Breaking in ACE Squatter

I’ve been having a great deal of difficulty getting depth in my new ace and was hoping someone around here would have some advice on breaking it in. Ive got a meet in a month, and after 4 weeks of training in it, i’m still hovering a couple inches high, even with the straps off and beltless i was an inch high last night. I get to where the suit binds up real tight, let it sink as long as i can without losing control then usually have to come back up as i start collapsing forward.

Its a size larger than recommended for my build (I was gonna put briefs under it, but thats out of the question right now) and doesn’t even leave any discoloration around my thighs (My briefs bruise pretty well), so i know that its not too tight. any tips on how to get it down that last little bit?

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
I’ve been having a great deal of difficulty getting depth in my new ace and was hoping someone around here would have some advice on breaking it in. Ive got a meet in a month, and after 4 weeks of training in it, i’m still hovering a couple inches high, even with the straps off and beltless i was an inch high last night. I get to where the suit binds up real tight, let it sink as long as i can without losing control then usually have to come back up as i start collapsing forward.

Its a size larger than recommended for my build (I was gonna put briefs under it, but thats out of the question right now) and doesn’t even leave any discoloration around my thighs (My briefs bruise pretty well), so i know that its not too tight. any tips on how to get it down that last little bit?[/quote]

I bought an ACE squatter a few weeks ago when EFS had that sale…anyways I’ve been in the suit 3 or 4 times now. It takes me about 20 min to get into it properly. I have to hang off a bar to get the suit seated most of the way up my thighs and I think I need to get them up about 1" more but it works well. What I’m saying is the suit is TIGHT as hell on my thighs and hips! I just did DE squats in the thing to help loosen it up and I can get to a 15 foam box with just an empty bar. Granted it hurts like F**k in the hole but I can do it. I have to use a wide stance or I get pitched forward a bit but the suit pulls my knees out. I got some folks on another board who use this suit and they advised mye to just keep sitting back and it will help hit parallel.
I know what you mean about the suit binding up. The side of my quads where that leg gripper seam is hurts like hell and feels like it’s in a vice. Maybe im sick but I like that feeling. It means carryover!!
Can you get a video for us?

This is the only video i have in the suit. It was at the end of last nights session. from what my training partners said, i was at roughly the same depth with 330kg, straps up and belted. I bought the suit at the same time as you actually. even with the ridiculous brokerage fees to have it shipped to Canada, it was cheaper than ordering from the Canadian dealer.

ah didnt work! kk its on youtube.

I know the obvious answer is add more weight. Ive had 370kgs on the bar and made the same depth as this vid. any more than than i get unbelievably shaky in the hole and my knees shoot forward.

I don’t know man, from the video it looks like your not really sitting back. It looks like your stance is super wide and your just going straight down kind of like a reverse SUMO deadlift. I noticed your feet pointing way out to the side. Have you tried / considered pointing them more forward and narrowing your stance just a bit? I just stood like you did and squatted down my knees did exactly like yours did in the video. I aimed my feet more to the front and my knees didn’t bend like that. Maybe next time get a video from the side and see how much you actually break at the hips before moving down.

I know what you mean about the straps up. I put the straps on kind of loose the last time I was in the suit and had 545# on the bar I got stopped dead in my tracks at about 6"-8" high. I had to loosen the straps and sit way back to get sort of parallel. I think sitting back is the key in this suit. Good luck and sorry about my being a ace noob I’m sure you’ll figure it out soon enough. I’d send that video to Chris Clark or one of the other guys at elite fts for review. They’ll get you straight. I’ve seen Pegg and Wendler post in here so maybe they can chime in and give some pointers.

Ive tried pointing more forward but ive found that doing that, when i go to unrack my hips shoot way back and i wind up goodmorning-ing it out of the rack, which stops working right around the 600 mark, I can see if i can find a middle ground that keeps the hips under the bar unracking, and lets me sit back a little further than i am now. I’ll get a side shot on next weeks session and send it on over to them.

You need to be sitting back WAY more. If you watch your video again, watch around the 14-15 second mark… your knees come forward a bit. You need to have more confidence in the suit and really just sit back and let it catch you.

I would also bring your stance a little closer and point your toes a little bit more forward. I find that in the ace, the more I sit back, the harder it pulls my knees out, which is exactly you want to hit depth.

I gave it a shot today for a light suit test. stance was maybe a hair narrower and feet straighter. I also loosened the straps from 2 finger widths from the bottom to 3. sat back more and was able to almost make depth with just under 600lbs. felt a ton more support from the suit and got the knees out a bit more. With a meet in 29 days I don’t know if I can totally revamp my form in time, but i will definitely work on improving it over the next 2 sessions before i go for openers and take a week off before the meet. I’ll put up a video after next Thursday’s session. Thanks a lot for all your help so far guys!

