Breakfast - Blended or Whole Food?

Hope this isnt a dumb question. would i be getting any less nutritional value by blending my breakfast into a shake in the morning as apose to eating it whole?
ex: 1 cup oats, 1 banana, 1 pint milk, 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1 table spoon peanut butter.

the reason is i ask is because someone posted something like this in the oats good/bad forum(not sure the actual name) the other day and apparently eating it whole instead of blending it. if i dont lose nutrional value this is gonna be my most common breakfast. thanks in advance…

sorry, can’t answer your question… but, why blend it?

It’s a lot easier to eat that way.

yeah im just thinking it would be way easier, plus with time constraints i could take it with me

I don’t think it would lose nutritional value, but I’m not educated enough to know for sure.

I’m pretty sure you lose the fiber when bleding somehow, but other than that nothing changes nutritionally. Jonny Bowden in his book always said that the downside for blending different veggies together is you lose the fiber.

i know when you use some of those juicers you lose some nutritional value. maybe if i just make the shake and then mix in the oats. anyways thanks. if i find out a for sure answer somewhere else ill post it. thanks for the input.

p.s. pb andy if your in the service thanks for that too, man.

It won’t lose any nutritional value by blending everything. Juicing is a different story.

I take my morning shake with me for my 40 minute drive to work. Eating a bowl of hot oatmeal and eggs while navigating through rush hour traffic is overrated.

Give Waterbury’s Shake a try. It’s great.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//the_super_protein_shake_022607

The difference isn’t going to be anything noticeable. If you’re pressed for time, just blend it.

[quote]JN7844 wrote:
It won’t lose any nutritional value by blending everything. Juicing is a different story.

I take my morning shake with me for my 40 minute drive to work. Eating a bowl of hot oatmeal and eggs while navigating through rush hour traffic is overrated.

Give Waterbury’s Shake a try. It’s great.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//the_super_protein_shake_022607[/quote]

lol. yeah that rush hour traffic meal might get old, and difficult. funny

thanks, well i think i just found my new breakfast, ill check out that link too.

well its not letting me pull up the link, oh well. well i feel more confident doing it this way, i can throw other stuff in their too and experiment. then on sunday cheat days do the whole eggs, bacon, pancakes w/ peanut butter and syrup thing. man i’m getting hungry. thanks again

My supershake:

oats
water
2 Scoops vanilla protein powder
1 serving Superfood
1 banana
half cup of frozen mixed berries
table spoon ground flaxseed
tablespoon coconut oil
peanut butter
cinnamon
BLENDED

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
My supershake:

oats
water
2 Scoops vanilla protein powder
1 serving Superfood
1 banana
half cup of frozen mixed berries
table spoon ground flaxseed
tablespoon coconut oil
peanut butter
cinnamon
BLENDED

[/quote]

damn. nice. how long after you drink that would you be ready to workout?

I’m not sure why the link isn’t working. Here’s the recipe as written by Waterbury:

The Super Protein Shake

I put an apple and a handful of raw broccoli in my protein shakes every morning. Yep, you read that right. The sweetness of the apple offsets the “unsweetness” of the broccoli. With the following combination, you won’t even know the broccoli’s in there, but your health and body fat levels will thank you. Mix in 16-20 ounces of water in a blender:

2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive

1/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese

1/2 cup of oatmeal

1 banana

1 apple

1 cup of raw broccoli tops

Blend until it’s as smooth and drink up!

thanks brother

T-nationT-nationT-nationT-nationT-nationT-nation

Blending food for breakfast is a great option, generally you can always consume more food when in liquid form and I know I couldn’t eat as much solid food as I do liquid when I wake up.

right on

The only thing I can think of that might make a difference would be digestion time.

I know Berardi wrote an article reguarding protein absorption as a shake as opposed to solid. Its just because as a liquid, your body doesnt have time to process all the nutrients as theyre kind of like half digested already and will pass them through the body faster.

I do not know if this applies to you since you have oatmeal to slow things down in there and a banana and some PB. Good stuff

thanks for the reply