T Nation

Breakfast Dilemna

I’m off at college and having difficulty with my breakfast choices. The food, by and large, is healthy and tasty, but I often have a problem with breakfast. My main choices are coming down to either All Bran or Raisin Bran cereal or Quick Oats.

I’m used to Steel Cut Oats and cannot find the GI rating for rolled oats vs. All Bran. I remember when I saw the All Bran box, the amount of fibre is pretty hefty.

I’ve been eating some cottage cheese with whatever grain I choose.

Opinions?

[quote]Kaiserrow wrote:
I’m off at college and having difficulty with my breakfast choices. The food, by and large, is healthy and tasty, but I often have a problem with breakfast. My main choices are coming down to either All Bran or Raisin Bran cereal or Quick Oats.

I’m used to Steel Cut Oats and cannot find the GI rating for rolled oats vs. All Bran. I remember when I saw the All Bran box, the amount of fibre is pretty hefty.

I’ve been eating some cottage cheese with whatever grain I choose.

Opinions?[/quote]

Don’t sweat the minutiae

First and foremost, pick something you like to eat. Second, make sure you do eat a breakfast as often as possible. A pop tart is better than nothing. If you find a cereal that has 4-5g of fiber per serving that you like–great.
I happen to like Complete flakes. But really, you have all day to forgive yourself for an occasional Cap’t Crunch if that is what you like.

And actually, while cottage cheese is great, it is almost to slow digesting for a morning meal. But again, this is worrying about the small stuff.

Eat as healthy as you can as often as you can.

I disagree with sasquatch.

Breakfast is arguably the most important meal of the day as it is your first opportunity to feed after the night of fasting. Yes, a pop-tart is better than nothing, but nothing and pop-tart are pretty fucking close on the shitty scale.

The best thing you can probably eat with limited cooking access is a cup or a cup and a half of WHOLE ROLLED OATS (or steel cut) with some milk and a couple scoops of protein. Mix this all up with a spoon until it gets to an eatable consistency. You can actually mix it up in one of those cheap Glad tupperwares and bring it to class with you if you’re running late. Add a piece of fruit to that and you’re good to go.

Another point against the “pop-tart theory”:

Your breakfast can shape what you eat for the rest of the day. If you eat a shitty breakfast then you’re more inclined to say “fuck it” for the rest of the day and make it into a cheat day, or whatever it is you want to call it when you don’t eat what you’re supposed to.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Don’t sweat the minutiae
[/quote]

Agreed. I made some great gains in college because the most important factor is the quantity of calories. everyone doesn’t have the “perfect” diet, yet some of the most developed people are walking around college campuses. I ate what was available which was often waffles, milk and eggs. Yopu do what you can, but progress in bodybuilding shouldn’t stop just because you don’t have access to the diet of an Olympic trainer.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
The best thing you can probably eat with limited cooking access is a cup or a cup and a half of WHOLE ROLLED OATS (or steel cut) with some milk and a couple scoops of protein. Mix this all up with a spoon until it gets to an eatable consistency. You can actually mix it up in one of those cheap Glad tupperwares and bring it to class with you if you’re running late. Add a piece of fruit to that and you’re good to go.[/quote]

I could see possibly eating this way when dieting, but why would someone need steel milled oats for breakfast regardless of goals? I hear this recommendation on this board a lot and, unless dropping weight and cutting back on fats and carbs, breakfast doesn’t need to be
“painful”.

-Blender-

? 2 Servings of Whey Protein 44P 4C 4F
? 1 Cups of 1% Milk 11P 14C 2F
? 1/2 Cup of Blueberries 0P 9C 0F
? ? Cup Steel Oats 12P 54C 6F

Works like a champ for me!

I had wondered this same question. Since I’m usually too tired to make breakfast before class, i’ve just been drinking 46 grams of whey protein and 5 grams of creatine mixed in. Is this alright, or do I need solid food instead of a shake?

[quote]Playboy wrote:
I had wondered this same question. Since I’m usually too tired to make breakfast before class, i’ve just been drinking 46 grams of whey protein and 5 grams of creatine mixed in. Is this alright, or do I need solid food instead of a shake?[/quote]

I used to eat my breakfast that way when dieting in the past. I have found that it just doesn’t last long which may be a problem if you have early classes and no way to get a meal down for a few hours. Other than that, there is no problem with it, espcially if your meals are more balanced the rest of the day.

[quote]Playboy wrote:
I had wondered this same question. Since I’m usually too tired to make breakfast before class, i’ve just been drinking 46 grams of whey protein and 5 grams of creatine mixed in. Is this alright, or do I need solid food instead of a shake?[/quote]

Ideally, this is what we should all consume for our first waking meal. Throw a little sucrose in there so you don’t “burn off” as much of that protein, and be sure to eat again in an hour or so.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:

Breakfast is arguably the most important meal of the day as it is your first opportunity to feed after the night of fasting. Yes, a pop-tart is better than nothing, but nothing and pop-tart are pretty fucking close on the shitty scale. [/quote]

You wound me. What do you have against Pop-Tarts? If they had any protein, they’d be close to the perfect food (unless you’re cutting or concerned about health).