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
I gave it a shot today for a light suit test. stance was maybe a hair narrower and feet straighter. I also loosened the straps from 2 finger widths from the bottom to 3. sat back more and was able to almost make depth with just under 600lbs. felt a ton more support from the suit and got the knees out a bit more. With a meet in 29 days I don’t know if I can totally revamp my form in time, but i will definitely work on improving it over the next 2 sessions before i go for openers and take a week off before the meet. I’ll put up a video after next Thursday’s session. Thanks a lot for all your help so far guys![/quote]

Great news man!! I’m sure you’ll be able to get it working better for you. What do you think of the rebound out of the hole? My last suit was single ply and more or less just stopped me in the hole so the pop ACE is sweet.

oh man, before the ace, i was using a single-ply hardcore and predator briefs and had done a wicked tough 650. My second night in the ACE, I worked up to 815, was an couple inches high and likely a little out of position, and shot back up like i had a spring on my ass… it is ridiculous! i’m getting a little more carryover out of an ace thats a size larger than i should be in, no kneewraps or briefs, than my coach in a T-Rex with preds and wraps. its awesome.

And yes, I realize I’m a gear whore, but if you’re gonna be a whore… you cant just go half-way :wink:

Some advice for when you wear your equipment, you shouldn’t wear underarmor briefs under it. You will get much more out of your briefs and suit without them, I am guilty of this myself too.

I was at the gym today talking to Rudy Rosales (the guy that makes Overkill gear) and we were discussing the briefs that he made for me and Rudy told me that it’s better not to wear the long underamor style briefs because the power briefs won’t bite in the legs like they are supposed to.

oh, ok, good to know. thanks. I’ll give it a shot thursday

BTW, since you know the guy that makes overkill, when is there gonna be a website up for their gear? ive heard so much about the shirts that im debating between it and an sdp for my next shirt (still a way down the line but still)

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
BTW, since you know the guy that makes overkill, when is there gonna be a website up for their gear? ive heard so much about the shirts that im debating between it and an sdp for my next shirt (still a way down the line but still)

[/quote]

ditto!!

The shirts are the real deal, everyone that I know that owns one loves it. Rudy also has a suit that is canvas and poly, and he is going to produce some more TP-5000 knee wraps soon (they should be ready in the next 4-6 weeks). The website should be up in another month or two I believe. All the gear is custom made, which I think is one of the best things about ordering from him. If you want I could give you guys his e-mail adress, and you could shoot him an email about the gear.

I emailed him about the shirts. Here’s what Rudy sent me…

Thank you for your interest in the Overkill Bench Shirt. It is a poly construction that was engineered for powerlifting use maximizing the fabric return when loaded. The fabric is approximately 1-1/2 times the thickness of any competitors and the construction has been tested up to 1,200 lbs. The fabric has a performance life that outlasts all other shirts on the market. Once broken in you may want to have a final adjustment with first adjustment being free except shipping both ways. The fit is a custom fit based on measurements that you supply and available options are listed below. Build time is approximately 7-10 days.

Attached is a PDF document that describes how to take your own measurements. Itâ??s always helpful to have someone help measure to insure accuracy. Since this is a custom shirt it is very important that you follow the measurements as noted in the attached document, â??DO NOT PULL THE MEASURING TAPE TIGHTâ??. If you have any questions on any of the required measurements please contact me. Also, let me know what kind of shirt youâ??re looking for. Some of our options are below but will customize to your specifications. Please provide all of your contact information below.

Once you decide on the type of construction for your shirt we will send you a PayPal invoice where you can pay by credit card until our website is up and running which is currently under development.

A PayPal account is not necessary to make payment. Once you select the link that is emailed to you select the option shown below to make a payment.

Don’t have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available).

Available Options:

Please note the type of bench shirt you desire and the options needed when sending in your measurements.
Open back single Velcro (Standard Pricing)
Open back double Velcro (low back and upper back Velcro). Add $10.
Closed Back (Standard Pricing)
Single Layer ����� $150
Double Layer â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦… $200
Triple Layer �����. $275
Grid Stitched â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦… $20 (Grid stitching in our opinion is unnecessary. If the fabric is performing the way it should grid stitching will not help in any way other than manage the layers.)
Layer combinations up to triple layer. Example; triple chest plate, double sleeves. (Check for pricing)

Please provide your address so we may quote shipping.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone Number:

All Measurements are in Inches:
Shoulders Circumference:
One Shoulder Circumference: R L
Bicep Circumference: R L
Elbow Circumference: R L
Forearm Circumference: R L
Arm Length:
Neck Line to Crotch:
Neck Scoop Preferred (Standard is 1.5â??):
How much do you bench?
What shirt are you wearing now?
What is the Chest Plate Width Distance of current shirt?
What is your Height?
What is your Weight?

Rudy Rosales

Rudy seems like he’s really on top of this. It’s also curious to see that his 2ply is only 200. That’s a bargain in my book considering that its custom and he does the first adjustment for free. Seems like a hell of a deal; can’t wait for a website to be up and to see what else he plans to carry.

Rudy is currently selling bench shirts, briefs, squat suits, and knee wraps.

The TP-5000 wraps have been around for a long time, they have been tweaked overtime, but he is going to be going back to the original design for them I believe. Rudy is also planning on coming out with a deadlift suit, but I don’t know if he has a design for it yet. I have the briefs and I love them, there are also several guys I know that are wearing his poly/canvas squat suit and they love it too.

I see all those things used every weekend, and I see great things out of it. There is a reason that Ryan Kennelly, Scot Mendelson, Rob Luyando, and Paul Key all use his bench shirt.

Hey strengthdawg, what is Rudy’s email? Those shirts seem legit and a good deal. Thanks

Another not on the Overkill equipment, it is hardcore pieces of equipment for serious lifters. They shirts and brief will probably almost draw blood the first few times you wear them.