Breakfast Query

On training days I have to be up about 5am to get to the gym for about 6:30am.

At the moment I have a large bowl of oatmeal and 4-5 eggs with some fruit. This can make for a large breakfast to digest before training.
I was wondering if I would be better making a breakfast shake in the mornings?

Would a shake be easier to digest before going to the gym in the mornings ?
Has anyone any suggestion for a good pre gym mix to have ?

Are you having stomach issues while lifting? If not I don’t really see a problem with your breakfast. I would personally add a bit more protein and some water(you didn’t mention any fluid intake, which may be the cause of any problems you are experiencing).

I almost never bring one anymore, but I used to make a pineapple/banana smoothie with yogurt and Grow! before I hit the gym. Now that I lift at lunch I usually don’t have time in the morning to clean out the blender twice to prepare a second shake.

I don’t really have stomach issues, but I doo feel myself getting a bit sluggish early in the workout and was wondering if digesting breakfast could be leading to this.
That and if I could make a shake in the morning, it might be a bit quicker than cooking the oats and eggs?

maybe the sluggish feeling is from lack of sleep? you’ve got about an hour to digest all that food pre-workout which should be enough time considering that it’s not a very large meal so my suggestion would be go to sleep an hour earlier and see if you’re still sluggish @ the gym before changing your breakfast.

[quote]will56 wrote:
I don’t really have stomach issues, but I doo feel myself getting a bit sluggish early in the workout and was wondering if digesting breakfast could be leading to this.
That and if I could make a shake in the morning, it might be a bit quicker than cooking the oats and eggs?
[/quote]

No reason you couldn’t make a shake in the morning for breakfast. I would just make sure you really pack the calories in since you are lifting after.

Check your sleep first.

Sluggishness might be from having SO many carbs before you train. Maybe have less cereal?

If your having peri and post, workout shakes and then a good PWO meal…you don’t have to go NUTS on food before then.

I only have about 500kcal before I train, chicken and pasta. (but it’s not in the AM)

Good luck!