Breakfast Choices

For some reason I’ve always seen eggs as a no-brainer for breakfast (I usually have 3 whole, 3 whites scrambled with 1 slice of wholemeal toast). Many mass gain meal plans also suggest eggs as a breakfast choice. Is there any logical reason for this other than eggs being traditionally seen as a breakfast item? I came up with a shake/smoothie this morning that I would consider as more suitable for the first meal of the day when trying to gain lean mass:

100g Oats: 356kcal, 11g protein
250ml skimmed milk: 87kcal, 8.7g protein
2 scoops (48g) whey protein: 192kcal , 36.4g protein

• 1 hand full of Frozen Fruit
    Totals: 635kcal, 56g protein

I mix this lot in a blender and it’s delicious as well as providing protein more quickly than eggs (due to the whey). I know eggs are considered an essential bodybuilding food due to their high biological value but there’s no reason I can’t have them later in the day. Do you guys think this shake is a suitable substitute for eggs at breakfast time

That looks fine. I know that many people have a shake when they wake up, either for ease of preparation or just not being hungry in the morning.

The only reason I’ve heard is that eggs are high in tyrosine, so it wakes you up. I would guess that the effect is minuscule though.

In short, nice shake, enjoy it.

My fav is
3 raw eggs
1 scoop of whey (your choice of brand)
1/2 cup skim milk
1 banana
cinnamon

I use a vanilla flavor myself…

Solid

I have shake for breakfast instead of my old egg routine. I usually don’t have the time and it calcs out better than the eggs and toast.

While leaning out:
6 egg whites
6 extra lean turkey bacon
1/2 cup 4% fat cottage cheese
1 Tbsp flaxseed oil

[quote]MagicJohnson85 wrote:
For some reason I’ve always seen eggs as a no-brainer for breakfast (I usually have 3 whole, 3 whites scrambled with 1 slice of wholemeal toast).

Many mass gain meal plans also suggest eggs as a breakfast choice. Is there any logical reason for this other than eggs being traditionally seen as a breakfast item? I came up with a shake/smoothie this morning that I would consider as more suitable for the first meal of the day when trying to gain lean mass:

100g Oats: 356kcal, 11g protein
250ml skimmed milk: 87kcal, 8.7g protein
2 scoops (48g) whey protein: 192kcal , 36.4g protein

• 1 hand full of Frozen Fruit
    Totals: 635kcal, 56g protein

I mix this lot in a blender and it’s delicious as well as providing protein more quickly than eggs (due to the whey). I know eggs are considered an essential bodybuilding food due to their high biological value but there’s no reason I can’t have them later in the day. Do you guys think this shake is a suitable substitute for eggs at breakfast time

[/quote]

Absolutely not! If you government finds out you will be sent to the tower of London. Resist this temptation.

The reason for eggs in breakfast is because they are filled with leucine (i believe) or one of the BCAA’s that halts catabolism and makes you anabolic. The yolk also has cholesterol that is vital for life, especially a weight lifter.

I prefer steak at night, so I guess the only other time for eggs is breakfast…or maybe steak and eggs for breakfast :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I try and eat a larg breakfast consisting usually of oatmeal/eggs/protein shake (consumed while cooking) and maybe some cottage cheese mixed w/fruit.

Gerdy

Thanks guys. Just wondering whether the quicker digestion rate of whey would outweigh the benefits of the BCAAs in eggs. Another plus point to the shake seems to be that it allows me too eat fairly soon again after drinking it, whereas eggs tend to fill me up for some time, essential when I’m trying to pack in the carlories over a day! As you say I could have the whey before the eggs, don’t know if I could stomach all that lot though!

Skim milk, egg whites, lean bacon … are you guys afraid of fat?

Don’t be. Be afraid of the carbs. Nothing better than doing the anabolic or T-dawg or similar diet for gaining lean mass.

My breakfast:

3 omega-3 eggs cooked in 1 tsp coconut oil
2oz feta cheese
5 kalamata olives
whey isolate shake (28g protein, 2g carbs)

Total: 565 kcal, 55g protein, 35g fat, 6g carbs.

Eat an orange (or some other fruit like a plum or strawberries) at the end, but careful if you are low carbing (15g carbs in an orange, 7g carbs in a plum …).

I’m not fat-phobic at all I just tend to consume most of my fats later in the day (usually in the form of peanut butter, olive oil, sometimes salmon). the way I see it it’s better consume the majority of your carbs early in the morning as they will provide energy throughout the day. Saying that I do still consume carbs in the evening as I’m fairly lean, I’m just trying to gain mass while maintaining my current condition, if I do notice any visible fat storage I’ll cut back on the carbs.

I recently switched to having a big ol’ shake in the morning with ham and either cheese (non-training) or toast (training).

I got really sick of eggs a month ago; so far its working.

I’m not fat-phobic at all I just tend to consume most of my fats later in the day (usually in the form of peanut butter, olive oil, sometimes salmon). the way I see it it’s better consume the majority of your carbs early in the morning as they will provide energy throughout the day. Saying that I do still consume carbs in the evening as I’m fairly lean, I’m just trying to gain mass while maintaining my current condition, if I do notice any visible fat storage I’ll cut back on the carbs. [/quote]

Agreed. I like carbs in the morning. Oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, scoop of whey, maybe some toast and pb if I’m still hungry. I usually get alot of fat throughout the day and keep carbs to breakfast, pwo shake and meal.

I love eggs though, but I usually eat 3 or 4 at night before bed.

I’m not fat-phobic at all I just tend to consume most of my fats later in the day (usually in the form of peanut butter, olive oil, sometimes salmon). the way I see it it’s better consume the majority of your carbs early in the morning as they will provide energy throughout the day. [/quote]

If you are on the anabolic diet or similar, the recommendation is to consume the carbs around your workouts and in the evening. This is because in these diets you train your body to use fat for fuel, so giving it carbs in the morning will defeat that purpose. The carbs around the workout are obvious, to reduce the cortisol, and the ones late at night are so that the serotonin response puts you in a calm relaxed state and ready for bed.

I have a double-serving of oatmeal with a cup of blueberries every morning, and it’s my favorite meal. I usually eat eggs at some point, with or without steak and hot sauce, but for lunch or ‘second breakfast’.

Gotta have my Grow! Whey every morning.

Call me simple, but I just blend 6 whole eggs, a cup of milk and a tablespoon of honey. takes 2 mins to blend and scull, then I’m out the door without a rumble in my stomach.