T Nation

Breakfast Questions

Hey,

I have read books such as Scrawny to Brawny and Precision Nutrition by John Berardi, and it seems that the general recommendation for breakfast is some sort of egg-based meal. However, he also recommends a lot of meals based on oats, but advises that these being ‘protein + carb’ meals, should be taken as part of peri-workout nutrition.

Then I read that some guys are having oats for breakfast not part of their peri-workout nutrition. For example, they might have oats, berries and protein shake. Isn’t this not in line with what Berardi is saying. I’m kind of confused

And yes, I am a beginner.

Thanks for any answers.

I’m not quite sure I understand your question. Beradi says you should have eggs for breakfast and oats per-workout, but you have heard of other people having oats for breakfast and not part of their peri-workout nutrition: is this the basis of your confusion?

Just because Beradi recommends an egg based breakfast does not mean that everyone has an egg based breakfast and it certainly doesn’t mean its the ONLY quality breakfast. What’s important is the macronutrients and calories, not just what food it is.

Whether you are eating 6 eggs on toast or oats and a protein shake is not going to make any difference as a beginner. It is more likely that the real issue will be whether you’re eating enough total calories throughout the day - not whether you should have had oats at 7am rather than 5:30pm, for instance.

BTW, there isn’t any rule which says you can’t have oats for breakfast AND pre-workout.

I just thought that because oats are carbs, it wouldn’t make sense to eat them at a time not around your workout window.

What are you goals?

So on workout days you want to only eat carbs peri-workout, and on off days you are going to eat no carbs?

If you want to gain weight, you are going to have to eat a lot - and eating a lot usually involves carbs.

Maybe post your diet for more general advice…

I eat carbs at every meal.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I eat carbs at every meal.[/quote]

Yep. Pretty much. With a few, rare, exceptions.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I eat carbs at every meal.[/quote]

Yep. Pretty much. With a few, rare, exceptions. [/quote]

Same here. I actually usually eat eggs and oatmeal at breakfast!?!? OP, like others have said you just need to focus on eating good quality food consistently throughout the day, and adjust up or down depending on your goals. Also, maybe I’m missing out on something big but my last meal before working out is around 2hrs before. I don’t want to be full and “sluggish” while training. I have recently started sipping my recovery drink during the workout though, but it’s too soon to know if it’s helping at all.

Weight: 78kg
Height: 181cm

Current Lifts (not maxed out yet):
Front Squat: 110kg 5x5
Bench Press: 80kg 5x5
OH Press: 55kg 5x5
Barbell Row: 67.5kg 5x5
Deadlift: 110kg 1x5

I’m currently doing Stronglifts 5x5. After I’ve built a reasonable base, I plan on switching to Madcow, and then to some sort of bodybuilding routine for a bit of fun.

EDIT: I also do Muay Thai 2-3 times a week.

Breakfast:
Coffee or Green Tea
Spinach and Cheese Omelet (5 egg whites, 1 omega-3 egg, 1 cup mushrooms, 1 cup spinach, 1/3 of an onion, 1 slice of cheese)
Although, today I had some 1/2 cup of oats with some fruit to make you guys happy :stuck_out_tongue:

Snack:
1 Cup of Greek yoghurt and a Piece of Fruit

Lunch:
4 Chicken Sausage Links
1 Garden Salad (1 Cup Carrots, 1 Cup Spinach, 1/4 Cup Cashews, Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing)

Snack:
1 Cup of Greek yoghurt and a Piece of Fruit
or some mixed nuts

Dinner:
Usually just meat such as a porterhouse and the same salad I mentioned above

Snack:
1 cup of cottage cheese or greek yoghurt, or a couple of boiled eggs, or really whatever I think will satiate me prior to bed.

On workout days it’s a little different. I usually just eat one of the PW meals prescribed in Precision Nutrition around an hour after working out.

The only supplement I take is Fish Oil (I take 10 capsules a day). Don’t really have enough money for protein, although I’ve got my eye on Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey for when I can afford it.