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
I disagree with sasquatch.

Breakfast is arguably the most important meal of the day as it is your first opportunity to feed after the night of fasting. Yes, a pop-tart is better than nothing, but nothing and pop-tart are pretty fucking close on the shitty scale.

The best thing you can probably eat with limited cooking access is a cup or a cup and a half of WHOLE ROLLED OATS (or steel cut) with some milk and a couple scoops of protein. Mix this all up with a spoon until it gets to an eatable consistency. You can actually mix it up in one of those cheap Glad tupperwares and bring it to class with you if you’re running late. Add a piece of fruit to that and you’re good to go.

Another point against the “pop-tart theory”:

Your breakfast can shape what you eat for the rest of the day. If you eat a shitty breakfast then you’re more inclined to say “fuck it” for the rest of the day and make it into a cheat day, or whatever it is you want to call it when you don’t eat what you’re supposed to. [/quote]

You focus a 3 paragraph rant on a ‘throw-in’ sentence.

Did you take the time to read and digest the message I was giving.

There is always going to be
perfect
great
good
ok
poor
choices to be made for meals. And yes breakfast is an important meal, but it doesn’t have to be perfect each time. Wait 'till you have 3 kids–2 still in diapers–and tell me then how often you eat steel cut whole rolled oats for breakfast. And then exactly 45 minutes later some protein. Then a P&C meal 2 hours after that…blah blah blah.

What’s important is to do your best as often as possible. You guys are just setting yourself up for failure if you honestly believe a less than perfect meal automatically wrecks that day and turns it into a cheat day.

Eat
Lift
Eat some more
Have a beer, watch the game, bang your girl, for Christ’s sake have some fun

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Eat
Lift
Eat some more
Have a beer, watch the game, bang your girl, for Christ’s sake have some fun[/quote]

What if I get them mixed up and eat the girl?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Eat
Lift
Eat some more
Have a beer, watch the game, bang your girl, for Christ’s sake have some fun

What if I get them mixed up and eat the girl?[/quote]

Add some Grow! and count it as a P&C meal

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Eat
Lift
Eat some more
Have a beer, watch the game, bang your girl, for Christ’s sake have some fun

What if I get them mixed up and eat the girl?

Add some Grow! and count it as a P&C meal[/quote]

I hate to throw my weight around as an “expert” in this area, but adding honey (rather than Grow!) makes for a far better P+C meal.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Eat
Lift
Eat some more
Have a beer, watch the game, bang your girl, for Christ’s sake have some fun

What if I get them mixed up and eat the girl?

Add some Grow! and count it as a P&C meal

I hate to throw my weight around as an “expert” in this area, but adding honey (rather than Grow!) makes for a far better P+C meal.[/quote]

wrong C

[quote]Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Eat
Lift
Eat some more
Have a beer, watch the game, bang your girl, for Christ’s sake have some fun

What if I get them mixed up and eat the girl?[/quote]

Lucky girl…

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Add some Grow! and count it as a P&C meal

David Barr wrote:
I hate to throw my weight around as an “expert” in this area, but adding honey (rather than Grow!) makes for a far better P+C meal.

sasquatch wrote:
wrong C[/quote]

Funny, I’m thinking “wrong P” (don’t even go there). LOL

Honey eating and girls aside (ehem, just for a moment), there’s the portability thing that sets me and many others back… even considering a microwave oven…

I can’t digest uncooked oats without difficulty (uh, let’s not go there either!!) and have to rely on an All bran breakfast bar, an apple, and a Grow bar with my half-caf as I literally run out the door some mornings. (And don’t tell me to wake up earlier; I just wrote a big article on sleep debt.) I think portability is where it’s at regarding a “safety net” prevention of meal skipping.

I would say to mix All Bran w/ the Quick Oats.

Why?

Well for breakfast you are looking for a relatively higher protein and carb intake to combat the overnight fast.

All-Bran has relatively low net carbs since a high portion of it is fiber.

Quick oats are relatively high in carbs with less fiber.

By combining the two, you get both higher carbs and higher fiber. So the fiber will offset any of the glycemic issues you are concerned about as well as to slow gastric emptying which should help to keep you feeling less hungry and keep your blood sugar/aa at a desirable level for a longer period.

Definitely make sure to get plenty of protein as well.

Take care.

Ryan

To further go on the helpfull hint of DR. Ryan I will add you can also save some money on the EXPENSIVE high fiber bran cereals. (Fiber One, All Bran, etc.) By simply buying a bag.box of wheat bran. It is comprised of almost fiber only. I add a 1/4 to 1/3 cup or so of this to my morning Oats for some added fiber and volume.

MUCH cheaper as well.