T Nation

Breakfast Split

Hello everyone!

I recently been able to eat breakfast every single morning. What worked for me was to eat just a small amount of bread / cornflakes and then half an hour later when I arrived at school I would drink this yoghurt drink (an Icelandic skyr drink). I was wondering if it would better to drink it before I leave for school or find something else to drink / eat in the morning since it contains a significant amount of sugar?

Skyr.is drink

Protein: 20,13g
Carbs: 35,64g
Fat: 0,33g
= ca. 226 calories.

B2-vit: 0,528mg
Calcium: 339,9mg
Phosphor: 330mg

Cassetti

Why not just have a protein shake instead of that “drink”? Chances are it would be cheaper and you wouldn’t have to be concerned over the carb intake. Of course… you gave us no information on your stats, goals, etc. for us to base our opinion on.

And congratulations on being able to eat breakfast EVERY SINGLE morning. That’s step 1 of 1,248 into becoming a bodybuilder.

I was thinking about that the protein shake would be a better option. (The price is about the same though)

I’m sorry for not including more info.
My goals are mainly to gain more strength and endurance to enhance my performance in badminton (I play at a competitive level) :slight_smile:

I am 6’ 0" tall and weigh around 165lb.

Deadlift: ca 275lb
Sqats: 5 x 130lb
Legpress: ca 450lb
Bench: I haven’t done any benching because of a permanent injury.

My leg strength is clearly superior to my arm and upper body strength.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
And congratulations on being able to eat breakfast EVERY SINGLE morning. That’s step 1 of 1,248 into becoming a bodybuilder.[/quote]

QFT

I’m wondering what the rest of this guy’s diet is like.

Edit: what the hell, your second post wasn’t showing when I replied. Anyway…

Go with protein shakes instead, it’s just better. What’s the rest of your diet like?

Typical day would be along the lines of this:

07.00am: Breakfast - a bowl of Weetaflakes with skimmed mild.
07.45am: Skyr.is drink
11.05am: “Lunch” Most often a sandwich (ham, cheese, salad, tomatoes, cucumber) with 1/4litre of apple juice.
03.30pm: Sandwich again
06.00-07.00pm: Dinner (pasta, chicken, fish etc…)

I very very rarely eat fast food and limit candy/soft drinks to saturdays.

EDIT:

My practices/workout hours are most often from 04.30pm - 06.00pm. After them I usually take a protein shake.

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
Typical day would be along the lines of this:

I very very rarely eat fast food and limit candy/soft drinks to saturdays.

My practices/workout hours are most often from 04.30pm - 06.00pm. After them I usually take a protein shake.[/quote]

You’re on the right track, if ever so slightly. Get rid of that Skyr.is drink or whatever and replace it with a protein shake. Trust me, it’s better. How many calories do you get in a day? Your breakfast should be a decent sized meal and you should avoid eating heavily before going to sleep, especially if your meals are high in carbs (such as the pasta).

And wait, you mentioned “practices.” This implies athletic activity for a sport . If so, you need to eat more.

[quote]cheeta wrote:

Hummm islendingur se eg :slight_smile: gaman af tvi! well in english now, my coach does not recomend skyr.is in the morning, says its better in the afternoon and then just eat skyr not drink it. But cornflakes for breakfast? now dude :slight_smile: nothing against you but thats not a hardy breakfast at all. Ertu ad aefa a fullu ef svo er hvar ertu ad aefa? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Gaman að sjá þig! :slight_smile:

I will then cut out the drink and replace it with regular skyr.

I practice badminton in Mosfellsbær :slight_smile:

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:

You’re on the right track, if ever so slightly. Get rid of that Skyr.is drink or whatever and replace it with a protein shake. Trust me, it’s better. How many calories do you get in a day? Your breakfast should be a decent sized meal and you should avoid eating heavily before going to sleep, especially if your meals are high in carbs (such as the pasta).

And wait, you mentioned “practices.” This implies athletic activity for a sport . If so, you need to eat more.[/quote]

Will do. I haven’t counted my average calorie intake so I guess I start doing so tomorrow.

As for the breakfast: I’ve been trying steadily increasing the amount of food I eat then since I don’t like eating fast early in the morning. But I will try harder. Any suggestions for a good breakfast? I guess I could try out porridge with a protein shake tomorrow.

I practice badminton at least 4.5 hours each week in addition to ca 3-5 (depends on if I’m competing in the weekend) hours of weighlifting.

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
Will do. I haven’t counted my average calorie intake so I guess I start doing so tomorrow.[/quote]

It’s always good to know how many calories you’re taking in a day, as well as macronutrient breakdown. It may seem tedious, but it’s extremely helpful.

Eating cereal for breakfast is fine. But that shouldn’t be it. I used to eat a bowl of raisin bran w/ 1% milk, a bagel w/ or w/o cream cheese, a peanut butter sandwich, and a protein shake for breakfast. It gets metabolism going for the rest of the day, which is obviously a good thing.

Oatmeal/porridge (is there a difference?) is fine, it’s actually really good for you. And yes, get kicking on that protein shake.

What does badminton practice entail exactly? Err, regardless, you should eat more in general. Trust me, eating is your friend.

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
I practice badminton at least 4.5 hours each week in addition to ca 3-5 (depends on if I’m competing in the weekend) hours of weighlifting.[/quote]

Looks like we found out why you are 6’-0" and only 165… But I can also see that your smaller size plays an advantage to your sport. I would suggest only eating more if you are noticing yourself getting run down, or basically just to maintain or increase your energy/endurance levels. Of course if you are looking to add more muscle you will need to eat a lot more. You are basically starving your muscles right now with the combination of low calories and activity.

