an excess of by ordinary dietary (i.e., eat, drink and be merry!) means. These are, none of them, incalculable amounts, neither what is available or what is needed. I think the exercise (!) of calculating one’s intake of anything of interest for a minimum of three days – and much better at least a week – is an excellent idea. You’ll be doing yourself a great favor — and have some great fun if you ever must go to a physician who wants to rail at you about your food/drink. THEY think no client/patient will know anything about anything about it. (NB I am not talking through my hat. Once upon a time I was a Registered Clinical Dietitian. Since those days long ago but not so far away I have seen more than one light and am no longer willing to keep my mouth shut.)

I’m very glad to see this focus on creatine. I have long thought it is the most important supplement someone can take – more important than Vitamin D, Vitamin C, fish oil, zinc, etc. because if cells don’t have optimal functional energy, not much else matters…and yes, many Americans need a creatine supplement because the body only makes about half of what it needs and the other half is supposed to come from our diet but the “modern” American diet is often low in creatine-rich foods. I don’t know if you’ve seen the work done by Dr. Lili Yang at UCLA on creatine but it also shows the importance of creatine in keeping cancer at bay by fueling the immune systems T cells…and while not yet published, Dr. Don Miller from the Univ. of Manitoba showed the same results for T cells with coronaviruses (T cells crave creatine to fight these health-compromisers). Dr. Miller uses creatine HCL (C-HCl) in his studies due to dosing efficiencies. Micronized creatine does well but C-HCl has about 70% better plasma uptake. He also has data that shows the cardiac damage caused by some chemotherapies is basically eliminated when cardiac cells are “protected” by creatine dosing. Additionally, the references above to brain health are very real – besides multiple Huntington’s patients that are maintaining their health well with a specific doctor-directed dosing therapy of C-HCl, in one case study we saw an Alzheimer’s patient on creatine score higher in year over year cognition tests which never typically happens. And Jose Antonio is right about some of the contaminants found in chinese creatine – we regularly acquire samples of cheap creatine coming over from china and have found everything from heavy metals to glass shards and plastic and metal shavings.
Thanks again for all this good info! Best, MarkF

Hilarious!

There was a study that showed greater uptake when creatine was paired with electrolytes. Hence I take my daily creatine with my post-workout raw milk.

Nice! I dump it in my Surge Workout Fuel and didn’t even realize I was doing so because I’m an evidence-based genius.