T Nation

Breaking In Gear for First PL Meet

I'm 4 weeks out to my first PL meet and i'm breaking in my bench shirt (titan katana). i just want to know how often do you guys suggest i wear it to break it in properly in the next 4weeks or so? does the same frequency apply to the suit? i've always lifted raw and just starting out with gear. thanks!

Ask 100 guys and you'll probably get 100 different answers for this question. I'm on a bench regime right now that has me in the shirt weekly if that helps you any.

Every week. If you can lift big raw weights but cant carry them over to gear, then theres no reason to do it. Lift in gear EVERY week till your meet so you can have a good feel for your gear.

4 weeks isn't a lot of time to break in and get comfortable with a new shirt. Definitely train with it every week

I've got a Katana..Board presses worked well for me to learn the shirts groove. I started with 4 board then 3. The next week 3 then 2 (wetting the chest plate a bit to help it stretch) Then week 3 was 2 board, 1 board and a few to the chest.

IF this is your first shirt it will be ind of frustrating to learn the groove. FUN but frustrating. For me the katana is great for 1 board and higher but something about that last little bit kicks my ass. I also had to stretch my sleeves to get my arms in the thing. The sleeves wee tight on my fore arms so on the bi's was like wearing a freaking tourniquet.

4 weeks may be a little bit on the tight side time wise. My coach has been working in his new Katana for the last 4 weeks straight (we train MM style, so we're in gear virtually every week) and its still not broken in fully yet. You may need to bench raw or in another shirt (if applicable) and save the new shirt until after the meet. just my $.02 though

Is the shirt brand new or old? I have the same shit, and if its new you will have problems to get the bar down. Im with brauny96, train every week, but if you feel the workouts with the shirt doesen't go that well, drop it! If its brand new i would use it in the smith rack and just put weights on until you get it down! Then you will open up the shirt and it will be easier to use it. Good luck!

Is the shirt brand new or old? I have the same shit, and if its new you will have problems to get the bar down. Im with brauny96, train every week, but if you feel the workouts with the shirt dosent go that well, drop it! If its brand new i would use it in the smith rack and just put weights on until you get it down! Then you will open up the shirt and it will be easyer to use it. Good luck!

I'm gonna be blunt and say you probably fucked yourself by not getting in gear until now. I'm not saying it's not doable but you just didn't make it easy for yourself.

You really have only two weeks of heavy training you can do before the meet. At two weeks out you should only be hitting your openers and the week before the meet you shouldn't be lifting at all. So any heavy day you have planned in the next two weeks should be in gear.

The third week you should probably hit your opener in full gear (if your are squatting or deadlifting heavy on the thursday or friday of this week, 8 or 9 days out, you may want to skip the opener and just do some pretty light triples). Since you have limited time I would recommend doing full range bench only so you get used to touching

I've never really worried about breaking in gear. I feel that it works great just out of the box and find that it will stretch out and lose "pop" if you use it too much.

X2
Maybe even put the shirt & suit on a couple of times a week on non-training days.

4 weeks is enough if you have loyal and smart training partners.

First workout in a double rage-x (jay fry's old shirt) I found my groove and touched. You just need to have good training partners and no weak points in your strength. 4 weeks is going to be all technique, and strength in the gear. If you keep making progress in your gear, chances are if you keep getting pr's, your strength is not going up, your technique is getting better.

Some tips I would suggest for 4 weeks out is:

-No boards, all full range triples and doubles untill the last week of training

-LOTS OF VOLUME if your in the shit, do 8 or 9 triples, that would be a good way to learn the technique, you just need to have a good recovery.

-Try to keep your bodyweight the same the whole time, if you are 4 pounds over from another weight class, dont cut, it will throw the gear off.

Four weeks might be enough if you have experience in gear, but I can't imagine trying to get into a shirt - much less a Katana - for what, three workouts before a meet?

I generally train raw and only put equipment on the last 6-8 weeks before a meet, but my equipment is well-used and fairly well-learned.

This is dumb as shit.

Whether or not someone can touch in a brand new katana with no prior experience in shirts has nothing to do with your training partners. Sure, they can tell you what to do every second of the lift, but that still won't necessarily make you touch.

I agree with most of this. You have 3 training weeks left, so get in the shirt at least 3 times...you really need more.
I disagree about not having to break it in. If that is the case, it is too loose...

Katana is strong for a first shirt if it fits right, my old, worn the fuck out katana took 405 to touch without it being jacked...
My new F6 made with katana material is great. I can BARELY touch my 435 opener... That is after 5 weeks in it now, the first time I used it, it wasn't easy to get 475 to a 2 board...on the up side, katana material is awesome and I should hit 500 easy next meet :slightly_smiling:
Katana material is strong, and needs some time to break in, my new shirt is loose and is that strong...I weigh 250 though.

If you are lucky, your shirt is a little too loose and you can touch well in it by the meet...

First time ever in a shirt though? This will be interesting to hear about...you had better hope it is loose...

thank you all for the reply. i used it and was able to bring it down and touch my chest. still have to learn the proper groove though. indeed, it is fucked up as shit to bring it down. and it does feel like a tourniquet in arms. anyway, still learning the groove on the thing gonna work exclusively on gear from here to the meet.

If your arms start to go numb in between sets, sit on a chair backwards and rest your triceps on the top of the back of the chair. That alleviates much of the problem for me in my katana. Can't do much about it during a lift, though. lol