Day 1 of monitored eating.

07.00 am: A bowl of oatmeal + whey in milk = 532 cal.
08.30 am: Skyr.is drink = 226 cal.
11.30 am: Sandwich with ham, cheese, salad, tomatoes and cucumbers and green tea. Cal amount is not known (pretty heavy sandwich though).
01.30 pm: Another sandwich and an apple. Estimated calories: 721.
03.30pm: Skyr (the regular type) + a banana = 281 cal.
04.30pm: 1 hour badminton practice (practicing strokes and some matches)
05.30pm: Another skyr = 156 cal.
05.40pm: 50 minutes long workout at the gym.
07.00pm: Whey in milk = 363 cal.
07.30pm: Pizza with my classmates. = no idea but figured out with fitday that it might be around 1100 cal.

This sums up to about 3200 cals. That is not including the sandwich at 11.30 am (maybe around 500-600 cal there).

Almost all day I was hungry though.

Eating cereal for breakfast is fine. But that shouldn’t be it. I used to eat a bowl of raisin bran w/ 1% milk, a bagel w/ or w/o cream cheese, a peanut butter sandwich, and a protein shake for breakfast. It gets metabolism going for the rest of the day, which is obviously a good thing.[/quote]

I will try to add things to my breakfast, some nice ideas I got there :slight_smile:

A regular badminton practice may consist of practicing strokes (hitting the shuttle in different ways and not really demanding physically), footwork drills (can be a hell for your quads!) and practice matches (can become really intense and demanding)

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Looks like we found out why you are 6’-0" and only 165… But I can also see that your smaller size plays an advantage to your sport. I would suggest only eating more if you are noticing yourself getting run down, or basically just to maintain or increase your energy/endurance levels. Of course if you are looking to add more muscle you will need to eat a lot more. You are basically starving your muscles right now with the combination of low calories and activity.[/quote]

As for the size: I am rather large compared to all other players in my age group and larger than many in groups above me.

I don’t feel run down really, I always felt that I ate alot.

But my plan is to gain more strength (If I could get really really strong without getting really really big I would do it since oversized muscles are not ideal in badminton, to large biceps for example reduce your ability to perform some strokes) and endurance (cardio training).

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
Day 1 of monitored eating.

07.00 am: A bowl of oatmeal + whey in milk = 532 cal.
08.30 am: Skyr.is drink = 226 cal.
11.30 am: Sandwich with ham, cheese, salad, tomatoes and cucumbers and green tea. Cal amount is not known (pretty heavy sandwich though).
01.30 pm: Another sandwich and an apple. Estimated calories: 721.
03.30pm: Skyr (the regular type) + a banana = 281 cal.
04.30pm: 1 hour badminton practice (practicing strokes and some matches)
05.30pm: Another skyr = 156 cal.
05.40pm: 50 minutes long workout at the gym.
07.00pm: Whey in milk = 363 cal.
07.30pm: Pizza with my classmates. = no idea but figured out with fitday that it might be around 1100 cal.

This sums up to about 3200 cals. That is not including the sandwich at 11.30 am (maybe around 500-600 cal there).

Almost all day I was hungry though.[/quote]

I don’t know what skyr is, but I’d just switch them for straight protein shakes. And if you were hungry all day, that’s good, as long as you relieved that hunger by eating, which it looks like you did. However, once you finish working out, drink a protein shake. Post workout is KEY.

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
But my plan is to gain more strength (If I could get really really strong without getting really really big I would do it since oversized muscles are not ideal in badminton, to large biceps for example reduce your ability to perform some strokes) and endurance (cardio training).[/quote]

WHOA! This I do not like to read. Trust me, large biceps will not ruin your dexterity, agility, or mobility at all.

Cassetti wrote:
But my plan is to gain more strength (If I could get really really strong without getting really really big I would do it since oversized muscles are not ideal in badminton, to large biceps for example reduce your ability to perform some strokes) and endurance (cardio training).

WHOA! This I do not like to read. Trust me, large biceps will not ruin your dexterity, agility, or mobility at all.[/quote]

I saw it happen on a friend. He wasn’t able to do a good stroke that required him to bend his arm close to his shoulder. But I won’t really have to worry about it now since my arms are like toothpicks…

I don’t know what skyr is, but I’d just switch them for straight protein shakes. And if you were hungry all day, that’s good, as long as you relieved that hunger by eating, which it looks like you did. However, once you finish working out, drink a protein shake. Post workout is KEY.[/quote]

In one skyr there are 16,7g of protein, 21,6g carbs and 0.35g of fat.

I usually have a shake post workout, yesterday was just a really busy day. Lets see how it goes today then.

Thanks for the help! It is really appreciated.

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
I saw it happen on a friend. He wasn’t able to do a good stroke that required him to bend his arm close to his shoulder. But I won’t really have to worry about it now since my arms are like toothpicks…[/quote]

Your biceps have to be HUGE in order for you to not be able to bend them. One thing you should never worry about is getting muscular. Trust me, it’s a good thing.

He wasn’t able to bend them close enough toward his shoulder. But I will stop worrying about it.

[quote]Cassetti wrote:
He wasn’t able to bend them close enough toward his shoulder. But I will stop worrying about it.[/quote]

I don’t know what badminton entails, but don’t worry about adding on size, seriously. If you get “too big,” play tennis.