T Nation

Breaking a Man's Hand with a Handshake

1. Having massive grip strength doesnt mean you should crush people’s hands when you shake them. A true bada$$ at anything doesnt have to show it off. So you trying to overly squeeze someone’s hands, shows signs of immaturity.

2. You KNOW how hard you shake hands. Dont give that excuse, "Well im on level 4, im so f*cking strong i cant tell how hard im shaking hands. Bullsh!t, use common sense.

3. A Man shakes hands firmly. you dont squeeze the hell out of someones hands to try and show dominance. That is so pathetic.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Samuelsson broke another strongmans arm while arm wrestling… I guess he could crush a hand as well. He’s the guy who got two reps with the #4…[/quote]

Could be mistaken but I think Samuelsson had HIS arm broken while arm-wrestling Nathan Jones, the guy who was in “Troy”

yeah it is a pretty big jump from #1 to #2 and I very well may end up regretting it. I just figured I might be able to save a little money. Last thing I wanted was a repeat of when I bought the trainer…I closed it 10 times as soon as i took it out of the package.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:
Samuelsson broke another strongmans arm while arm wrestling… I guess he could crush a hand as well. He’s the guy who got two reps with the #4…[/quote]

Could be mistaken but I think Samuelsson had HIS arm broken while arm-wrestling Nathan Jones, the guy who was in “Troy” [/quote]

Here’s the vid - Magnus was by far the superior arm-wrestler, so I guess the injury came about through his use of leverage against Jones’s strength. Still awesome either way…reminds me of the arm wrestling scene in The Fly

So I’m a personal trainer at one of those “Globogyms” and my boss is a complete dick and knows nothing about training (says he used to train fitness models). Anyways, he is the poster child for training upper body 20 times a week but never legs and he thinks he’s super strong. Now I know his grip can’t be that good…he doesn’t even deadlift (he actually told my sister who I taught to DL to stop DLing).

As soon as I conquer #2 I’m heading straight up to his desk and handing it to him! When he fails I will pick it and do it :wink:

[quote]Nards wrote:
Now this is me speaking from complete inexperience on that, but it always seemed to me that crushing a full can of beer/soda wouldn’t be that hard. I know I’m wrong, but it always seemed to me like it would be easy if you were pretty strong.
[/quote]

You may be right. Seems like one of those things that would require a certain ‘angle of attack’ as well as strength in the right places. And a pair of gardening gloves - I sliced my hand on a crushed soda can (not as a result of popping it!) and it wasn’t pleasant.

Currently Ironmind lists 5 people as having closed the 4, Magnus doing it in 2004.

The jump from the 1 to the 2 is significant, but nothing compared to the 2 to the 3 jump. I can close the 2 for 3 reps, never messed with the 3.

I work with juvenile delinquents and keep a trainer in my desk. Have yet to have a kid, even some fairly big athletes, be able to close it.

[quote]Petermus wrote:
I feel sad when I get the limp fish :([/quote]

QFT… Guys should stop it imo.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwn11mM50f4[/quote]

Now this is me speaking from complete inexperience on that, but it always seemed to me that crushing a full can of beer/soda wouldn’t be that hard. I know I’m wrong, but it always seemed to me like it would be easy if you were pretty strong.

of course I should just buy a can and try it.

I did try to roll up a frying pan once, it was an aluminum one and I got it curled up on both sides.[/quote]

Can’t get video at work, what is the clip of Nard-say
[/quote]
It’s Magnus Sammuelson talking about the Captains of Crush grippers for a minute then he goes on to crush a soda can in his hands…a full one that is!

^ Gotcha, Never tried a soda can, to cheap to waste the soda. The #3 is no joke, and I just look over at the number 4 and laugh. I leave it on my desk and watch grown men walk over to it an pick it up expecting to do reps…yeahhhh. Hell most of my office can’t close the #1.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
I have the trainer and the #1, I can close the #1 about 15 times fully with right and about 9 or 10 with left. My buddy who rode motocross for his entire childhood and early adulthood, closed the #1 23 times on his first try. LOL Anyways, should I go #1.5 or #2? to step up?

V[/quote]

I went straight from 1 to 2, seems like a bit of a waste of money to buy so many in between. If you can do 1 15 times you should come pretty close to closing 2.

[quote]Getting Closer wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:
I have the trainer and the #1, I can close the #1 about 15 times fully with right and about 9 or 10 with left. My buddy who rode motocross for his entire childhood and early adulthood, closed the #1 23 times on his first try. LOL Anyways, should I go #1.5 or #2? to step up?

V[/quote]

I went straight from 1 to 2, seems like a bit of a waste of money to buy so many in between. If you can do 1 15 times you should come pretty close to closing 2.[/quote]

No set rules, but if can crush it 15 times give it a shot. I made the jump from 1-2 after doing it 3 times for TIME. I never go for high reps but that just what works for me. I close it for time.

I also tried folding a piece of paper and held it up using the grip so if it opened up the paper would fall to the floor. You know I’ve heard about guys that do motorcross having that kind of grip strength.

[quote]handsomedevil wrote:
So I’m a personal trainer at one of those “Globogyms” and my boss is a complete dick and knows nothing about training (says he used to train fitness models). Anyways, he is the poster child for training upper body 20 times a week but never legs and he thinks he’s super strong. Now I know his grip can’t be that good…he doesn’t even deadlift (he actually told my sister who I taught to DL to stop DLing).

As soon as I conquer #2 I’m heading straight up to his desk and handing it to him! When he fails I will pick it and do it ;)[/quote]

… Then walk out of the building, light a cigarette and toss the match behind you. The whole building will explode but you won’t even bother to look back.

Hammers work better.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Hammers work better.[/quote]

Forrrrrr what?

The griper work is for a specific type of power. I also do hammers and deadlifts. I was way past 500lb deads and still had issues with the number 2 Captain of crush cripper. Just something differnt.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

Forrrrrr what?
[/quote]

For breaking a man’s hand.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

Forrrrrr what?
[/quote]