Breakfast Dilemna

I think we need to find a balance between fiber (necessary) and kcal (tough to get on a diet of All-bran and broccoli). College aged guys need 3000kcal daily on average (more for athletes, of course). It’s tough to gain weight while consuming even 25-30g fiber for some men.

If the breakfast dilemma is time or money rather than cooking facilities, I still think a piece of fruit and a breakfast bar (reading the labels) is helpful. All-bran bars are about 50 cents each, whole apples are cheap and don’t spoil quickly and Grow! bars are close to being 50/50 carb:protein. Slam a glass of skim milk and your total breakfast carb intake isn’t bad with this approach.

It’s important that everyone follow his/ her own choices, though, as a lifestyle change that’s too dramatic (from existing patterns) won’t stick.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
I think we need to find a balance between fiber (necessary) and kcal (tough to get on a diet of All-bran and broccoli). College aged guys need 3000kcal daily on average (more for athletes, of course). It’s tough to gain weight while consuming even 25-30g fiber for some men.

If the breakfast dilemma is time or money rather than cooking facilities, I still think a piece of fruit and a breakfast bar (reading the labels) is helpful. All-bran bars are about 50 cents each, whole apples are cheap and don’t spoil quickly and Grow! bars are close to being 50/50 carb:protein. Slam a glass of skim milk and your total breakfast carb intake isn’t bad with this approach.

It’s important that everyone follow his/ her own choices, though, as a lifestyle change that’s too dramatic (from existing patterns) won’t stick.
[/quote]

What about the fiber makes it tough to gain weight? The fullness it causes or something else?

[quote]blam wrote:

What about the fiber makes it tough to gain weight? The fullness it causes or something else?

[/quote]

Yes, the fullness. Fiber doesn’t magically make it harder to gain weight.