T Nation

Breakfast Ideas?

Okay I’m getting sick of the basic breakfast? What are some things that you guys cook for a quick breakfast?

Thanks

1. 3 egg omelets with peppers onions garlic spinach or kale tossed in
  2. melt some Coconut oil in a pan quickly sautee some spinach and dump in 3 eggs - mix up
  3. shake - kale, spinach, protein powder and water/ice

6 scrambled eggs slice up some ham microwave for a min melt some cheese add a bit of milk to the eggs while cooking. Mash it all together

I don’t know how do you define basic breakfast. I’ll go with the egg line:

5 eggs (prepare them anyway you like. Some sauces, like salsa verde or siracha are great addition).
porridge (rye or oatmeal)
fruit
coffee

Night before, equal parts:

• steel cut oats
  • milk
  • yoghurt (pref greek)

Add a handful of sultanas and 1T chia or flax seeds and mix

Throw into the fridge.

In the morning, add:

• banana
  • maple syrup or honey
  • top with slivered almonds and cinnamon
    Or whatever topping combo you like.

You may heat this but it’s far better cold IMO. This is the quickest breakfast with any sort of fibre you can hope for i think…

Depending on quantities/food selection kcal: 800 P: 35g F: 30g F: 115g Fibre: 20g

Eat it with a carrot - veggies every meal.

I will sometimes stop by McDonalds on my way to work and get plain scrambled eggs. It is not on the menu, but plain scrambled eggs are indeed for sale. Fast, easy and still fairly cheap.

Plus I like McDonalds coffee.

Eggs…Oatmeal (adding in blueberries, almond butter, honey etc…)…coffee…Always start the day with a shake too.

My staple is 1 cup dry oats, 2 cups coffee, 50 grams chocolate whey isolate, 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, creatine, ice. Blend. Delicious.

When I’m cutting, on most days I make a pan of cod + egg whites. I stock my freezer with one pound packs of frozen Alaska cod from Trader Joe’s.

One pound of cod is roughly 350 calories and 80 grams of protein. I start that in the pan first with a little olive oil and add one cup of egg whites which is 125 calories and 25 grams of protein. Scramble it up for a few minutes and serve.

That’s a tasty meal low in calories and super high in protein. I break it into 2 or 3 different meals throughout the day, and I know I have 500 calories and a lot of my protein requirements covered. The rest of my calories are a balance of fat and carbs, and it’s easy to stay within my fat loss range eating this way.

This could also be a muscle building meal, but I’d sub in some whole eggs instead of the whites. Cod is awesome. The Rock eats about 600 pounds of it per year and he doesn’t look too bad.

On Sundays I cook
2lbs of hamburger.
24 eggs with diced ham and asparagus

Then I put that into 7 days worth of containers

every morning I nuke the egg/hamburger mix, add some hot sausce and make a shake

Shake
Spinach
1/2 Cucumber
ginger
banana
Protein powder.

If cutting:

Shake

• Choco protein powder
  • tbsp coconut oil
  • tbsp PB or AB
  • tbsp cocoa powder
  • ice cubes
    Blended

If bulking:

• 3 eggs
  • chorizo/sausage links
  • broccoli sprouts
  • avocado
  • PBJ or (occasionally) a donut

I like the look of both of those. Why so few carbs for either cutting vs bulking though?

My breakfasts usually consist of whiskey, nails, and the blood of my enemies. All about that basic breakfast.

meat and vegetables.

Never really understood why there would be such a thing as foods specifically for breakfast.

I prefer to not have carbs with breakfast. Rather a high fat & protein meal to not spike insulin, unnecessarily. I train, primarily, at night and have carbs pre/post workout.

If you like hash browns in the morning try making them with sweet potato and spice them up with chili powder.

Try making a chia pudding with protein powder mixed it. Use a cup of almond milk, 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, scoop of protein powder, tablespoon of cocoa powder, something to sweeten it up with…you can add more stuff and experiment. I’m going to try next time with PB mixed in. Anyway, mix it up well and then let it sit in the fridge overnight. Next morning you’ll have a nice protein pudding.

Agree with you dchris. I’ve gone primarily big protein + fat in the mornings and afternoon…eating most of my carbs in the evening these days. Studies (some at least) are showing that eating this way leads to lower resting glucose levels, increased satiety, and blood work on me has definitely validated this approach. Amazingly, I’m not hungry in the day and no more food comas!

I used to do Mag-10 exclusively throughout the day (i.e. eating pulse feast style as popularized by CT) but changed this up recently to try something different…namely the protein + fat as described. Interestingly, I’m finding that for cutting, the pulse feast was awesome for me…for gaining however the new approach is working alot better.

Some variation of animal flesh, veggies, and healthy fat. If I have carbs I tend to feel comatose within an hour.

I don’t have many carbs with breakfast (4:30am) since I train in the afternoon (6:00pm) and sit at a desk most of the day. I have my carbs later in the day.

I’ve been diggin stuffed peppers for breakfast lately.