T Nation

Breakfast When Bulking

Here is what I eat basicly every morning. It may not be ideal, but it seems to be working.

1 Ham Breakfast Burrito
2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
1 cup milk
4 cups of water

The burrito consists of one slice colby jack cheese melted, a flour tortilla, 4 large eggs, and a kind of taco sauce. I think it tastes pretty good. You could add whatever you wanted, or find ways to make it healthier, but here is the nutrition info on how I make it.

560 Calories

315 Calories from fat (Mainly the cheese and Peanut Butter)

23g Carbs (Almost entirely the tortilla)

50.4 g Protien

1304mg Sodium (Yeah I know thats ridiculous, the ham accounts for 780mg)

75 mg Cholestorol

All in all I probably should find a way to make it healthier, but like I said it works. What do you guys eat normally??

I am in a bulking phase right now. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it is super important in a bulking phase. 560 calories for breakfast will not do the job.

You need to amp it up to 1200 - 1500 calories for breakfast. My typical breakfast is at least 4 eggs, 4 pieces of whole wheat toast, potatoes, meat (sausage, corned beef, steak, chicken breast, something) and at least 32 ounces of milk and a lot of water. Up to two hours later it is first shake time, and two hours after that time for lunch.

During my current bulking breakfast, I eat Oatmeal pancakes (which I found the recipe for in the archives), 5 eggs (2 whole/3 whites) with veggies and sliced ham, milk, and a fruit of some kind (normally a banana).

Oatmeal pancakes are really filling and took me a few days to get used to eating but they are actually really good. Here is the recipe:

Essential Ingredients
4 Eggs - 2 Whole/2 White
1/2 Cup Low Fat or Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1 Cup Oatmeal

Beat the eggs and then add in the cottage cheese and oatmeal. For the oatmeal I use a mixture of old fashion oats and instant stuff. Adds more flavor. If you don't want to use the instant stuff, you can use all old fashion oats and add cinnamon, vanilla extract, whatever you want to flavor. Stir all the ingredients together and let it sit for a little bit while the pan heats so it forms a thicker batter.
Normally makes 2 large pancakes.

Do a search in the archives and see what you can find. Tons of great recipes to be tried out.

-LH

4 eggs w/ yolks
1 tablespoon of flax seed
1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
1 scoop of whey mixed with water
6 Salmon Fish Oil Pills
1/4 cup of almonds or walnuts

Gotta love the AD!! :slightly_smiling:

I have a great warm tomato salsa recipe you can make in large batches and use as a condiment on just about anything you eat. Heregoes:

• 1 large red onion
  • 1 poblano chili
  • 1 jalapeno chili
  • 1 small chipotle chili
  • 2 tsp adobo sauce (comes in the can of chipotles)
  • 4 Tbs fresh oregano, finely chopped
  • 4 large cloves garlic
  • 5 medium vine ripened globe tomatoes
  • ~5 Tbs olive oil
  • kosher salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbs ancho chili powder
  • 3 Tbs clover honey
  • juice of 1 large lime

Cut the red onions into 1/2"-to-1" thick rings, slice tomatoes in half. Place the cut veggies, garlic cloves and poblano and jalapeno chili peppers in a baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and lightly coat with olive oil. Cover garlic in aluminum foil packet.

Place garlic foil and veggies on grill until onions are translucent, tomatoes are soft and have grill marks, chili peppers are blistered and garlic is soft.

Cover peppers in a bowl and allow the steam to separate the blistered skin from the flesh. Remove skin, cut in half and remove seeds.

Add grilled contents along with lime juice, chipotle w/ adobo sauce, chili powder and oregano in a medium sauce pan on medium/high heat. Use hand held (immersion) blender to grind everything down to a thick stew consistency. Bring to a boil and immediately simmer on med/low-to-low heat for about an hour. Adjust flavors with honey, salt and pepper to taste after about 30 min of simmering.

Let cool for about 15 min (slightly above room temp) before serving.

You can add mangos, peaches, etc and make this into a sweet and chunky salsa. Use your imagination and go nuts. Enjoy!

thats a good breakfast...if you weigh 275 pounds. If the original poster is eating 5 to 6 times a day, depending on his weight 500 - 600 calories per meal should be just fine. He might need to add a little to breakfast and PWO to see better weight gains, but a 1500 calorie breakfast is absolutely unnecessary and would lead to fat gains.

I just got up an hour and a half ago, so I'm just eatin breakfast, but here's my bulking breakfast:

6 whole eggs scrambled, large bowl oatmeal, a lil honey and a banana. Works out to inbetween 850-950 cals. I'm a shade under 180lbs with an end of year goal to hit 200lbs.

Possibly a stupid question, but why ham, or sausage, as opposed to something with a better nutrient profile?
I know the calories are important when on a bulk, but wouldn't you be better served by using chicken, or lean beef, or fish, and making up the difference in calories with a better quality protein/fat source (more nuts, or eggs), and/or some fruit?

Just askin'...

Check out Berardi's guide for massive eating. I am a 210 pound guy and that breakfast for me is ideal or a little light. I need between 5000 - 6000 calories a day to bulk, according to Berardi, and the only was to get that much in is to start the day off with a huge meal. A 1500 calorie breakfast is definitely necessary.

I'm not going to tell others how to eat, but I don't know how/why people choke down all those carbs without getting a very full stomach, unless they are going to go run a marathon or something.

Hey,
Depending if I did sprints or endurance runs, my breakfast is usually 1 1/2 - 2 cups of oatmeal with 3/4tsp blackstrap molasses, strawberries/blueberries, and 1 1/2 cups egg whites...on the weekend, if I am doing a refeed or trying to gain, I add two cups of skim milk to the equation.

my normal breakfast

1 cup milk
1 protein bar
1 potato
1 banana
couple ounces beef jerky

but bulking up id probly add like another couple cups of milk and another banana

You wanna be 275 lbs? Eat like you're 275lbs.

you've gotta work yourself up to it though... Otherwise you'll LOOK 275 in no time.

And for the most part I've found Berardi's calorie recommendations far too high for everyone but the ectormorphs (Which John was I believe). MOST calorie recommendations don't come close to those numbers.

And from my experience MOST people who follow MOST calorie reccomendations do not attain their goals.

I think you'll find that most people aren't actually following those recommendations. I think the average gym goer could get great gains on a 3000 - 3500 calorie plan and actually follow it.

Most people honestly don't need 5000 calories to see a rise in weight, and certainly not a 1500 calorie BOMB for a single feeding opportunity.

Keep on bringing those recipes!

All this talk of Berardi's guidelines... you gotta remmember: they are guidelines, nothing more. You shouldnt suddenly start consuming 5000 calories a day, he always emphasizes that you should work your way up, adding a few hundred calories for a period of time, checking your status, then reevaluating your goals.

Every person is different, thats why you have to establish exactly how many calories are optimal for you. It could be a few hundred less, or a few hundred more than the guidelines.

Food logs are essential for this purpose.

My typical breakfast:

4 scoops of whey
2 bananas
100g of oats
1/2 litre of water

Blend Babay!

Calories: 850

I usually also scoff down a couple of spoons of chunky peanut butter which brings me to about 1000 cal.