Break Dancing

What are your thoughts on break dancing?
I thought it would be cool to learn and would it give you some of the benefits that you would get from gymnastics?

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
I thought it would be cool to learn and would it give you some of the benefits that you would get from gymnastics?[/quote]

You have to already be very strong, flexible and have great balancing skills before being any good at breaking. Breaking is a poor conditioning base, so yes and no for its benefits.

If you already have those things, break dancing would be a good way for you to exercise them. If you don’t, you won’t really benefit from it because you’d be so limited in what you could actually perform.

[quote]texass wrote:
fartmonkey64 wrote:
I thought it would be cool to learn and would it give you some of the benefits that you would get from gymnastics?

You have to already be very strong, flexible and have great balancing skills before being any good at breaking. Breaking is a poor conditioning base, so yes and no for its benefits.

If you already have those things, break dancing would be a good way for you to exercise them. If you don’t, you won’t really benefit from it because you’d be so limited in what you could actually perform.[/quote]

Would gymnastics be a good place to start?

Yes it would be great. Anything active doing something moving testing your self in any way will have benefit.

It would be a great place to start. But like I said in the “Too old to start gymnastics” thread, you need to be somewhat conditioned before starting gymnastics. Be able to: easily touch your toes, get close to the splits, do a bridge, do dips & pullups, ect.

I have two boys that use to take break dance. The thing that worried me was they did their gymnastic flips and tricks but it was on a hardwood floor instead of a matt. It just did not seem like a safe way to learn.

I have asked the gymnastic coach about a gymnastic class for adults and she said that it is hard to get insurance for adults.