Breakfast Carbs

I have a question regarding pre-workout/breakfast carbs. I wake up around 6:45-7:00 am and train at around 9:00 am. I feel like when I consume a high carb breakfast, that I don’t have as much energy as when I just do something like protein/fat and maybe some veggies.

Is this psychosomatic, or could it possibly be that carbs pre-workout is not necessary, and possibly hinders performance due to insulin issues? Would it make sense that after a night’s fast, I perform better on just protein/fat? Is that even possible?

I always feel better having a protein and fat meal around two hours before I train. I keep my carbs for my Surge pre/during/post and a few meals after training.

But see the thing I am worried about is that I have heard that at night you deplete your glycogen stores… so I would be working out with just a protein/fat meal in me… ?

Is the whole “depleted glycogen storage” at night thing true, or is that a dumb myth? Would one have less strength if they just wake up and do protein/fat, and then train?

I don’t know about any science on the topic to link, but my personal experience is that more carbs for breakfast give me more energy, but only complex carbs. Oats, Wheatina, whole grain cereal etc. If I eat sugary foods I feel like crap.

I also need protein with the carbs as well as fat or I feel funny.

A full breakfast is best for me. Grains, meat and eggs and lots of coffee and water.

Also, bucking casein protein alone at night in place of whole grain pasta, chicken and spaghetti sauce followed by a glass of milk seems to equate to more energy in the morning for me.

i’ve tried working out without consuming some breakfast carbs and my energy levels were not up to their usual levels. i felt weak and tired. so now i always consume a bowl of old fashioned oats with some fresh blueberries and either an egg white ommlette or a simple protein shake. maybe some do better with a p+f meal pre workout but i need my carbs. just make sure you consume protein along with your carbs and not just carbs alone.

You may be right about the insulin issue, what kind of carbs are you referring to?

I was referring to carbs from oatmeal, oatbran, or sweet potatoes- all clean,slow digesting carbs.

But still, I am unsure about the whole “glycogen depletion at night” thing. Anyone know the science behind that? why would we burn glycogen while sleeping? Wouldn’t it be mostly fat since heart rate is not elevated?

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
But still, I am unsure about the whole “glycogen depletion at night” thing. Anyone know the science behind that? why would we burn glycogen while sleeping? Wouldn’t it be mostly fat since heart rate is not elevated?[/quote]

Your brain, kidneys, red blood cells, etc. need glucose (and are still active during sleep) so glycogen reserves offers a quick and easy source of that.

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
I was referring to carbs from oatmeal, oatbran, or sweet potatoes- all clean,slow digesting carbs.

But still, I am unsure about the whole “glycogen depletion at night” thing. Anyone know the science behind that? why would we burn glycogen while sleeping? Wouldn’t it be mostly fat since heart rate is not elevated?[/quote]

I really wouldn’t sweat the details. Eat whatever combo allows you to best perform in the gym. That’s why you go right?

Enjoy your protein and fat meal, then hit up half a serving of Surge at the start of your workout.